Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 Head (Mr.) Gasket Bore Question 4.0" vs 3.910"

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ls1 Head (Mr.) Gasket Bore Question 4.0" vs 3.910"

What experiences has anyone had with MR. Gasket .041 head gaskets and how did it go?

I've been chasing a head gasket leak on my 3.910 bore .040 Cometic since day one.

After Re-torquing them several times, pulling them back apart with less than 200 miles on them and copper spraying them, meticulously cleaning the head and block surface, they still appear to be leaking.

Now I haven’t gone through the exercise of re-torquing them since the second install and start up, but I ran the ARP bolts through 4-5 rounds at the 89 ft lbs. before reinstalling to negate any bolt stretch, to the point where when I marked the head bolts, the marks ended up in the same place after breaking them loose and retightening.

Now a couple of hundred miles later, it looks like both sides are leaking, again.

Being that it is just a little more work to completely remove the head, and start over again with a new gasket, I was looking to just start over with a new platform. The Mr. Gaskets 4.0" .042 thick are ~$30 ea at AutoZone. Trick flow 3.910" .045 are ~$75 ea. from Summit.

Last edited by dmiz0420; 06-15-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dmiz0420
What experiences has anyone had with MR. Gasket .041 head gaskets and how did it go?

I've been chasing a head gasket leak on my 3.910 bore .040 Cometic since day one.

After Re-torquing them several times, pulling them back apart with less than 200 miles on them and copper spraying them, meticulously cleaning the head and block surface, they still appear to be leaking.

Now I haven’t gone through the exercise of re-torquing them since the second install and start up, but I ran the ARP bolts through 4-5 rounds at the 89 ft lbs. before reinstalling to negate any bolt stretch, to the point where when I marked the head bolts, the marks ended up in the same place after breaking them loose and retightening.

Now a couple of hundred miles later, it looks like both sides are leaking, again.

Being that it is just a little more work to completely remove the head, and start over again with a new gasket, I was looking to just start over with a new platform. The Mr. Gaskets 4.0" .042 thick are ~$30 ea at AutoZone. Trick flow 3.910" .045 are ~$75 ea. from Summit.
Just put on GM MLS and put your mind at ease.

Quick Reply: ls1 Head (Mr.) Gasket Bore Question 4.0" vs 3.910"