Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get cam out of GenI 305 GM small block

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can't get cam out of GenI 305 GM small block

Trying to rebuild top end of 83 Silverado 305 small block. Original owner apparently didn't change oil. The lifters had to be pounded out using a crescent wrench and a hammer as a lever because there was a "ring" of carbon on the bottom edge of the lifters that wouldn't allow the lifter to pass through the lifter bores unless they were forced out. The center port on the lifter valley side of the heads is caked shut with baked on carbon. The lifter valley is full of carbon. I'm sure the piston skirts have carbon on them(even though I haven't seen them) because the crank is hard to rotate at certain points even though the heads are off and the lifter are out. The crank should spin freely at this point, but it hits hard spots as I turn the crank over. Anyway I can't get the cam out. It only came out 1" and stopped. I'm sure there is carbon built up on the cam journals keeping it from passing through the cam bearings even though I can't see the journals to prove it. My opinion is based on all the carbon I've see everywhere else as I tore this engine down. I can see carbon on the first cam journal in the little distance I was able to pull the cam out(one inch). Has anyone had this problem or can give me a suggestion on how to get this cam to come out of the block? There is no retaining plate on this GenI so I haven't figured out what keeps the cam from drifting as the engine is running unless the chain is supposed to keep the cam home. It has a double chain which I don't believe is stock which means someone has pulled this engine down before me.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know on most race motors there is a cam button used on the front of the cam that sits against the timing cover and holds it still. If you cam turn the motor over and spray some brake or carb clean on the cam it should help soften the carbon. I'm sure it needs new cam bearing so try hooking a four wheeler to the cam and pulling. J/K lol I tried that on some rusted up exhuast once but it didn't help. Keep working it back and forth you should be able to get it and if still not have a machine shop put it in there cleaning tank. That should free up any carbon.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

remove the fuel pump push rod.

Re'
Old 04-24-2009, 02:41 AM
TECH Regular

LOL..You cant get the cam out!!..Maybe you should Learn a 4 stroke motor, just like you posted on my thread..LOL..All that crap you wrote on my FIRST H/C, and here you are trying to get the Cam out..

Reach in your pants, Grab your pair that God Gave you..And Man Up

Its A Simple Pushrod engine..I thought you knew it all..Lol..
Old 04-24-2009, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lol!!
Old 04-24-2009, 02:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
Lol!!
Seriously..Im Laughing..Almost shed a tear..
Old 04-24-2009, 02:49 AM
Banned

Wow now ive seen everything cnc porting on other threads battling and now cant get the cam out its asimple v8 pushrods god made brake cleaner good luck
Old 04-24-2009, 07:20 AM
On The Tree

Hey, dude... can't get the cam out, huh? It's not as complicated as an overhead cam engine, but then you knew that. Well I guess it's a good thing you have "more than a little knowledge" because I wouldn't want you making any mistakes that even PeeWee Herman wouldn't laugh at. Dick. Karma's a bitch, ain't she?
Old 04-24-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

You asked for the bashing. Gotta say that last I checked, a crescent wrench (actually an adjustable wrench, crescent is a brand name) is not a hammer, it is not a mallet, it is a wrench of convenience. Not exactly sure how you used the hammer as a lever, but either way if you have damaged the lifter bores, you are in for some extra expense in the machine shop. It is very important that the lifter bore be not only of a known size (and there isnot a lot of variation allowed) but also of a given angle. With the buildup you are noticing in this engine, I am surprised you didn't take it to be tanked so that you could avoid damaging the block and any hard parts. As for the cam, you may as well go ahead and just use a very large hammer and pry bar, because I have a feeling the block isn't going to be worth the cost of machining, and the cam bearings are obviously toast. Hopefully you did pull the fuel pump already, and knew that the timing chain had to come off the cam pulley. Personally, if the engine is this abused, I would suggest just scraping the 305 and dropping a junkyard 350 in it.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Launching!

There is nothing that holds the camshaft in. Someone told me a long time ago that the lobes were cut at an angle to were the camshaft pulls its self back into the motor as its running. Made sense when they told me?
Old 04-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Teching In

My first guess was fuel pump rod. If it came out an inch, you should be out of the bearings. Sounds like a lot of damage.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slowrollin93
There is nothing that holds the camshaft in. Someone told me a long time ago that the lobes were cut at an angle to were the camshaft pulls its self back into the motor as its running. Made sense when they told me?
Flat tappet cams have a VERY slight angle milled accross the lobes so that the lifters will push back slightly and keep the cam in place. Roller cams can't have that slope, so you get other retention methods. The lobes should not effect getting the cam out of the block.