Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible heads/cam install on high mileage motor. What should I check?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible heads/cam install on high mileage motor. What should I check?

I'm debating doing a heads/cam swap on my 145,000 mile 98 A4 Corvette or building a stroker motor. I am planning on doing a compression and leak down check to help me decide how much I trust my stock shortblock. Are there any other relatively easy checks/tests you'd recommend?

My biggest concerns are the rings/bearings. I don't have any noticeable oil consumption other than I've got a small oil leak on the the back side of the motor (I think, there's something getting to the oil pan, it could be the oil pan gasket; haven't spent much time looking for any leaks) but either way it's not using even a 1/2 quart between 5000 mile Mobil1 changes.

While the H/C combo won't make near the power the stroker will, it is much more budget friendly, but it would be disappointing to break the shortblock soon after installing and then having to start over since the heads and cam I choose will probably not be the same selections I'd make for the stroker.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:31 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

As long as the engine has been properly maintained, you're good to go. I've done several 150K+ heads/cam cars that are still running fine.

Your right in line with doing a compression check. That'll check and make sure the bottom end is tight. I wouldn't worry about doing the leakdown test if you're doing heads. If the rings are worn out, it'll show on a compression test usually. If the compression check comes back good, build her up.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Teching In

I have 108K and plan on doing a H/C/I swap so I am not worried about the top end. What is the normal replacement interval for an LS1 timing setup and oil pump?
Old 06-04-2009, 11:26 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cresswellracing
I have 108K and plan on doing a H/C/I swap so I am not worried about the top end. What is the normal replacement interval for an LS1 timing setup and oil pump?
With 108K yours definitely needs to be redone.

In a stock engine the timing chain is usually good for 150K or so. But ANY time a cam is installed, people should be installing new chains.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

if everything tests out ok and u do go with h/c i would defiantly do lifters and a oil pump for sure and all the other small insurance things
Old 06-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Teching In

I'd probly go with whatever the cam mfgr suggested as far as lifters. I am leaning towards a TQ2 or 228 TSP cam, so I will get their recommendation.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Since youll be having the heads off I'd replace the lifters and the lifter trays and as always get new headbolts. Do a timing chain and an oil pump while your at it. Since you'll being doing heads, you'll have new springs and retainers so you wont have to worry about them. Since your gonna be going that far you might wanna change to at least a LS6 intake manifold instead of that LS1 intake manifold, that should be good for some horsepower.

Quick Reply: Possible heads/cam install on high mileage motor. What should I check?