Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polluter cam for me???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Polluter cam for me???

Hi all, i am inquiring about the polluter cam i have read all the threads about it and have been on there website i am wanting to know if it is a good add-on for my car. My car would be a daily driver, I go maybe 200 miles a week sometimes not even that mostly highway. I alreadyhave the following mods on my 00 camaro

373 gers
long tube headers,ypipe
magnaflow catback
lid, smooth bellow
all free mods
6spd
suspension work
dyno tune,150 wet shot

I plan on getting an ls6 intake the polluter cam kit and a good tune. I personally think my my car would be a great candidate for it from what i have read about it and its reviews. still has low-end power very very noticable idle, and most of all Loves nitrous. I am wanting peoples opinion being that i am a ls1 newb pretty much been a mustang guy for years Would any of you suggest another cam kit, is it too much cam for a daily?
Old 06-21-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard a lot of good things about the polluter cam as well. I have hesitated purchasing one because Tick doesn't publish the specs on it. I don't know about everyone else here, but I think it's pretty stupid to not publish the specs on an engine part that you really want to sell. You only have 360 degrees to work with (can't be anything supergroundbreaking), a plethora of other really good and proven cams to choose from, and lots of published specs and information on those. If I were THAT interested in stealing a cam profile, I would just buy the cam and reverse engineer it. And the only people who would be interested in stealing the cam profile would have the equipment to do just that.
That said, I'd go with the MS3, or MS4 if your tuner is really good. Lots of information and specs on these cams right here. And lots of current users with first hand info and install suggestions.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Launching!

I have read tons on the ms3, ms4 and even trex cams, the polluter is one of the best by the threads i have read , im not saying that those other cams arent good but from what i have read it is doing pretty good. the deluxe package from tick is 880 which doesnt seem like a bad deal at all, I plan on using a local tuner here in killeen being that i dont know of any other ones, i have never used sunshine performance but again i have never heard anything negative about that shop and there prices are descent as well. The polluter has great driveability and low end torgue which drives me to it. It sounds like a great addition being that i can use my stock heads and be making 400 plus cam only with a 150 shot should be in the 5x0
Old 06-22-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I say pick something a little smaller for a daily. It sucks to think you went too small but it is even worse to have something that ended up being too much and dealing with all the negatives to a large cam setup. I say custom grind around the low 230 or high 220 duration. Just my .02
Old 06-22-2009, 12:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too large for your driving... IMHO.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a custom ground cam froma guy that knows what he is doing. That way you get what you really want without having a donkey dick cam that makes power but sucks for everything else you do with the car, like driving it for example.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:28 AM
11 Second Club

With a bigger cam comes Piston To Valve clearance problems, Steeper gear (with the overlap of the polluter you will need atleast 4.10s) a better tune for good driviability, and the need for better of bigger supporting mods. My cam is on the larger end of the spectrum and with a 11-1 static compression and my 4.10s isn't bad at all to drive around town in stop and go traffic and constant red light.... even untuned. The choice is yours but.... with bigger cams comes the added headache of extra hidden cost and drivability issues. Would you really like to change your rear gear and virtually lose all driviability below 2,000 rpms?
Old 06-22-2009, 01:22 AM
Launching!

Thanks for everyones views, I am wanting to loose the minimum low end power with a cam. Wouldnt the nitrous make up for the low end power loss i would be loosing with the polluter? i know im not going to spray everytime i race. I intend for my car to be a good daily driver full weight street car with ac/heat. Cam and intake are the last two perfomance modifications i plan on doing to the car so no headwork whatsoever. Ticks websight claims no flycutting on stock heads with the 112lsa cam, What about stepping down to the ms3 cam ive read good reviews on it as well. Is it possible to see 400rwhp cam only with the ms3? as far as getting a custom cam made would it be best to contact patg if i decide to go that route idk of anyone local that does that
Old 06-22-2009, 01:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There are a lot of guys that do custom cams. Do some research. A lot of it.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:31 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The guys are talking about losing low end power where you daily drive (1200-1800 rpm). You are not going to be spraying nitrous to make it driveable down low. Its more a all out stock head cam, far from being a good DD cam. I say go with a good custom grind or a 224 to 230ish size cam on a 110 or 111 to get the overlap up and keep driveability.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:59 AM
Banned

233/239 from tsp here on a 112, I DD it, I wouldn't get anything smaller... 3.42's btw!
Old 06-22-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Its too big for a DD, I was looking it at too, PM Predator Z for a custom spec'd cam, see what he recommends, Polluter is good for the strip alot, but not for DD all around town. But if you like it that much, go for it and tell us how it is! It does put out some nice numbers
Old 06-23-2009, 12:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Titanws6
Its too big for a DD, I was looking it at too, PM Predator Z for a custom spec'd cam, see what he recommends, Polluter is good for the strip alot, but not for DD all around town. But if you like it that much, go for it and tell us how it is! It does put out some nice numbers
Yeah! Thats a great idea, blubyu02! Buy a Polluter cam and let us know what the specs are on it so the rest of us can make educated decisions concerning its purchase. lol
..just kidding...
Old 06-23-2009, 10:06 AM
Launching!

lol 108dragon maybe i should huh? lol j/k i am leaning towards getting a custom grind cam i want a package deal kinda like the deluxe package offers. the polluter cam seems more like a weekend only cam/racecar cam. I still want to maintain great driveability low end and around town. I was leaning towards it because the number it makes cam only plus the amazing sound. wasnt really thinking bout driveability. Would kind of be nice if someone who DD the polluter could tell me their opinion on it thanks for the info on it all from everyone
Old 06-23-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Seriously though, I really need a hot cam that I can use with a centrifugal blower. The Stage3 cam I have will straight rock with the LS3 heads I have, but the overlap and 107centerline ain't gonna jel with the blower. Knowing the cam's specs would tell me whether it would work with this application and a general idea of how well. No advertised specs is the only thing preventing me from buying a Polluter cam. Anyone actually have the specs ...or at least a general ballpark on them?
Old 06-23-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You want a good cam for your setup, please at least call a professional for some down to earth opinion.
Poluter with boost? you must be kidding right
and that cam is definitely not a DD, I do not care what anyone is BS around here.

You want good performance, nice lope sound and great DD, stick with a tight LSA cam in the high 22x> low 230x range. something with around 8 to 10* overlap max.

Caming is not about who is the biggest and baddest, it is about COMBINATION with the mods you have.

And if you want proof, well here it is: TFS, poluter + bolt ons

Where is the torque??? didn't brake 400 till 4700/4800 ??
That is not DD

To show you a smaller cam with stock valved 243s + bolt ons: (see attachement)
Look at the trq from 3500 onwards and compare.
Hint it is a 230 cam 110 LSA
Attached Thumbnails Polluter cam for me???-rmtt-hc-90.jpg  

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 06-23-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to immediately jump to a huge cam like that, you should first go for a ride in a car WITH a big cam like that. You mind will come back to reality for daily driving and realize WHY you don't want a came that big. I have a 228r and it hauls like a ****, im dieing to test it out against some cars yet.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Predator-z those dyno graphs showed me all i needed to see, and the polluter is not for me i see, Im getting one custom made, boy am i glad i didnt order the polluter kit and just throw it in like i planned on without doing my research i was letting my eyes and ears think for me instead of my brain. I have to keep driveability in my car its not an option.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm sure if you contact Tick and explain what you have in mind they would have other grinds or can spec something in the range I suggested.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sure there are other options besides the guys that made the polluter. Maybe real cam guys that know what they are doing. Anyone that would say th polluter is a good DD cam and can be used with stock heads with no fly cutting should be taken out back and beaten.

Quick Reply: Polluter cam for me???