Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP 1.85 Rocker Arms

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP 1.85 Rocker Arms

Would there be any problem staying with stock LS1 springs if I go with the SLP 1.85 rocker arms? They say they 'recommend' a spring upgrade as well. I'd rather be safe than sorry but don't want to spend unnecessary $.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2003, 06:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Why not go with yella terra rockers instead? never heard of an issue with those. Personally unless you have no plans for running a larger cam that has decently higher then stock lift numbers, I would steer clear of 1.85's, you run into p2v clearance issues later on I do believe. If you're planning on tearing down your valvetrain, why not do it all once. If money is an issue, call SLP and ask them. Then call a few sponsers and see what they say. Good luck bro.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Can you please explain to me what p2v is. I'm clueless.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2003, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why are you thinking about replacing the rocker arms? If you are redoing the heads, I could see that. But replacing only the rocker arms, I'd stick with the stock ratio of 1.7. When you bump up to 1.85, you start running into issues. As I mentioned before, you could possibly run into piston to valve clearance(which I'll try to explain in a second). Second, and more likely, you will run into issues with your springs when you upgrade your cam anywhere past stock. Even the TR224 might run into problems with the 1.85's and thats now considered a standard aftermarket cam, a bit mild to some even. Nevermind trying to run anything over that. I guess I should have asked for more info right off the bat.

Ok, piston to valve clearance is just that. It describes the condition created by the location of your pistons in relation to your valves. If your valves stay open too long, which would be caused by high duration numbers, then the harmonious cycle created between the valves and the pistons is thrown off track. Now, when the valves are closing late, if your piston is on the way back up at the same time, then they could simultaneously be at the same spot at the same time and slap into eachother. AKA piston slap. This is bad, considering it affects the entire mechanical process of your motor. It also can cause damage to your pistons, and valves, resulting in tore up piston tops and bent valves. No good either way.

Bottom line is, if you're planning on ever upgrading your cam, then with 1.85's you will definitely need to upgrade your springs along with it. 1.85's will limit your options down the road. Best advice I can offer is replace the stockers with Yella Terra 1.7's, and call it a day. Personally I'd wait until I was getting my heads ported. Its up to you tho man. Hope this helped. If you need anything else holla.

Quick Reply: SLP 1.85 Rocker Arms