Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I'm going to have my Comp 987 Valvesprings Cryogenically Frozen.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 02:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up So I'm going to have my Comp 987 Valvesprings Cryogenically Frozen.........

I figure it couldn't hurt, and may even help, who knows?

I'd like to test how strong the 987's I'm taking out are, and later compare it to the cryogenically frozen set when I remove them.

If I ship em out to ya, could anyone here test my used 987's to see how much wear they've endured?
Old 10-31-2003, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't know if you knew this already but if done wrong can completely ruin spring, that goes for anything cryogenically frozen. I will test them free of charge for ya.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TEA Brent
Don't know if you knew this already but if done wrong can completely ruin spring, that goes for anything cryogenically frozen. I will test them free of charge for ya.
I agree with you on that one!! I've used this place before to cryogenically treat my ring and pinion on my last car.

These guys are the best in Phx when it comes to cryoing car parts, and I've heard nothing but good things about them.

www.nitrotechusa.com
Old 10-31-2003, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by verbs
I figure it couldn't hurt, and may even help, who knows?

The Shadow knows.

IMO, it might hurt. How about running the idea past one of Comp's engineers, if you can get to talk with one. Spring wire and valve spring heat treating are very special. At the very least, check them for load and rate both before and after you treat them. If I were selling them and a customer cryo treated them I would be temped to disavow any warranty.

I'd like to test how strong the 987's I'm taking out are, and later compare it to the cryogenically frozen set when I remove them.

If I ship em out to ya, could anyone here test my used 987's to see how much wear they've endured?

I think you mean have they lost any load at a given height. Spring rate (lbs/inch) doesn't change with use, but they do "sag". If you didn't measure them when they were new, measuring them now won't tell you much.
My highly opinionated $.02.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:21 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,096 Likes on 720 Posts

Try sending an email to the head of the spring program at Comp, Thomas Griffin (not sure on spelling) and see what he says.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Try sending an email to the head of the spring program at Comp, Thomas Griffin (not sure on spelling) and see what he says.
Excellent idea. Spelling is correct.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

I think there are also some coatings that can be applied to the springs to help disipate heat. Might want to ask the engineer about these as well.