Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Um What did i do???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 05:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Um What did i do???

Well i did my cam swap, and just as i went to start it, i heard a loud POP, then immediatly heard the loudest 'PING"..It was ringing my ears.There was some faint smoke.And realized that i forgot to attatch the spark plug wires to the spark plug..So i shut it down..

I took the valve cover off and noticed that the 2nd to last rocker had no tension on the spring and it was torqued down!!!..Its not a piston, or connecting rod because the other rocker, has tension on the same cylinder..

It looks like the 7..I mean i can move the rocker up and down off/on the spring..I can't take it off, because irs torqued down

Im guessing a lifter went sideways???
Old 04-20-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

lifter may be in the oilpan .. or whats left of it ... and the valve may have hit the piston ... did you get the spring locks back on ? sorry to hear this ... lots of things could have happend ... did you turn the motor over by hand before starting ?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

The spring locks never came off..Yeah i turned it by hand so many times..Of course it gets difficult to turn when the rockers are on because you are building compression, other than that nothing..I mean why only that one??
Old 04-20-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

trying to understand your problem here...is there a pushrod on the back of the rocker, maybe forgot to install? did you use anything to hold the lifters up while you did your cam swap???

did you not install any plug wires or just the one where you have the problem?
Old 04-20-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

yeah there wa a pushrod against the lifter, rocker bolts torqued to 22ft lbs

i took off the heads first and then the lifters, then the cam..

i didnt install the wires on the driver side..forgot all of them..but i installed them on the coil packs
Old 04-20-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

so if you take the rocker off the pushrod is still against the lifter then right? the lifter may just need to be pumped up with oil pressure... have you tried starting the car again?

the loud pop may have just been the engine backfiring because half of it didnt have plugs on...
Old 04-20-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
so if you take the rocker off the pushrod is still against the lifter then right? the lifter may just need to be pumped up with oil pressure... have you tried starting the car again?

the loud pop may have just been the engine backfiring because half of it didnt have plugs on...
yeah the pushrod still is against the lifter or if its still there..I soaked theses lifters for a week..It still would not make sense as to why when you tighten the rocker bolt, the rocker dosen't compress on the spring??..

or atleast put some kind of pressure on it??
Old 04-20-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah i started it up again but not for long, just to check if i beard that god forsaken noise again, which i didnt..

but here lies the question

Why is that specific rocker not compressing the spring?
Old 04-20-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nalmak
Yeah i started it up again but not for long, just to check if i beard that god forsaken noise again, which i didnt..

but here lies the question

Why is that specific rocker not compressing the spring?
it wont compress the spring unless that lifter is on the lift part of the cam lobe...

or are you saying if you spin the motor over by hand that the rocker never pushes down on the spring? you need to spin it 2 full turns of the crank to be sure...
Old 04-20-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

it wont compress the spring unless that lifter is on the lift part of the cam lobe...

or are you saying if you spin the motor over by hand that the rocker never pushes down on the spring? you need to spin it 2 full turns of the crank to be sure...
Right but at least there should be some tension from keeping the rocker from movving up and down off the spring..Literally, you can pick up the tip that sits on the spring there is no pressure what so ever..

At least on the other ones, there is tension on the spring, so you cant move it..This one nothing as if the rocker isn't even there
Old 04-20-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Regular

Exactly, i turn it over, and it dosen't seat on the spring..

Ill try turning it more than 2 times and let you know right now
Old 04-20-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you bent a valve. Was there any coolant in the cylinder when you put it back together? I cant remember if you put heads or not. Is the tip of that valve lower than all the others? Also check the pushrod to see if it is bent.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

just make sure you have someone watching or check every 1/4 turn to see if that rocker is moving... there is no reason it shouldnt move though and im guessing it just needs to be run for a couple minutes for the lifter to pump up...
Old 04-20-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by topher455
Sounds like you bent a valve. Was there any coolant in the cylinder when you put it back together? I cant remember if you put heads or not. Is the tip of that valve lower than all the others? Also check the pushrod to see if it is bent.
No coolant in the cylinder when i assembled the heads back together..I checked the pushrods yesterday, and all are fine and straight....Ill check the valve tips right now..But when i looked yesterday, it all looked normal
Old 04-20-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

just make sure you have someone watching or check every 1/4 turn to see if that rocker is moving... there is no reason it shouldnt move though and im guessing it just needs to be run for a couple minutes for the lifter to pump up...
Thats probably where i heard the ping from..The rocker not seating on the spring, and the lifter pushing the pushrod up, and the rocker hitting the valve, and in turn maybe hitting the piston???

Its so weird cuz all the others are fine..I hope it aint that bad.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

could possibly be a bent valve too i guess... but if he turned it over by hand before he started it i would think he would have felt that. if there was coolant it wouldnt bend a valve it would most likely break a connecting rod when he fired it.

but if you did install the cam not perfectly dot to dot you could have bent a valve... you did verify dot to dot correct?
Old 04-20-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Regular

could possibly be a bent valve too i guess... but if he turned it over by hand before he started it i would think he would have felt that. if there was coolant it wouldnt bend a valve it would most likely break a connecting rod when he fired it.

but if you did install the cam not perfectly dot to dot you could have bent a valve... you did verify dot to dot correct?
Verified the crank dot is pointing to 12 and the cam dot is pointing at 6..
Old 04-20-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

When you are turning it over by hand, and you are building up compression..You can hear it right?..And its difficult to turn correct?
Old 04-20-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats probably where i heard the ping from..The rocker not seating on the spring, and the lifter pushing the pushrod up, and the rocker hitting the valve, and in turn maybe hitting the piston???

Its so weird cuz all the others are fine..I hope it aint that bad.
i honestly think the noise you heard was the engine back firing because you didnt have the plug wires installed on one side of the motor. if you look at the firing order it alternates from side to side... if one side doesnt fire the motor is going to make some funny sounds.

i dont think anything else could make a noise as loud as you described except for maybe a connecting rod or crank breaking.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

When you are turning it over by hand, and you are building up compression..You can hear it right?..And its difficult to turn correct?
yep sounds like a muffled hissing if you turn it slow... very difficult to turn it fast