Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock Ls1 with compression change

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock Ls1 with compression change

with 9:1 compression with forged pistons and everything else stock. what kind of safe rwhp could i get out of a big turbo or twin turbos. its my daily driver but i love to go to the strip. about how much money would it cost me to change the compression with forged pistons?
Old 11-04-2003, 03:10 AM
TECH Resident

Personally, if the forged pistons are a must have on your list, then fine but I'd prefer to swap the heads to something less aggressive, say the 6.0 heads, and lower the CR that way. The skirts on LS1 pistons aren't that long as it is and may weaken in time to the point of failure in an aggressive F/I setup if you use low compression pistons.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jabroni
Personally, if the forged pistons are a must have on your list, then fine but I'd prefer to swap the heads to something less aggressive, say the 6.0 heads, and lower the CR that way. The skirts on LS1 pistons aren't that long as it is and may weaken in time to the point of failure in an aggressive F/I setup if you use low compression pistons.

so you would change the compression by swaping the heads to 6.0. what will my compression be? how much does a set of these 6.0 heads cost?
Old 11-04-2003, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

u can get 6.0L heads cheap if you want stockers...hell most shops will trade you ur 5.7's for a set of 6.0's...call up GTP...they probably will do a swap stock for stock. Now if you want work done to them (springs, guides, porting) you can probably figure 1500 and up for a good set from most any vendor.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

how will a stock set of 6.0's hold up with the turbo system pumping out 600rwhp?
Old 11-05-2003, 02:54 AM
TECH Resident

The heads should be fine...lifting one of them would concern me more. Make sure you use good quality studs and don't skimp. A set of regular 6.0 castings will give you roughly a CR of 9:1 (give or take). If money is no object, go with the LQ9 heads. They flow like LS6 heads and are a little bit more expensive, but if you want every drop of power use these. If not, the LQ4 heads will do fine and cost a little less.