Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C for my C5 - Please offer suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default H/C for my C5 - Please offer suggestions...

So I was planning on a VRX4 or Torquer 2 Cam previously to reach my power goals with the use I have of the car (read on). I was planning on using LS6 heads on my 2002 C5 coupe but the seller (ebay) basically flaked so I'm getting a refund from paypal. I now am able to buy other aftermarket heads and a cam... Here's what I want out of the car...
I'd like to make over 435whp, I'd like the car to drive down the highway in 6th @ 55mph with no surging, I could give fuckall about anything else really (idle, sound, etc) besides price. I'd like to do the heads, cam, valve springs, gaskets, studs, etc around (around = within $150) $2000.

So what do you all suggest? I know the budget is cheap but hopefully with some sound advice (and luck/a good deal) I can get to my goals.
Thanks
Old 04-20-2009, 03:58 PM
11 Second Club

Consider upping the budget. You can pretty much do any cam swap for around 600-1000 dollars. If you want some budget heads some TSP or Patriot stuff would be around another 1k. If you can step up the budget I would consider some Dart, AFR or Trickflow heads. The heads will really help if you have any future mods planned. Also what do you currently have done? Any bolts ons already or starting from scratch?
Old 04-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sigforty
Consider upping the budget. You can pretty much do any cam swap for around 600-1000 dollars. If you want some budget heads some TSP or Patriot stuff would be around another 1k. If you can step up the budget I would consider some Dart, AFR or Trickflow heads. The heads will really help if you have any future mods planned. Also what do you currently have done? Any bolts ons already or starting from scratch?
starting from completely stock LS1 motor (2002 so it at least has the LS6 intake tho). I plan on doing LG long tubes and exhaust as well as a vararam, t-stat, and a proper tune, but I have a budget for all of it.
If the car can make 435-450whp on pump gas with a good tune on Patriot or TSP heads and a good cam I'd be a-ok with it. The only upgrade I'd plan after that would be about a 150 shot of wet nitrous.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2009, 04:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just because we offer the PRC head at a budget price doesn't make them a budget product like the competitors in similar price range. Look in the dyno section for what your interested in. We can put together a complete heads cam package with Torquer 2 & PRC Stage 2.5 5.3l heads for about $1600 with pushrods!! Our heads & cam packages are one special currently & I can even discuss power differences from all the different camshafts we offer. We've dyno tested hundreds of different camshafts in stock short-blocks looking for the best possible peformers. Give us a call & I'm sure we can help you put together a package that can meet your goals.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 04-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
Just because we offer the PRC head at a budget price doesn't make them a budget product like the competitors in similar price range. Look in the dyno section for what your interested in. We can put together a complete heads cam package with Torquer 2 & PRC Stage 2.5 5.3l heads for about $1600 with pushrods!! Our heads & cam packages are one special currently & I can even discuss power differences from all the different camshafts we offer. We've dyno tested hundreds of different camshafts in stock short-blocks looking for the best possible peformers. Give us a call & I'm sure we can help you put together a package that can meet your goals.
Hey Jason, any difference between 5.3 heads and an LS6 version?
Old 04-20-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

HMM thats a tight budget to get all of that.

Here is what i would do. Try and find yourself a set of stock 243 heads and then get a ms3 cam package from TSP also get a new oil pump, oil pump O ring, and an ls2 timing chain

stock 243 heas $400-600
cam package $700
oil pump $110
Timing chain $42

On the high end $1500 in part not including shipping. You will be right there on you horse power needs. If you get a set of stage one PRC stage one heads for $1100 you will be at your price line budget of $2000 and you will have more than the power you want. All you need is a set of head gaskets and head bolts you dont need studs. You will be set now all you have to do is get wrenching.