Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes this cam?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow Who makes this cam?

Who makes the G5X3 cam? I see it in search results alot but can't find who makes it? Anyone know the specs so I can degree her in?
thanks
Old 06-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Banned

LG Motorsports makes it. 234/238 114LSA
Old 06-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Launching!

Awesome thanks, happen to know the lift at .050 too?
Old 06-25-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLOC5LS6
LG Motorsports makes it. 234/238 114LSA
Wrong...its a 234/242 .600/.610 Comp XER lobes on either a 114+4 or 112+4 LSA. It is made by LG Motorsports though.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

^^ what they said. LG Motorsports
Old 06-25-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm pretty sure that Comp actually produces the camshaft if it has Comp lobes. The specific grind (lobe numbers, lobe separation and any advance ground in) could be exclusive to LG and would be specified by them to Comp (or to another cam company if they are not using Comp lobes.)

Lots of cam folks have Comp produce cams to their specs, because Comp has a huge selection of extremely well-designed and tested lobes, as well as the equipment to grind the lobes accurately. Deciding which lobes to put where on the camshaft is the tricky part. Some folks do that better than others.

Sometimes small changes make a difference, sometimes they don't make much. This was a recent cam change back-to-back test from another thread. The red lines reportedly had a G6X3 in this 402 engine. My butt wouldn't feel the differences shown in the graph. Probably the car wouldn't at the strip either.

Generally if a cam is matched well to a combination, small changes don't help nor hurt much. IMO, either of these cams is pretty well matched to the engine.

My $.02

Jon

Old 06-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Well damn, all I've gotten is mixed results...I called a place that the cam came from but they outsource to comp or another company to make it for them. He said it was like 224/228 with like a 112 LSA.....Who can I call to find out the REAL numbers? cuz I'm about to put this **** in dot to dot and call it a day
Old 06-25-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol you guys crack me up

Originally Posted by Notmyvette
Who makes the G5X3 cam? I see it in search results alot but can't find who makes it? Anyone know the specs so I can degree her in?
thanks
Call LG Motorsports. They sell the cam and can answer any questions about lining it up dot to dot, specs, etc

EDIT: If they tell you they dont know the specs ask to talk to someone else lol
Old 06-25-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Of course they know the specs, they just don't want EVERYONE to know since they spent time and money developing it, which is why they charge more for it than you would pay to have the same cam ground by comp and supplied to you by another vendor for the custom grind price.

Comp makes the vast majority of cams out there today. Cam motion makes a few by comparison. Is there anyone else actually manufacturing them now? Crane is no longer around.

All of the cams you see advertised by vendors are not actually manufactured by them. They have them custom ground to their specs by Comp or Cam motion and sell them to you. Many of them then attach catchy names to them (such as the "polluter") for marketing purposes. You can download specs from Comp's website, pick your lobes, ICL, and advance and have it ground to your specs if you prefer, or have someone like PatrickG or PredatorZ spec it for you then have it custom ground from the vendor of your choice. It's all about coming up with the right combination, which is apparently what LG has done here and why they don't want everyone to know the exact specs.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DaveX
Of course they know the specs, they just don't want EVERYONE to know since they spent time and money developing it, which is why they charge more for it than you would pay to have the same cam ground by comp and supplied to you by another vendor for the custom grind price.

Comp makes the vast majority of cams out there today. Cam motion makes a few by comparison. Is there anyone else actually manufacturing them now? Crane is no longer around.

All of the cams you see advertised by vendors are not actually manufactured by them. They have them custom ground to their specs by Comp or Cam motion and sell them to you. Many of them then attach catchy names to them (such as the "polluter") for marketing purposes. You can download specs from Comp's website, pick your lobes, ICL, and advance and have it ground to your specs if you prefer, or have someone like PatrickG or PredatorZ spec it for you then have it custom ground from the vendor of your choice. It's all about coming up with the right combination, which is apparently what LG has done here and why they don't want everyone to know the exact specs.

k so, I'll find out the Correct specs...and then sell the specs for $5 a head! who's interested??

jkk
Old 06-26-2009, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

Whoever said the g5x3 is like a 224/228 don't know what the hell they are talking about! I don't know the specs personally but I do know that it kicks ***.. I called lg when I got mine and they wouldn't tell me specs to degree by but they did tell me that all of their cams were checked and to install dot to dot. They also said that there is 4 deg of advance ground into the cam.. If you can find a 224/228 that sounds anything like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6wYI8FMpUE let me know.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:13 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by moeZ28
Wrong...its a 234/242 .600/.610 Comp XER lobes on either a 114+4 or 112+4 LSA. It is made by LG Motorsports though.
add 2* on the intake and 1* on the exhaust and your right.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Regular

I m pretty sure LG makes it but if you have the specs then you can get it made from comp cams.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bonestock99
Whoever said the g5x3 is like a 224/228 don't know what the hell they are talking about! I don't know the specs personally but I do know that it kicks ***.. I called lg when I got mine and they wouldn't tell me specs to degree by but they did tell me that all of their cams were checked and to install dot to dot. They also said that there is 4 deg of advance ground into the cam.. If you can find a 224/228 that sounds anything like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6wYI8FMpUE let me know.
See that wouldn't sit well enough with me to purchase a cam from them. I install cams degreed, dot to dot is just a rough estimate and isn't always accurate.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine was installed dot to dot and all is well. Excellent choice BTW.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cpd004
Mine was installed dot to dot and all is well. Excellent choice BTW.
that's all well and good, but dot-to-dot is by no means exact. It might be "good enough" but not exact.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
that's all well and good, but dot-to-dot is by no means exact. It might be "good enough" but not exact.
I agree...It is always better to degree. That is the correct way to do the cam. At the time I didn't do that and I'm on par with others with the same cam power wise.