Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me out with the parts list fellas

Old 06-10-2009, 12:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me out with the parts list fellas

Hey guys, I need help choosing parts for H/C/I upgrade in about a month or two, trying to get it all before i got to the installer/tuner. Im pretty sure ill be going with the stage 1 LS6 heads, Gomer will design a cam, but im unsure about the little stuff, like which rockers, because i only want to do it once, what length pushrods (one of mine is bent), probably will go with the LS7 lifters. Tell me what im missing, what will be good to have etc. I want to tap your experience here, what would you do? I will appreciate all responses
PS i live on search lol

Also, would it help to have the heads hand massaged further? Is it worth it?
Old 06-10-2009, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

stage 1 heads, cam, ls7 lifters, springs(depends on cam), locks, retainers, push rods(should measure), ls2 timing chain, ls6 oil pump, heads/cam gasket kit all i can think of off the top of my head
Old 06-10-2009, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1-NAVY
stage 1 heads
cam
ls7 lifters
springs(depends on cam), locks, retainers
push rods(should measure)
ls2 timing chain
ls6 oil pump
heads/cam gasket kit
Exactly how i was guna suggest it lol As for the roller rockers i hear yella tella gold or whatever there called are really good.

IMO if your guna pay someone to port the heads more id just spend the money and buy stage 2 heads. But if your guna do it yourself then go for it as long as you know what your doin
Old 06-10-2009, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Like above. I picked up a set of Yella Terra Ultralites and they cleared my valve covers. Somehow not everyone is that lucky with that. I would also say lifter trays also, that is a must I think. But be sure to measure the pushrods for what you need. You say you only want to do it once, so do it right the first time And you may want to think about injectors possibly pending on the size cam you are going to put in it.

Also like said above I wouldn't mess with the heads unless you are going to port match them to the intake or something like that. Porting is all about precision, a little off on a chamber/runner/etc.. and that could hurt you in the long run if you know what I mean. There is a reason it cost some good money on a set of well ported heads.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:57 AM
11 Second Club

what was said above, injectors (I will bet $100 bucks you will need to upgrade if you have stock ones), timing chain, oil pump
Old 06-10-2009, 03:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PIZDETS
Hey guys, I need help choosing parts for H/C/I upgrade in about a month or two, trying to get it all before i got to the installer/tuner. Im pretty sure ill be going with the stage 1 LS6 heads, Gomer will design a cam, but im unsure about the little stuff, like which rockers, because i only want to do it once, what length pushrods (one of mine is bent), probably will go with the LS7 lifters. Tell me what im missing, what will be good to have etc. I want to tap your experience here, what would you do? I will appreciate all responses
PS i live on search lol

Also, would it help to have the heads hand massaged further? Is it worth it?
if gomer is working on your car, why are you asking people on here for advice?

im going to assume this is the same gomer that works on everyons car is AL... if it is.. LISTEN TO WHATEVER HE TELLS YOU... he is the one and only person i will not question when it comes to ls1s.. he is a freaking genius.. period.

just call him up tomorrow (that is if you can get him on his phone) and ask him what else you should do and stuff.. he will point you in the direction you need..

btw, tell him jasons from TN crew is getting lonely not hearing from him in so long..
Old 06-10-2009, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
if gomer is working on your car, why are you asking people on here for advice?

im going to assume this is the same gomer that works on everyons car is AL... if it is.. LISTEN TO WHATEVER HE TELLS YOU... he is the one and only person i will not question when it comes to ls1s.. he is a freaking genius.. period.

just call him up tomorrow (that is if you can get him on his phone) and ask him what else you should do and stuff.. he will point you in the direction you need..

btw, tell him jasons from TN crew is getting lonely not hearing from him in so long..

Thats why, he's a busy ****, im tryin to bother him as little as possible on the stuff i should be able to take care of myself Its nice enough that he'll do his part when the time comes, and i sure as hell will not let anyone ever touch my car besides him and Wes.

I also thought about the injectors and maybe a fuel pump upgrade, what size and who makes the quietest pump? Iam seriously considering a 90/90 setup as well.

See i need you guys to keep me on track
Old 06-10-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

well if you are doing heads, cam, and 90/90 i say 42# injectors and since u are trying to do this once get a new pump to.
NEW LIST:
stage 1 heads
custom cam
90/90
ls7 lifters
ls2 lifter trays
pushrods(need to measure)
ls2 timing chain
ls6 oil pump
42# injectors
fuel pump
heads/cam gasket kit

a pretty pricey list but she should be a beast on the street
Old 06-10-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have the 28lb. injectors so you will more than likely be fine in the fueling area since this sounds like a mild build. Just check the duty cycle when it is being tuned and go from there since they are an easy swap if you need them.

I would keep the stock rockers too but consider sending them to Harland Sharpe for the upgrade($260). Definetly do the LS2 lifter trays also($35). You will need a gasket set, fluids, and head bolts. As stated do the oil pump and chain and I like to add knock sensors and harnesses to the list while you are in there. Also while you are there consider an UD pulley and you need a new pulley bolt anyway. I like redoing the PCV and lines at this time also (great time to upgrade to the LS6 system).

The heads I am assuming will come assembled so they will aready have springs, retainers, etc....installed. I would have the installed height checked though as I have seen them shipped out wrong.......

Gomer will prolly measure the PR's so let him get those for you.

**** gets expnsive quick huh All i can think of for now....
Old 06-10-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think 42#ers is a bit excessive unless you plan on spraying a dry shot. I am running 36#ers in my 408 and they are doing fine on the stock fuel pump. If it is going to be a big cam you may want to think about a set of 36#ers to be on the safe side. FIC(new sponsor) has them cheaper than hell for like $250.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PIZDETS
Thats why, he's a busy ****, im tryin to bother him as little as possible on the stuff i should be able to take care of myself Its nice enough that he'll do his part when the time comes, and i sure as hell will not let anyone ever touch my car besides him and Wes.

I also thought about the injectors and maybe a fuel pump upgrade, what size and who makes the quietest pump? Iam seriously considering a 90/90 setup as well.

See i need you guys to keep me on track
yes that is true.. he has tried to cut back on the cars lately though..

you should be fine on injectors as long as you arent spraying, once you start spraying you will probably need some..
same goes with the fuel pump... (PS i have a brand new whalbro 255 still in the packaging if you want it)

i just sold my ported FAST 9090... woulda been nice for you..

double timing chain is a waste IMO, go with an ls2... and get an ls6 oil pump..
Old 06-10-2009, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1-NAVY
well if you are doing heads, cam, and 90/90 i say 42# injectors and since u are trying to do this once get a new pump to.
NEW LIST:
stage 1 heads
custom cam
90/90
ls7 lifters
ls2 lifter trays
pushrods(need to measure)
ls2 timing chain
ls6 oil pump
42# injectors
fuel pump
heads/cam gasket kit

a pretty pricey list but she should be a beast on the street
Aha now thats what im talking about, thank you

Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS
I think 42#ers is a bit excessive unless you plan on spraying a dry shot. I am running 36#ers in my 408 and they are doing fine on the stock fuel pump. If it is going to be a big cam you may want to think about a set of 36#ers to be on the safe side. FIC(new sponsor) has them cheaper than hell for like $250.
I think we've been out voted

Originally Posted by lemons12
yes that is true.. he has tried to cut back on the cars lately though..

you should be fine on injectors as long as you arent spraying, once you start spraying you will probably need some..
same goes with the fuel pump... (PS i have a brand new whalbro 255 still in the packaging if you want it)

i just sold my ported FAST 9090... woulda been nice for you..

double timing chain is a waste IMO, go with an ls2... and get an ls6 oil pump..

Yeah, no plans for spray at all. So ill get to save some money, you guys are better than calling Geico LOL

Search this Thread