Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine is bogging/sputtering at 3500rpm

Old 11-04-2003, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default engine is bogging/sputtering at 3500rpm

when accelerating in gear at 3500 rpm it seems like it doesnt want to go any higher and it starts losing power, almost backfiring. it only does it in gear though. only thing that has happened recently was a week ago at the track it hit the rev limiter and then next time down the track it almost seemed like 2-3 shift was slipping. car pulls hard to 3500 but then it starts acting up.. any ideas? thanks
Old 11-05-2003, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any ideas?
Old 11-05-2003, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thunderstruck
any ideas?

Have you pulled codes yet? mine was doing the same thing and come to find out after pulling the codes it was my sensor for the cam, I could get it up to between 3200 - 3500 then it would bog, backfire, even died a couple of times. If you baby it from a stop will it go okay till 3K ? or how bout full on from a stop will it just bog and stutter big time? anyway's mine was the sensor took care of all my problems with a new one
Old 11-05-2003, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cartonic
Have you pulled codes yet? mine was doing the same thing and come to find out after pulling the codes it was my sensor for the cam, I could get it up to between 3200 - 3500 then it would bog, backfire, even died a couple of times. If you baby it from a stop will it go okay till 3K ? or how bout full on from a stop will it just bog and stutter big time? anyway's mine was the sensor took care of all my problems with a new one
I havent pulled codes yet since i !air, egr and the check engine light is on all the time. everything is fine until it gets to about 3400 rpm, eveing leaving hard it is fine until 3400. if i rev it in park i can go past 3500 and it is fine. did yours do that also? thanks for the reply!
Old 11-06-2003, 07:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thunderstruck
I havent pulled codes yet since i !air, egr and the check engine light is on all the time. everything is fine until it gets to about 3400 rpm, eveing leaving hard it is fine until 3400. if i rev it in park i can go past 3500 and it is fine. did yours do that also? thanks for the reply!

Yes mine would be okay while in park, as I understand it, if you are not putting a load on the motor ie....in gear, you can rev the whole range without any problems. You can get an OBDII reader for about $120.00 from Kragens, Autozone, Napa, and others. It sounds like it might be your sensor but of course I'm just comparing what you stated with my personal exp.

Good Luck
Johnnie
Old 11-06-2003, 09:25 AM
TECH Regular

Sounds like what just happen to me. I hope that in your case it's not. I had the same problem except my car was fine all the way up till 4.5k and then it would just fall on it's face. It turned out to be a broken valve spring. You car seems to be in a decent state right so go get it check out by the dealership before it get any worse. I thought it was something else fuel related so i kind of put it off and it only made it worse. It finaly just fell on it's face. What kind of sound is you car making? Does it souns like a sewing machine. I think another possible problem could be that you bent a pushrod or broke a rocker arm. The only reason i dont think it's a pushrod is that you will still have most of your power. I hope this helps.

Tony
Old 11-06-2003, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How about spark plug wires? Have you checked to make sure they are all completely on?
Old 11-06-2003, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zulater
Sounds like what just happen to me. I hope that in your case it's not. I had the same problem except my car was fine all the way up till 4.5k and then it would just fall on it's face. It turned out to be a broken valve spring. You car seems to be in a decent state right so go get it check out by the dealership before it get any worse. I thought it was something else fuel related so i kind of put it off and it only made it worse. It finaly just fell on it's face. What kind of sound is you car making? Does it souns like a sewing machine. I think another possible problem could be that you bent a pushrod or broke a rocker arm. The only reason i dont think it's a pushrod is that you will still have most of your power. I hope this helps.

Tony
up until 3500 its running just fine, but when it hits that rpm, it doesnt want to go any higher rpm and it seems like its cutting out and missing. i just dont understand why its doing it only at 3500+ and not all the time. thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Almost the same thing happened to me. Spark plugs. Get NGK-TR55s and throw those in there. Have you checked the spark plugs recently? In anycase, if you do replace them, post pictures. Either you have carbon tracking on them or they are cracked. GL!
Old 11-06-2003, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smoke_Ford
Almost the same thing happened to me. Spark plugs. Get NGK-TR55s and throw those in there. Have you checked the spark plugs recently? In anycase, if you do replace them, post pictures. Either you have carbon tracking on them or they are cracked. GL!
i havent checked spark plugs cause they were replace about 9k mi ago. and the wires were just changed about 2500 mi ago.. i will check them. thanks
Old 11-06-2003, 03:16 PM
FormerVendor

Do you hear any whistling when this happens?
Old 11-06-2003, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
Do you hear any whistling when this happens?
no i dont hear any whistling. what would that be?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine is bogging/sputtering at 3500rpm