Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me put a god engine combo

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me put a god engine combo

well i can get a really good deal on a roller not to far from where i live and i was thinking about buying it. this would be my first camaro(2001) so i am not really sure what would work good with what...im looking to spend under 9k on all the parts and was wanting to do either procharger or turbo and make 650+whp and still be streetable. what would be a good engine for either of the two forced induction and my power range?
thanks in advance for any help and im probably going to get flamed but dont know have anyone else to ask
Old 05-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Restricted User

$9k isn't going to buy a SC'er or turbo setup and build a engine from scratch. The $9k could dissapear just in building a good forged short block and buying a GOOD H/C package to top it off.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by willyfastz
$9k isn't going to buy a SC'er or turbo setup and build a engine from scratch. The $9k could dissapear just in building a good forged short block and buying a GOOD H/C package to top it off.
X2 My forged short block, heads, cam, and the reast of the little things + gaskets was about 8k. Then another 7k into the fuel system and procharger. I still am not finished, still have about another 3k to go.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...induction.html
Not trying to scare you just be prepared to spend alot of money.

Last edited by conan; 05-27-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Teching In

ok so i ruled out getting the roller and get one that has an ls1 in it. But i have been looking at the kentucky turbo and performance set up with the t76 and the stage 2 fueling. but what else would i need to upgrade on the stock ls1 to make it very reliable for a DD to make 600-700whp?

man i feel so dumb on this platform. im coming from Audis being that my cars already turboed when i wanted to make more power i just needed to upgrade turbos and fueling. so i do not know to many good companies for upgrading the ls1. thanks for the info and please keep it coming
Old 05-28-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The stock crank and ls1 block can handle that power no problem. The rod's and pistons need to be forged. Also you should upgrade the main cap bolts to studs and stud the heads. A ported oil pump and either a double roller or ls2 timing chain is recomended.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

Why not go N/A??? You could make good power and be streetable at a lower price. You might not reach 700hp, but it will be cheaper. Now if you are set in force induction I agree with CONAN, read the following sticky and go from there https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...induction.html Whichever way you plan on going, do your research and stick with your plan. Good luck with your build.