Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coating Engine Internals...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 04:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coating Engine Internals...

Does anybody have any dyno sheets comparing coated pistons/valves/cc's to non-coated pieces? I'm just wondering if there's any tangible horsepower gains to be made through thermal barrier or anti-friction coatings. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Go to bed...

I'm curious as well, but I think gains would more be along the lines of being able to push a given setup harder before "trouble" shows up. A coated piston/chamber should theoretically have better heat control, fewer hotspots, and thus more octane tolerance.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the pistons that are coated on their skirts for oil-shedding abilities, any advantages, real world, of those?
Old 11-10-2003, 12:45 PM
TECH Veteran

...a bunch has been written about coatings...specifically, the magazine featuring the Engine Masters Challenge (Hot Rod??) makes reference to coatings alot.

Many engine builders interviewed for the mag claim that coatings give at least 10HP to their motors....

...not sure about the application of coatings for street use, however.... in racing applications they are widely used...
Old 11-10-2003, 12:54 PM
STF Veteran

I like your sig cheesefrog! You're right! I do see alot of headlightsin my rearview! Was that a typo???
What about the dimpled piston heads? I read about those in a mag, too. Can't remember which one, but they also claimed HP gains due to a more efficient combustion.