Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default SLP cam to big???

i was looking at this cam but im not sure if its to big its a SLP cam

Specs: Valve Lift Duration@.050
in: .590" 236º
ex: .590" 236º

Centerline - 112º
Lobe Separation - 112º

if not what kind of power would this make or what would be a better choice for a cam

I have a 2004 GTO and i am going to be getting LS6 stage 2.5 heads and i have kooks headers now
Old 04-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Launching!

I'd say around 425 rwhp if you got an M6...and I don't know too much about this camshaft man. However, it has very similar specs to the Torquer V.2 at .595/.598 lift and a 232/234 duration. Many guys with the Stage 2.5 5.3 heads with the Tv.2 are making between 415-440 rwhp...so I'd put you around that range, maybe a little less...

On a side note, I would recommend some other mods to compliment this h/c set up, such as; new timing chain, oil pump, and fueling via higher lbs injectors and possibly a MSD fuel booster or Kenne Bell boost a pump. If you have anymore questions let me know and I will try to guide you in the best direction.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"too"big for what?that's only slightly bigger than a 224r which has a .581 lift.we need some responses in here though.I also want to know about the down side of high lift.Like the cam i'm considering (chetr)has .601 lift,i'm worried about spring wear even though they'll be upgraded.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Launching!

Spring wear is an important thing to think about. However, if you go with a dual valvespring you should not have as much wear and should have added security. As far as "too much lift?" there are many guys running daily drivers that have well over .600 lift. The main issue is knowing what too much lift is and finding what the best fitting camshaft is for your application.

But, to answer your question: a high lift cam will provide better flow by getting the valves further open, to expend the burnt exhaust and to allow for better flow of the air fuel mixture into the engine. However, there are limits to going with too much lift. Trying to achieve higher lift on a short duration cam is very hard on valvetrain components and can create piston to valve issues. Also, having too much lift can create coil bind in certain situations.

I recommend that when putting an aftermarket camshaft in a car with a fair amount of lift, that one should take the necessary precautions to help prevent many valvetrain issues from occurring.

The purchasing of aftermarket Dual Valvesprings, aftermarket rocker arms, ported oil pump, heavier duty timing chain (LS2 or double roller), chromeoly pushrods, titanium retainers, copper gaskets are all ways to help ensure valvetrain and overall engine safety and reliablitly when installing an aftermarket camshaft with higher lift.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:35 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the response.At this point it's reinforcing the things that i'm learning.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Launching!

No problem man. Yeah, I've learned a lot from doing outside research and learning on my own. However, if you need any other info or have any questions just hit me up and I will help as best I can or direct you to someone who can.

And again, I cannot stress the importance of replacing various stock parts with aftermarket ones that will work better with your modifications and add extra security to your engine. Even though, it may be more money, the importance of having a reliable ride and peace of mind are more valuable than a couple extra hundred dollars.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 04goat350
i was looking at this cam but im not sure if its to big its a SLP cam

Specs: Valve Lift Duration@.050
in: .590" 236º
ex: .590" 236º

Centerline - 112º
Lobe Separation - 112º

if not what kind of power would this make or what would be a better choice for a cam

I have a 2004 GTO and i am going to be getting LS6 stage 2.5 heads and i have kooks headers now
First of all, what kinda power are you looking to make?

Like said before, it will probably be in the 415RWHP ballpark through an M6.

Looks like it would pull pretty good to around 6000 or so.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

well not sure if a 236/236 .590/.590 cam would fit with the ls6 stage 2.5 heads i could be wrong but if not its probably really close
Old 04-28-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badamn
"too"big for what?that's only slightly bigger than a 224r which has a .581 lift.we need some responses in here though.I also want to know about the down side of high lift.Like the cam i'm considering (chetr)has .601 lift,i'm worried about spring wear even though they'll be upgraded.
if u plan on staying with the stock heads i would not get a cam thats over .610 lift u can but the heads just dont make the power like it does in the lower lifts but if going with ported heads the flow over 300cfm at .600 lift then i would want a cam in like say .600's cause the heads will make more power. what im basically trying to say is its really all in the combo but i am going with a custom cam to meet my needs for a stock headed street car

Quick Reply: SLP cam to big???