Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam help

Old 11-07-2003, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cam help

I am trying to find out about installing a cam in my 99 ls1 but I have been told a couple of different things about install. First I talked to Doug Rippie Motor sports they told me I had to have computer reprogramed if I installed cam. Then I talked to comp cams and was told that cam will work and no driveability issues would occurr. So will I need computer programed or not??? If you are wondering car is stock with 3" exhaust. If any one knows let me know thanks.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:52 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what are the cams specs first of all. that will determine how soon you should get tuning. tuning may not be require depending on specs but should be done to get the most out of the cam and get things like idle and afr set right. also are you m6 or a4

also, i'd consider some bolt ons before i went the cam route, you wont see nearly as much gains with a cam and just exhuast.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:19 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As JRP says, complete your list of bolt-ons (lid, headers, exhaust, etc) first. Once you have your engine breathing well, you must select a cam profile which meets your needs. Look at Thunder Racing, TSP, MTI---> and our sponsors and read the captions under each cam listed. You will notice intake/exhaust durations like 220/220 or 230/224, lifts like .553/.553 or .575/.563, lobe separation angles like 114 or 111 (I've used these numbers from Thunder's list).

Now, a smaller 220 cam is a great street cam which will provide a noticeable increase in HP and Torque, within the rev range mostly used while street driving. Its max numbers won't be as much as those of a larger cam, but the gains are very usable within the RPM range. It's 114 LSA will also deliver smoother idle characteristics. A cam like this may run fine without tuning, though tuning will milk its potential to the max.
A larger cam like the 230 will give you greater max HP gains, but at a range higher in the rev range. Cams like this are great drag strip cams, as one spends most of the time at extreme revs when running the 1/4 mile. Its 111 lsa will give a wicked lope to the idle. This kind of cam needs tuning for the engine to be able to run properly, plus max potential power gains.

Hope this isn't too simplistic, but I wish someone would have written something like this when I was getting into cams. Good luck on the search and PM me with any questions.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:27 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check this thread for some cam info

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/108367-basics-cam.html

and SouthFL.02.SS looks like you made a great choice on cams, have heard great things about the TSP 231.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:37 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JRP, I'm really happy with this cam. I also had the TR230 in mind. I upgraded from a C1 (great cam, but not enough lope for me, hehehe).
I need to get some Stage II heads to tap the 231's potential.

Search this Thread