Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cranakcase Smoke

Old 06-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cranakcase Smoke

I just put a new heads/cam on my 418 LS1. The motor was down about a month during the swap and I started it up today. It runs pretty good with a few exception that I'm working on but the main concern is the amount of crankcase smoke I'm getting. My breather is pouring out white maybe even vapor hard to tell very little smell to it. Is this typical with new heads and cam. I'm doing the break in oil change now the oil was pretty dirty.

I was concerned about the head gaskets but I don't have any noticable water in the oil no bubbles, no sweet smell in the exhaust and no oil in the coolant just crankcase smoke and it's not blue like oil.

I'm doing new oil hoping for better results. Also hoping my rings aren't f-ed it would have had to happened during the swap if so and I wasn't messing with the pistons.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Does this happen the entire time the motor is running? I'm asking cause it could just be condensation boiling off in the crankcase.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Launching!

Yes it did happen the entire time once the motor had generated any heat.

The good news is I did the oil and filter change and little to no smoke now. I let it reach closed loop and ran it for at least 10 minutes at different RPM's and it no longer concerns me. Hopefully it doesn't happen again :bang

I can't really drive it around right now I have the bumper off for the intercooler install and the tune is **** right now which I'm working on.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was having this same issue with mine, come to find out that this is just going to be normal if it keeps occurring.

Search this Thread