Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

few questions about putting heads back on..

Old 04-13-2009, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default few questions about putting heads back on..

well i'm finally getting around to putting my engine back together.. i'm putting it back stock and i'm going to build an engine as the money comes on then swap them later.. but anyway i need to know which head gaskets are the best ones to buy, if a thinner one will benefit any, which thickness is the best? Are new head bolts required? also do i need to soak the lifters before i put them back in? whats the torque on the head bolts and rocker arms?

pacesetter or TSP ORY?
Old 04-13-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.6what
well i'm finally getting around to putting my engine back together.. i'm putting it back stock and i'm going to build an engine as the money comes on then swap them later.. but anyway i need to know which head gaskets are the best ones to buy, if a thinner one will benefit any, which thickness is the best? Are new head bolts required? also do i need to soak the lifters before i put them back in? whats the torque on the head bolts and rocker arms?

pacesetter or TSP ORY?

1. Stock. MLS will be much cheaper than Cometics and give you better DCR and no pre-detonation. .054 compressed.

2. If they are stockers yes cause they are one time use torque to yield. ARP you can reuse. Don't forget to lube them so tq. #'s aren't skewed.

3. About any torque spec you need is right >http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?category=1

Hello to another NC guy. Killed a couple nice deer on a friends farm up your way in Halifax Co.....One was a 140" 9 pointer

Good luck....
Old 04-13-2009, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do any of the head bolts go into the water jacket? meaning thread sealant needed?
if so what is the best to use with the ARP Molly lube?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
1. Stock. MLS will be much cheaper than Cometics and give you better DCR and no pre-detonation. .054 compressed.

Good luck....
Can you explain why the MLS give better DCR and no pre-detonation than Cometics?
Old 04-14-2009, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

nice where in nc are ya from. i live in northampton county

Search this Thread