Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls6 heads and intake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 11:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls6 heads and intake?

hello! this is my first time on this site and i must say its awesome, i cant stop reading everyones questions and comments. i dont know a whole lot about the ls1 so im sorry if these are ridiculous questions. [B]are the ls1 and ls6 heads the same or is there a difference? same thing with the intake are they the same intakes or are the ls6 heads and intake a step up performance wise for the ls1? thanks to anyone who is willing to take the time to clear this up for, im looking at buying a 2000 t/a m6 and want more performance out of the stock ls1 but it has to have nice road manners.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:37 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

welcome aboard man , this site is definately ****** awesome and theres pretty not anything you cant learn here.

to answer your questions.

http://www.idavette.net/hib/ls6/page2.htm

also good reading on the ls1

http://www.idavette.net/hib/ls1c.html

i myself have an ls6 intake, no dyno numbers to back it up but you can expect 10hp on a stock application and 15-20 on a moddified one. you'll need new coolant tubes and you'll have to remove your egr system.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, I totally agree with JRP. This site ****** rocks.
Welcome to the board bro

To answer your question, both breathe better, prevents your engine from suffocating. If you're lookin to heavily mod your car the LS6 intake is a must. The heads aren't as important, as you can get your stock heads port & polished and they will flow quite nicely(still not as nice as a port and polished set of LS6 heads but the cores are usually another 1300 bare). The ls6 heads also have different cc numbers, and in turn change the compression ratio of the engine. Stock LS1 is 10.1, with ls6 heads its 10.5. Hope that didn't go over your head, even if it did just read around and you'll understand, lord knows I'm no expert either LOL. Keep readin, asking questions. You'll be good to go.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:33 PM
Teching In

thanks for replying so quickly, that totally clears it up.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:17 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

There is someone on here who posted some CFM numbers for each combination of stock LS6 and LS1 heads and intakes.

The LS6 intakes gave almost NO gain when paired to LS1 heads compared to the LS1 intakes.

Of course, I wouldn't take one off if I had it, but some people think it isn't exactly $450 well spent.

The LS6 and LS1 heads have different shaped intake ports. So putting the LS6 intake (which is matched to the LS6 heads) didn't provide a big increase in airflow.

So check around first, because no matter who you ask, there is always someone who knows more (or at least thinks they do ).
Old 11-07-2003, 09:25 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by z98
There is someone on here who posted some CFM numbers for each combination of stock LS6 and LS1 heads and intakes.

The LS6 intakes gave almost NO gain when paired to LS1 heads compared to the LS1 intakes.

Of course, I wouldn't take one off if I had it, but some people think it isn't exactly $450 well spent.

The LS6 and LS1 heads have different shaped intake ports. So putting the LS6 intake (which is matched to the LS6 heads) didn't provide a big increase in airflow.

So check around first, because no matter who you ask, there is always someone who knows more (or at least thinks they do ).
so where did the hp gain from the 01-02's come from. it certainly wasnt the smaller cam.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:34 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

lol

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/111510-98-00-ls1-heads-different-than-01-02-a.html

Ask this guy maybe?

And where did you get your expected dyno increases from?

My guess is some place your charmin knows all too well

I have no idea where the horsepower increases come from. I didn't even know there were horsepower increases. Heads are slightly different some say. And even if that is the case, you aren't exactly proving your point for an LS6 intake

Of course, if you have any proof of what you're saying, I'll retract all this and admit you were right all along.

Not holding my breath

P.S. - can you make your signature longer? I like reading it multiple times. Especially when the combined length of your signatures equals the rest of the thread.

At least put the mods side by side or something. Or how about a link to a list of your mods page?
Old 11-07-2003, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

The ls6 intake has been proven time and again by dyno #'s to be a horsepower adders. And yes, if you want to see the list of cc's vs compression ratio's, the list is on a sticky on the top. The heads have a different sized cc, and the intake is ported compared to the ls1(flows better). On a bolt on car, the effects will be less so, but as soon as you add a cam and heads you will have avoided a major bottleneck. Even stock you should expect 10hp with an LS6 intake.

z98, I happen to enjoy reading his sig again and again. It helps me memorize his car, so I can hopefully recite it back to him someday. WHO CARES HOW LONG HIS SIG IS, ITS HIS CHOICE. LOL. Don't bring malice into this post or site. Its a great site with a lot of great people here, no need to nitpick over silly crap like that. Scroll a little more each time, its your choice to read it or not LOL.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:32 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Default Oh boy...

The ls6 intake has been proven time and again by dyno #'s to be a horsepower adders.
Where has this been proven? I asked for proof, not more opinion. We have plenty of that as-is.

If its been proven time and again SHOW ME. That's all I asked.

And yes, if you want to see the list of cc's vs compression ratio's, the list is on a sticky on the top.
Wow, are we even reading the same thread? Man, if you can't follow along please don't give us your $.02. The thread topic is: differences in hp from early LS1's to late LS1's. NOT LS1 vs. LS6.

Do try to keep up!

the intake is ported compared to the ls1(flows better).
Yeah I said this. If you just repeat what I'm saying, this thread will be even longer than his sig is already making it.

But since you brought it up, don't.

The ports on the LS6 intake are matched to the LS6 heads. So slapping a LS6 intake on LS1 heads (which are not matched to the LS6 intake) isn't the ideal way to make power.

Wait, didn't I already say this?

Even stock you should expect 10hp with an LS6 intake.
Okay, why should I expect that? I've never seen any dyno numbers. So SHOW ME. Stop telling me what you think they should be and tell me how you got this information. Is that so hard to ask? Well, for someone who doesn't even know what's going on in the thread it just might be!

z98, I happen to enjoy reading his sig again and again. It helps me memorize his car, so I can hopefully recite it back to him someday. WHO CARES HOW LONG HIS SIG IS, ITS HIS CHOICE. LOL.
Its long and annoying. 'nuff said. Just like its my choice to say something about it. Who cares? Its my choice LOL

Don't bring malice into this post or site.
Only someone who doesn't have a clue would say that. I was clearly NOT being malicious, but playful. I even said I'd completely bow to his almighty knowledge if I was proven wrong.

I'd ask you not to bring stupidity to this post or site, but I'd just be adding to the problem by asking for a response.

Scroll a little more each time, its your choice to read it or not LOL.
So scroll a little more each time, its your choice to read or not read my "malice"

LOL

gg
Old 11-08-2003, 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

dude call mti, tr, or any other sponsor and i'm sure they'll provide enough proof. for u to act like an idiot and say that the more volume, better flowing LS6 intake doesn't produce more hp just shows how illiterate you are on these cars. man why am i wasting my time, you'll never listen...but I DARE YOU to call any sponsor..I'm sure they'll have plenty of graphs w/only change being the intake to prove. now untill u do that..crawl back where u came from.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:41 AM
Launching!

ls6 flows more than the old ls1 intake. Ls6 heads flow more than Ls1 heads. More flow= more power. If someone didnt gain anything they probably needed tuning.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

FWIW

I know a guy that was making ~385rwhp with heads, cam, bolt on's & tune on a 99 SS. He added the LS6 intake and the car made 403rwhp. No head work etc and these were 99 ie 853 castings. While that gain may not be typical of ever car out there it did occur. He has the graphs from the same dyno to show the gain.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:07 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

while z98 waits for proof i and others will enjoy or setups with our ls6 intakes. he's just leaving hp on the table, his choice.

and z98, whats your opinion on the new fast lsx intake, if its not port matched to the ls1 heads or ls6 heads vice/versa are you gonna say they'll be no hp gains there either
Old 11-08-2003, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrp
while z98 waits for proof i and others will enjoy or setups with our ls6 intakes. he's just leaving hp on the table, his choice.

and z98, whats your opinion on the new fast lsx intake, if its not port matched to the ls1 heads or ls6 heads vice/versa are you gonna say they'll be no hp gains there either
Hahaha... "Werd" brother!!
Old 11-08-2003, 11:47 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

So while you guys are busy sucking eachother off, did anyone bother to read the thread?

There is a LOT of things you can do to these cars for the $450 needed for an LS6 intake.

I never said it didn't flow better, even when paired to LS1 heads.

Pay attention stupids

This is typical of people who spend money on their cars and say that you should expect 25 hp increases because they "feel" like it increased their car that much.

dude call mti, tr, or any other sponsor and i'm sure they'll provide enough proof. for u to act like an idiot and say that the more volume, better flowing LS6 intake doesn't produce more hp just shows how illiterate you are on these cars.
Okay. I never disagreed with the better flow of the LS6 intake. Did you read the thread? CFM increases on stock LS1 heads weren't that impressive.

And you don't know how to use the word illiterate, idiot.

You could have called me car-illiterate, or LS1-illiterate. Your usage is akward and juvenile.

It would have been a little better to say ignorant, if that's your summation.

But then, what you're telling me is, anyone who needs proof before spending $450 (or any money on mods) is less competent than you.

Where is this 25 hp proof everyone keeps refering to? You think I don't like LS6 intakes or something, but the truth is if they give 25 RWHP for $450 I'll have one on my car in a matter of days. I hope it DOES give great gains like that.

But I have to SEE it first.

They sell electric turbos on e-bay, and the company guarantees they work. It doesn't matter if physics prevents electric turbos from effectively helping your car, THE COMPANY THAT SELLS THEM SAYS IT WORKS.

Did you place your order yet?

dude call mti, tr, or any other sponsor and i'm sure they'll provide enough proof.
Gee, they will show proof their product works? Does that mean you went and bought a velocity stack too? Wasn't it claiming 10 hp for $50? And your precious LS6 intake makes 25 hp at most? So from what I can tell, the velocity stack is about 4-5 times better in hp/$ ratio!

So did you buy one? I mean, the company said it worked!

All I asked for was some unbiased back to back numbers on an LS6 intake before I spend $450.

And so far, no one has delivered.

I didn't say there were no gains, I just said the CFM gains didn't impress me, so I'd have to see actual HP gains on a dyno.

now untill u do that..crawl back where u came from.
Okay, I will, but only if you promise to crawl back to 8th grade English and pay attention this time. C-A-P-I-T-A-L-I-Z-A-T-I-O-N. Try it. It works. This isn't AOL Instant Messenger and I'm not some pre-teen girl.

ls6 flows more than the old ls1 intake. Ls6 heads flow more than Ls1 heads. More flow= more power. If someone didnt gain anything they probably needed tuning.
I never disputed this.

Or I'm leaving the $450 in my pocket for proven mods to my car

I never said there wouldn't be gains on an LS6 intake! More flow = hp. My question has been HOW MUCH GAIN. If you morons are going to gang up on me, at least read the thread first

Hahaha...
Yeah, it is pretty funny when a very stupid person backs up another stupid person without even reading what's going on! Brilliant!
Old 11-08-2003, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z98
So while you guys are busy sucking eachother off, did anyone bother to read the thread?

There is a LOT of things you can do to these cars for the $450 needed for an LS6 intake.

Pay attention stupids

This is typical of people who spend money on their cars and say that you should expect 25 hp increases because they "feel" like it increased their car that much.

Okay. I never disagreed with the better flow of the LS6 intake. Did you read the thread? CFM increases on stock LS1 heads weren't that impressive.

And you don't know how to use the word illiterate, idiot.

You could have called me car-illiterate, or LS1-illiterate. Your usage is akward and juvenile.

It would have been a little better to say ignorant, if that's your summation.

But then, what you're telling me is, anyone who needs proof before spending $450 (or any money on mods) is less competent than you.

Where is this 25 hp proof everyone keeps refering to? You think I don't like LS6 intakes or something, but the truth is if they give 25 RWHP for $450 I'll have one on my car in a matter of days. I hope it DOES give great gains like that.

But I have to SEE it first.

They sell electric turbos on e-bay, and the company guarantees they work. It doesn't matter if physics prevents electric turbos from effectively helping your car, THE COMPANY THAT SELLS THEM SAYS IT WORKS.

Did you place your order yet?

Gee, they will show proof their product works? Does that mean you went and bought a velocity stack too? Wasn't it claiming 10 hp for $50? And your precious LS6 intake makes 25 hp at most? So from what I can tell, the velocity stack is about 4-5 times better in hp/$ ratio!

So did you buy one? I mean, the company said it worked!

All I asked for was some unbiased back to back numbers on an LS6 intake before I spend $450.

And so far, no one has delivered.

I didn't say there were no gains, I just said the CFM gains didn't impress me, so I'd have to see actual HP gains on a dyno.

Okay, I will, but only if you promise to crawl back to 8th grade English and pay attention this time. C-A-P-I-T-A-L-I-Z-A-T-I-O-N. Try it. It works. This isn't AOL Instant Messenger and I'm not some pre-teen girl.

I never disputed this.

Or I'm leaving the $450 in my pocket for proven mods to my car

I never said there wouldn't be gains on an LS6 intake! More flow = hp. My question has been HOW MUCH GAIN. If you morons are going to gang up on me, at least read the thread first

Yeah, it is pretty funny when a very stupid person backs up another stupid person without even reading what's going on! Brilliant!
ohhh...man. u are the shizznit...let me bow
Old 11-08-2003, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z98

Pay attention stupids

I'm not going to contribute to your ridiculous posts any more but to say this. If you think there are negligible gains to be made in HP by going to the LS6 over the original LS1 intake you are plainly wrong. This HAS been proven on the dyno many times over. Rather than wasting time asking everyone for proof, why don't you use the search feature and see what you can find on your own.

Where do you think the increased RWHP #'s on stock 01'-02' F-bodies came from? Nowhere? Stock for stock the 01'-02' cars dyno higher than previous years. The LS6 intake was implemented STOCK FROM GM on 01'-02' F-bodies, and with the same LS1 heads - that's right L-S-1 heads. The INTAKE port openings on the LS6 AND LS1 heads are the same, so what is this BS from you that the LS6 intake doesn't match LS1 heads? What the hell are you talking about?

You can do more mods to your car and leave the old LS1 intake in place, but the more mods you do the more you are restricting the engine with the LS1 intake in place.

Please try to gather a little more information first and you won't come off like such an assclown.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Originally Posted by z98

pure pure pure

newbie: speaks
a pointless

: :

rant

Old 11-08-2003, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

I hate to say it, Bud, but JRP knows his stuff, as has been evident by his responses to several (read: many) threads posted in any number of the technical forums. I suggest you not argue with a rather well-known, and proven, fact. Good luck proving otherwise, though.

Mike
Old 11-08-2003, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes JRP Know's his stuff and if you can read there's been more than one occasion to where just adding the LS6 intake has improved HP. Do a search!!