Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the best CAM + Header combo for max power on 99 firehawk???

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whats the best CAM + Header combo for max power on 99 firehawk???

I if i was to purchase a header and cam combo from somewhere what would be the best combo to get for excrutiating power, within a decent price? Car is 99 firehawk with the only mod being an aftermarket ram air intake that replaced the factory one, and ive got the catback SLP dual/dual exhaust. Could i just take these to a garage and have them put it on when i get them or is there some mods i need to do first before a cam and header combo go in?
Old 11-02-2003, 09:54 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

by aftermarket ram air do you mean something like FTRA or SSRA or do you mean a lid. if you still have the stock lid you should definately replace that with an aftermarket one.

what is a "decent" price to you. at the lower price of the spectrum is pacesetter LT's. you can purchase them from TSP for 339 coated. you wont find a cheaper coated header then that. from pics i've seen and posts i've read build quality seems to be fitting and there havent been any glaring problems.

middle range headers are jet hots and hookers. i have jet hot coated headers and they have been great. i had slight fitment issues getting them in but once they were up there they fit fine and cleared everything. you can pick them up for about 500 or so.

the high end headers are kooks and qtp. they are stainless steel and flat out look bad ***. they run 700+ but i've yet to hear anything bad about them.

there are also others such as SLP, which i which dont seem to be worth it and they have bad ground clearance especially on lowered cars. the FLP setup seems to be good to, its 1300 bucks but comes with header, y-pipe w/ cats and racing pipes. and all the clamps and ****.

when it comes to LT's and HP gains i havent seen enough evidence to warrent changing from one brand to another soley (sp) on that fact. what you pay for is quality, fitment, and name.

no matter what headers you choose you'll need a new Y-pipe and o2 extensions. you can keep the D/D catback if you'd like. you'll need o2 sims for the rears and the fronts i believe if you dont run cats, for sure the rears though if you dont plan on making provisions in your new y-pipe for the rear o2 sensors.

as far as cam, you didnt state whether or not you have an m6 or a4, what type of power your looking for, it your car is a daily driver or not, what kinda lope you want, ect.

a 224 on a 114lsa or 112 if you want more lope would be a good place to starts. with the cam you'll aslo need new springs, what kind of cam you choice will affect what kinda springs you need. comps 918's are good for most applications but me personally wouldnt get them just for the problems they've had in the past.

i'd look into some other bolt ons too, to compliment the new headers and cam; ls6 intake, pulley, ect.

also factor in tuning for your new setup, unless you go with a really mild cam the stock tune will be fine but a 224+ while should run on stock tune, tuning would be very benificial to get the most out of the cam and to set the idle right and correct the AFR that will most likely be esscued from the new cam and headers (i.e running really rich, ect).

good luck with whatever setup you choose.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen 20hp pickup's from going to kooks headers over other brands. Kooks are awesome.