Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I make good power but...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post I make good power but...

Everyone has been telling me I need a bigger cam BAD! And that the current one I have with my setup is leaving my heads begging for more...

build is in sig pic...

I'm thinking maybe a VRX5 Camshaft

but first thing is first... I'm not looking for an all out drag car... This is a fun weekend cruiser/racer. I know when going to the larger cams you sacrifice some drivability, and that's fine to a point. But I don't wanna have a struggle to keep it running at a red light while the A/C is on... get it?

my reality goal is 500rwhp... i'm currently at about 450rwhp...

I'm thinking/hoping that with a larger cam, and a FAST Manifold/NW TB combo I could break that barrier or maybe get close to it.

Do you guys think that the new Vengeance 96/96 setup is too much for my setup with that VRX5 Camshaft?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nitrous?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

why do they say you need a bigger cam? and do you think you need a bigger cam. do you like how the car runs right now? bigger cams will work fine if you pay the money for a good tune.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 05 GSXR 1XXX
nitrous?
no... no nitrous. I'm an ALL MOTOR kinda guy

Originally Posted by DALLAS
why do they say you needa bigger cam? bigger cams will work fine if you pay the money for a good tune.
I've heard the smaller 224R (some call a "baby cam") cam that I have is choking the AFR's off...

with the combination of a larger cam and better IM/TB setup, I've been told I would gain quite a bit that I'm leaving on the table at this moment...
Old 05-19-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

224 is a small cam compared to others, but doesnt mean not a good cam.. its not going to get the power you want but has all round powerband.

you could step up into the 230's maybe even the 240's for your set up..

your going to get a huge cam, then your going to need a steep gear.. i vote nitrous lol
Old 05-19-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ask predz or patg and tell them what you want your car for, track or street, explain your 500 hp goal, explain current mods....

they will fix you up just right! ....or you could just use nitrous... i kid i kid
Old 05-19-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could use a larger cam, but don't get to tied up in dyno numbers.... You have a few more cubes than I do and I run a little larger cam.... figure with a 23X/23X cam... you may pick up 20-30 rwhp...

I would rather see you invest in a ported 92/92 setup. And don't hate on the nitrous my friend. Its alot of fun and makes for great insurence.

Nice car BTW... real clean.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

with a cam like the vrx5, your power band is going to be in the higher rpms. with a cam like yours your powerband is in the lower to mid rpms. you might not have the peak power the bigger cams have, but you will still have the power under the curve. since you have a 6.0 you might consider going with a the same style cam, just a little bigger. have you read this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cam-guide.html ? i agree with above too, you might wanna shoot patrick g or predator z a pm and see what they say.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have a good friend with a 370 CI LS2 vette, he made 512? to the wheels but with 225's, a fast 90, and a 236/242 cam. The car cruises with the AC on no problem.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wes.. I think you could go up 10*-12* on your cam and notice very little if no drivabiltiy issues for a DD. I am on stock cubes and the only negative I experince is I have to warm it up a minute in could weather before I can go or it will knock off. With my lsa+advance bottom is great and it has has totally perfect manners around town. For a shelf cam a Tsunami might be pretty good for what you are looking for but get PG or PZ to spec you one and that will prolly be your best bet. I have always admired your build but thought it could use a little more cam. Since you have AFR heads maybe give Tony a call. And I think if you could pick up a used 90/90 like I did it would optimize your set up without breaking the bank...I don't think you will feel a sotp diff between a 90/92/.

GREAT LUCk......

Last edited by SOMbitch; 05-26-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The real question is what do you want out of your car - who cares what everyone else wants?

That said, if you are willing to spring for a FAST manifold, you might consider getting it ported with the money you would spend on another camshaft. While you won't get 50rwhp from those mods, you'll get a decent increase, and still have your same drivability.

Keep in mind, the cam you currently have is very similar to the "blue pill" combo that Tony Mamo at AFR recommends. Only the exhaust duration differs.

Last edited by hammertime; 05-19-2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: added cam info
Old 05-19-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by landonew
You could use a larger cam, but don't get to tied up in dyno numbers.... You have a few more cubes than I do and I run a little larger cam.... figure with a 23X/23X cam... you may pick up 20-30 rwhp...

I would rather see you invest in a ported 92/92 setup. And don't hate on the nitrous my friend. Its alot of fun and makes for great insurence.

Nice car BTW... real clean.
Thanks for the compliment

yes, as mentioned, I was thinking about doing it all at once... cam, IM, and TB

Originally Posted by DALLAS
with a cam like the vrx5, your power band is going to be in the higher rpms. with a cam like yours your powerband is in the lower to mid rpms. you might not have the peak power the bigger cams have, but you will still have the power under the curve. since you have a 6.0 you might consider going with a the same style cam, just a little bigger. have you read this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cam-guide.html ? i agree with above too, you might wanna shoot patrick g or predator z a pm and see what they say.
yea... i've read the cam guide quite a few times. It's pretty much how I've learned to read what each part of a cam does and what effects the duration, lsa, lift, etc... will have. Great write-up!

as far as when you say "same style"... what is it that you mean? little confused there lol

thanks for the input btw!

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Wes.. I think you could go up 10*-12* on your cam and notice very little if no drivabiltiy issues for a DD. I am on stock cubes and the only negative I experince is I have to warm it up a minute in could weather before I can go or it will knock off. With my lsa+advance bottom is great and it has has totally perfect manners around town. For a shelf cam a Tsunami might be pretty good for what you are looking for but get PG or PZ to spec you one and that will prolly be your best bet. I have always admired your build but thought it could use a little more cam. Since you have AFR heads maybe give Tony a call. And I think if you could pick up a used 90/90 like I did it would optimize your set up without breaking the bank...I don't think you will feel a sotp diff between a 90/92/96.

GREAT LUCk......
Thanks for the kind words man!

who makes the tsunami cam? I'll have to take a look at it... when it gets closer to the time I can actually afford to do this mod I'll probably bug Patrick, Predator, and/or Tony and give em a call/PM

Originally Posted by hammertime
The real question is what do you want out of your car - who cares what everyone else wants?

That said, if you are willing to spring for a FAST manifold, you might consider getting it ported with the money you would spend on another camshaft. While you won't get 50rwhp from those mods, you'll get a decent increase, and still have your same drivability.
I was absolutely looking at getting it ported... I don't buy stuff unless I can get the best for the most part... I'd rather wait and save than settle. I believe in only doing it once then moving on to the next mod LOL

again thanks for all the kind words and input guys! every bit of this helps!
Old 05-19-2009, 11:31 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No that cam is not choking your heads off. The AFR 205's are made for street performance not an all out top end drag queen which is what a 346 pushing 500rwhp is.

You can go bigger and pick up some top end but you will effect your driveability.
BUT to get 500 rwhp those 205's need to be worked over and even then it would be a max expensive effort.

We can grind you a cam that makes sense and will give you some more top end but I doubt you will hit 500rwhp. People who have hit 500rwhp in a 346 either went solid roller or TFS 215's and a big cam. BUT your talking about a $4600 top end on a factory 346... $2450 TFs 215's + $450 rockers +1300 for prted FAST and TB + $400 for cam. Just doesnt make sense money wise to me. I'd go with a bigger bottom end and keep your heads and make more power as well as having it be more streetable.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
No that cam is not choking your heads off. The AFR 205's are made for street performance not an all out top end drag queen which is what a 346 pushing 500rwhp is.

You can go bigger and pick up some top end but you will effect your driveability.
BUT to get 500 rwhp those 205's need to be worked over and even then it would be a max expensive effort.

We can grind you a cam that makes sense and will give you some more top end but I doubt you will hit 500rwhp. People who have hit 500rwhp in a 346 either went solid roller or TFS 215's and a big cam. BUT your talking about a $4600 top end on a factory 346... $2450 TFs 215's + $450 rockers +1300 for prted FAST and TB + $400 for cam. Just doesnt make sense money wise to me. I'd go with a bigger bottom end and keep your heads and make more power as well as having it be more streetable.

he has a 6.0
Old 05-19-2009, 11:48 PM
Banned

Missed that! I think he would still need to have the heads worked, 205's flow great for what they were intended for. Your still looking at $1300 for an intake and $400 for a cam, that's another $1700 on top and I dont think he will hit his goal of 500 rwhp.
WEllllll... maybe, just maybe if we wind it up to 7000 rpms, but my thought is that Mamo would recommend working the heads over to hit the mark still...LOL
Old 05-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Launching!

geta hpe mega death cam
Old 05-20-2009, 12:04 AM
11 Second Club

i would leave it and get the intake and everything, it doesnt make sense money wise for you to tear back into the motor and put in a new cam to lose some driveability and gain 20whp and lose your current powerband (which i bet is phenomenal on the street)...also with the extra money you could go for something like cutouts and other little things that help...
Old 05-20-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Missed that! I think he would still need to have the heads worked, 205's flow great for what they were intended for. Your still looking at $1300 for an intake and $400 for a cam, that's another $1700 on top and I dont think he will hit his goal of 500 rwhp.
WEllllll... maybe, just maybe if we wind it up to 7000 rpms, but my thought is that Mamo would recommend working the heads over to hit the mark still...LOL
500 is a hard number to hit. You could hit 502 on one dyno, then hit 489 on the other one across town. Have to worry about the dyno too not just the motor Just something to think about.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:12 AM
Banned

Yep very good point. Honestly I'd leave it as is and go bigger cubes in the future if need be to scratch the itch
Old 05-20-2009, 01:23 AM
TECH Junkie

I guess what got me started on this whole deal is the fact that my buddies 3rd gen camaro (LS1 Swap w/232/240 .650 112 cam) stays with me on the freeway... he's got headers, K&N, auto with a cam... stock everything else... so I beg to ask WTF!

Quick Reply: I make good power but...