Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Oil Leak.??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Oil Leak.??

A friend of mine has had some major oil leak problem for the last few days. He asked me to come over and I was shocked to see so much oil coming out of a car.

He has a stock 99' Z (90K mi) and it appears to be leaking from the driver side rear of the engine. When the car is off it drips oil a little here and there but once it's running, it starts streaming oil almost immediately.

The only thing I can think of is a rear main seal but I can't imagine so much oil coming out. We checked plugs, valve covers, oil sending unit and a few other misc. things and still have no idea what or where it is coming from. This is his DD so we are trying to get him back on the road.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.!

Cheers.
J.R.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would check the oil pressure sending unit. It's located on the top rear of the engine just behind the intake manifold on the driver's side.

Here's a picture of it. It's the black round post thing sticking up in the back - has a white elec connector:

Last edited by massls1guy; 06-19-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Regular

We did check the sending unit since he recently changed his but it was bone dry.

Thanks for the suggestion.

J.R.

TTT
Old 06-20-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

You said driver's side so unlikely it is the oil dipstick tube that has worked it way out of the block because the bolt fell out or the clamp is broken.

But without the dispstick tube inserted completely into the block it will make a mess of your engine bay in a hurry and also give you false oil readings on the dispstick.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
You said driver's side so unlikely it is the oil dipstick tube that has worked it way out of the block because the bolt fell out or the clamp is broken.

But without the dispstick tube inserted completely into the block it will make a mess of your engine bay in a hurry and also give you false oil readings on the dispstick.
Ohh yeah, we checked his dipstick tube since his was loose but.....it wasn't the issue.

Oil is coming down from the mid to upper rear of the engine and coming down the bell housing. I have a hard time believing it is the rear main.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Torque the oil pressure sending unit!!! Get the right adapter and get that sucker on tight! I had that EXACT same problem. A TON of oil was coming out, so much that it was ejecting from the sender, leaving it bone dry. Like it baffled me until I went out bought the socket adapter and torqued it down. No more oil
Old 06-20-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kdick91
Torque the oil pressure sending unit!!! Get the right adapter and get that sucker on tight! I had that EXACT same problem. A TON of oil was coming out, so much that it was ejecting from the sender, leaving it bone dry. Like it baffled me until I went out bought the socket adapter and torqued it down. No more oil
Well put brother.! I am going to give it a try. You stated with with enough conviction I would be foolish to pass on your advise.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kdick91
I had him go back and torque the sending unti down and VOILA.!!

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.!
J.R.