Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you have too much oil pressure? Any long-term negatives?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you have too much oil pressure? Any long-term negatives?

This is on a C5 LS6 motor w/ the "batwing" pad holding 7 quarts of oil... not worried about it sucking the pan dry.

Is there any downside to too much oil pressure? I installed a LS4 high volume pump 2 years ago when I put my cam in because I was doing HPDEs and had an oil cooler in place. On track w/ oil at max temp (around 270) the pressure never dropped below 50 psi which was perfect. Hot idle was 49 psi and cruise was around 60.

Now that my car is a street car again and the oil cooler has been removed I'm seeing 53psi hot idle and cruising pressures in the mid 60s. When I floor it the needle pegs to 80ish.

I'm going to be swapping H/C again in the future and am considering a ported LS6 pump to get the pressure back in the "normal" range. But... if I can get a clear answer about the pressures I may keep the LS4 pump in.

So is there any dowside to having oil psi in the 70s/low 80s at WOT? I run Amsoil 5w40 and a K&N oil filter.

Oh... would there be any potential risks of reverting back to 5w30 after using 5w40 for years? I switched to the 5w40 back when my '01 was an oil burner and people were experimenting with all different ways to get the consumption to stop (I had the re-ring in '04 and it's been perfect ever since). I know the 5w30 would reduce my oil pressure somewhat, but would I be inviting any issues?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 06-03-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it aint broke, don't fix it. I'd stick with the oil you're using now. No comsumption + good oil pressure. Why would you switch?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
If it aint broke, don't fix it.
I'm going to be installing AFR 205s and a more moderate cam this year to replace my G5-X2 so I have to remove the oil pump again anyway.

Curious if I should just slap a ported LS6 unit back in vs. the LS4 pump.

Quick Reply: Can you have too much oil pressure? Any long-term negatives?