Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Do a Oil Analysis Or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Do a Oil Analysis Or Not?

I am getting my car from storage in two/three weeks, its been sitting there since October 24th with approximately 2K mile old Mobil 1 oil, and I was just wondering if I should do the UOA as soon as I get her back or should I simply flush this oil out and put new one in and then do the test sometime mid summer when its time to change it again.

The reason I ask wether or not to wait or do it rite away is because im just wondering if there may be some difference in test data due to the fact that the car has not been driven or started since last october,I just dont know if that would cause any differences in the analysis......
Old 04-14-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My car has been sitting almost as long. If you have 2K on the oil, there is nothing wrong with it and it is not worth changing or analyzing. Best thing to do now is run the car, change the oil at its normal interval and if you want, take a sample when you change it.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

No if it's been sitting since last year get the car out of storage and change the oil, it's just a good idea to change the oil after it's been sitting for a while.

Why are you doing a oil test anyway? we have them done on our diesel motors but it's just to see if the motor needs a bearing roll(bearings get changed out) I don't think you would do this on a LS motor.

Anyhoo if your going to do this anyway have it done now and then at the end of the year b4 you park it....also you should park it with fresh oil in it, not to say yours isn't but if it's started to turn dark then you should change it b4 you park it.

Just my .02
Old 04-15-2009, 07:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly, for no particular reason really.

I heard bad things about Mobil 1, and this is what I am currently running and what the car was running with since brand new, she has 21,500 miles on her now. I was going to change the oil in it as soon as I got her out of storage in two-three weeks and I was going to take the oil and get it tested. My only concern was, should I get this particular batch of oil tested that has been sitting in my car since October last year, or should I just wait and do the next batch of used oil sometime mid/late summer?
Old 04-15-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure why you would take $35 of perfectly good oil and dump it because it sat in the motor for a few months. Guess GM and the rest who have had cars unsold better start changing all their oil.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Teching In

also if it has been sitting for a while you can poure a bit of oil in the cylinder just to lubercate the side walls..................

and when was the last time you changed your plugs,fuel filter, just reg. maintenence items.

I run Mobil 1 on both of my cars and no problems. I've also used valvaline syn. Haven't noticed a diff.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

The reason you change the oil after winter season is the oil HAS water in it. When it sits that long it separates from the oil and floats on top of it.

Do you want to pump that water through your engine or have it picked up by your crank?

Its just a safe thing to do honestly. Yea, it might not mess up your engine but is there any harm in doing it?

If you do change it I bet itll be pretty thick and youll see some breakdown in it.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just bought the car last year and it now has 21,500 miles on it. Why does it matter when i changed the plugs or anything else? For what its worth, all of that has been changed, and yes including the oil filter that gets changed with every oil change...........

Anyways, yes i am gonna change the oil that has been sitting in my car for the last 6 months, no doubt about it. I just wanted to see if its a good idea to get the testing done because it sat for so long (the oil)
Old 04-16-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

No need to get it tested honestly. Itll be a waste.

Just run the car with the new oil and then get that oil tested.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

Random question, where do you get a UOA done at? Do chain places do it locally?
Old 04-16-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Blackstone Labs are the only ones that do it. Just google it as they arent sponsers here.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:22 AM
Teching In

Sorry there Guy.... It was just a suggestion.

Maintenence is KEY in keeping a healthy vehicel.

Originally Posted by Striker
I just bought the car last year and it now has 21,500 miles on it. Why does it matter when i changed the plugs or anything else? For what its worth, all of that has been changed, and yes including the oil filter that gets changed with every oil change...........

Anyways, yes i am gonna change the oil that has been sitting in my car for the last 6 months, no doubt about it. I just wanted to see if its a good idea to get the testing done because it sat for so long (the oil)
Old 04-17-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Blackstone Labs are the only ones that do it. Just google it as they arent sponsers here.
Thanks a lot for the info
Old 04-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bballr4567
They are pretty good, i've used them before for rebuilds and also here at work for some hydraulic equipment.

To answer the initial question, see if this makes sense...

-Do the oil analysis with a possibility that the oil is contaminated. Cost $30 for analysis and possibly $30 for an oil change. Total $60.

-Change the oil. Total $30.

I think the oil analysis now may still be valid in regards to things like wear metals and insoluables. The key here is, make sure they know the details and they can better summarize the condition of your oil (BlackStone).

Last edited by KennethS; 04-17-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you do send it off do what KennethS said, make SURE that blackstone knows it sat for how long. Include the exact amount of days it that.

If you have questions I would call them. They are dang helpful for sure.