Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR's and Big Cubes

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AFR's and Big Cubes

Will the new AFR heads produce substantial gains on a big cube motor (422/427) over a well ported LS6? All I have seen is talk about stock displacement, heads and cam motors.

Also, Can the higher flowing of the two heads offered be ported as well? I know the AFR's for the LT1 can be ported further for more performance but I wondered if this was not relevant to the LS1 heads.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6
Will the new AFR heads produce substantial gains on a big cube motor (422/427), all I have seen is talk about stock displacement heads n cam motors.

Also, Can the higher flowing of the two heads offered be ported as well? I know the AFR's for the LT1 can be ported further for more performance but I wondered if this was not relevant to the LS1 heads.

Hi Mike,

I'm sure a few "tweaks" can be done to the LS 205 cc heads to get them to perform well on larger than stock engines. Give it some time for us to play with these pieces before any good or bad press is written on them.

For a bolt-on application, the larger LS 225 heads should have plenty of port volume to work (and matching cfm) to feed the bigger engines. A good camshaft design coupled with the new Comp intake should net some big HP and torque.

When my shipment of LS heads comes in, I'll do some testing and see what happens to them when a different valve is used as well as results when changing the valve job. Tony M at AFR will be the first to know but after some arm twisting, I'll get him to release any of my findings.

Like any new cylinder head design, it will take some time and a few heads will be sacrificed during the research phase!

Ed
Old 11-10-2003, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EDC

Hi Mike,

I'm sure a few "tweaks" can be done to the LS 205 cc heads to get them to perform well on larger than stock engines. Give it some time for us to play with these pieces before any good or bad press is written on them.

For a bolt-on application, the larger LS 225 heads should have plenty of port volume to work (and matching cfm) to feed the bigger engines. A good camshaft design coupled with the new Comp intake should net some big HP and torque.

When my shipment of LS heads comes in, I'll do some testing and see what happens to them when a different valve is used as well as results when changing the valve job. Tony M at AFR will be the first to know but after some arm twisting, I'll get him to release any of my findings.

Like any new cylinder head design, it will take some time and a few heads will be sacrificed during the research phase!

Ed

Good lord, Ed... I didnt know you worked with LS1s... I am planning on giving you a call about building a 5-liter for my little notch, and then I see you here talking about LSx heads...

You have good taste in engines

chris
Old 11-10-2003, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good...I'll just sit back, relax, and let you do your work then.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Visceral
Good lord, Ed... I didnt know you worked with LS1s... I am planning on giving you a call about building a 5-liter for my little notch, and then I see you here talking about LSx heads...

You have good taste in engines

chris

Hey Chris,

I'm still with the FoMoCo guys so don't fret if you need thing for the "other" toy.

It's no surprise you've not heard from me directly on these LSx combinations. I pretty much kept it that way to quietly keep my "paying customers" ahead of their competition. I've been selling a ton of custom designed roller camshafts and "race only" parts to a few shops and select customers, that specialize in the LT1 and LSx market. With the success that we've seen over the last few years, I decided to get out of their shadow and move into the front row with both race and street combinations that just flat out work! It's just like we have done for the 5.0 market.

By sometime next month, we will be evaluating and testing the new AFR 205 heads as well as the Comp LSX composite intake. These manufacturers are looking for honest and accurate data on their new pieces and they do know where to come for that!

Stay tuned because I'll also be sharing some comparision data on all the AFR LSx heads vs some ported OE ones. All testing will be done with both the 4.125 and 3.910 bore fixtures and done "at the same time" with the "industry standard" SuperFlow 600 flow bench. This way no data can be skewed or exagerrated.

I'll get the data to the boards as soon as all tests are completed...

Ed
Old 11-15-2003, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Stay tuned because I'll also be sharing some comparision data on all the AFR LSx heads vs some ported OE ones. All testing will be done with both the 4.125 and 3.910 bore fixtures and done "at the same time" with the "industry standard" SuperFlow 600 flow bench. This way no data can be skewed or exagerrated.
I'll get the data to the boards as soon as all tests are completed...
Ed[/color][/QUOTE]

Sounds Good !
Old 11-15-2003, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by EDC

Hi Mike,

Ed
Ed,

Pardon the question but I see FlowTech in your sig. Vince a board member had a set of FlowTech heads that were truely horrible. The flow numbers were impressive and the power gain was not. In fact when the FlowTechs were pulled Vince got excellent gains after TEA reworked the FlowTechs to an actual Stage I status. Would this be the same FlowTech by chance?
Hey, Vince if you see this - no offense intended mentioning your old set up.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like this mayhave been more appropriate for email until more researched facts can be inserted.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Ed,

Pardon the question but I see FlowTech in your sig. Vince a board member had a set of FlowTech heads that were truely horrible. The flow numbers were impressive and the power gain was not. In fact when the FlowTechs were pulled Vince got excellent gains after TEA reworked the FlowTechs to an actual Stage I status. Would this be the same FlowTech by chance?
Flow tech Induction, not to be confused with Flow Technics. 2 diffrent places, and one seems to do alot better. I'll let you make the decision. Glad to see you on the board Ed. Looking foward to seeing your test results.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Ed,

Blackbird,

I don't know of any LS heads for a customer named "Vince" but I'm sure he can tell you exactly who he received his heads from... Damned sure I didn't do them...

FWIW... you don't want to get me and Brian into a pissing match... Then the forum may end up like some "stang site"....

Hey Beast96Z... ready to step up to another grind? I've got the data so when ever you're ready!

Ed
Old 11-16-2003, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

I think the larger ports should do great on larger engines when you might overhead a smaller cubic inch engine unless you are going to use a power adder.

Josh S.