Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car wont start ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car wont start ?

ok i swopped to a 402ci and when i finally got it all done. she fired right up, the tune was way off but it would run if you help slight pressure on the gas pedal. i took it for a spin around the block and started it about a handfull of times and know all of a sudden she wont start. i checked for spark and it is there, i have the diod lights to see it the injectors are getting power and they are.. i cracked a b-nut loose on my fuel rail to see if there was fuel and there was. so it seems im getting spark,fuel and air and it wont start. i can hear my fuel pump kick on, put when i pulled #1 plug after trying to start it for about 10 minutes it smelled like fuel but was sort of dry. maybe im not getting enought fuel pressure..the grounds on the back of the head is connected. the only ground wire i found not connected today was the ground strap going from under the fuse/ relay panel to the motor mount. i havent connected it as its sort of hard to reach and i was pressed for time, but do you think that might do it...

please if you have no clue at all , dont post negitive or smart *** comments in here..
Old 06-10-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, it sounds like the plugs are fouled to me man. But it would be good to check fuel pressure too.

You make sure all the fuses are good first?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
Honestly, it sounds like the plugs are fouled to me man. But it would be good to check fuel pressure too.

You make sure all the fuses are good first?
Yes, check your spark plugs. They may be fouled.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i pulled #1 and it looked fine but i will get it running tomorrow.one way or another..
Old 06-10-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by scites
well i pulled #1 and it looked fine but i will get it running tomorrow.one way or another..
Check 3, 4, 5, and 6.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check 3, 4, 5, and 6.? what do those plugs foul out for some reason? maybe im a dumn ***
Old 06-12-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by scites
Check 3, 4, 5, and 6.? what do those plugs foul out for some reason? maybe im a dumn ***
It's a good idea to check all of them because sometimes just checking 1 plug will not tell the whole story. I say this because I had a similar issue with my 1981 Eldorado with the 6.0L about a year ago. I arrived at my buddies house and parked the car. About 1 hour later I came out and attempted to start it but it would just crank over and sputter a bit. I pulled the #1 plug and it looked ok, but when I had pulled 3 and 4, they were fouled out beyond recognition. I replaced all 8 plugs right there on the spot after a trip to the local autoparts store and it fired right up on the first crank. This may or may not be your problem, but check to eliminate it as a variable.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

the plugs were a little dirty , but it cam down to the tune..i had a buddy come over and play with the tune and now she will crank right up and drive..
Old 06-15-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good deal man.