Sponsored by:

metal shavings in oil.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default metal shavings in oil.

did a change today and found some small shavings on the plug

so i wonder how serious it could be, car seems to be running fine, has about 35k on the engine.

how much do most ppl charge for a shortblock? how about an ls2 shortblock? would it be a good idea to swap my 241 heads and everything over to the ls2 shortblock?
Old 06-25-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

post pics of the shavings - sounds like you're worrying too much.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DaddySS
post pics of the shavings - sounds like you're worrying too much.
i didnt take a pic, they were a very small amout, like a quarter the size of a dime. maybe i am....I hope
Old 06-26-2009, 03:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

any metal that you can grab in your oil pan is reason for concern. always remember no one here drives, owns, or is going to have to repair your car when it breaks down, but you'll do what u want and you'll listen who u want to.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always have a small amount of metal myself. If its chunks you have issues. Mine is usally a super fine graphite lubricant like substance.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
Always have a small amount of metal myself. If its chunks you have issues. Mine is usally a super fine graphite lubricant like substance.
thats what it was, the pieces themselves were very small and not chunks.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by firechicken76
thats what it was, the pieces themselves were very small and not chunks.
I wouldnt be really worried. I would get an oil test done by blackstone labs to see what is wearing. They are like 22 bucks. If its bad the oil test will show excess wear metals/chemicals etc
Old 06-26-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
I wouldnt be really worried. I would get an oil test done by blackstone labs to see what is wearing. They are like 22 bucks. If its bad the oil test will show excess wear metals/chemicals etc
wow, thats a great idea! ill wait a week or so, i just changed oil.

I was under my car and found a crack in my oil pan too....i think i bottomed out and hit the pan and thats how it cracked, it wasnt bad....i could get it welded, what material is the oil pan?
Old 06-26-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

The oil pan is aluminum, you would have to remove it to have it repaired, may be easier and cheaper to find a used one.

Fine metal is normal, its chunks you need to worry about. Another good (and cheap) thing to do is to buy a filter cutter(Jegs and CAT sell good ones) and cut your filter open after it dries out the cut out a section and spread it out like an acordian and look for shavings in the element. I work on Heavy Equipment and thats how we check for obvious failures, as well as oil samples.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
The oil pan is aluminum, you would have to remove it to have it repaired, may be easier and cheaper to find a used one.

Fine metal is normal, its chunks you need to worry about. Another good (and cheap) thing to do is to buy a filter cutter(Jegs and CAT sell good ones) and cut your filter open after it dries out the cut out a section and spread it out like an acordian and look for shavings in the element. I work on Heavy Equipment and thats how we check for obvious failures, as well as oil samples.
why cant it just be cleaned and mig welded from the outside? I used JB weld on it for now and it seems to be working good (no drips).
Old 06-27-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im hearing a bit of a thud when i rev it and let it go back down to an idle, it just goes thud, thud.....doesnt always do it. if it matters, when i changed oil i went to 5w-30 instead of 10w-30 i usually run, i run LUCUS full synthetic, they were out of the 10w.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

The reason that the manufactures put an oil weight is because of how soon and how easy they want the oil to rung through an orifice and coat a surface. The 2 weight oils are new made by adding polymers to the petroleum. The 10 is how the oil will run when its cold and 30 is the way it will run when its hot. Now in newer cars is not so bad unless its a hp engine ans specifically asks for a specific oil weight only. Also it has to do where u live in colder climates if its ok the 5 weight helps it flow faster when u first turn it on. If your talking about ur 88 then it is critical u use the 10 30 if specified because the older engines need a little more viscosity to keep that protective film between the cylinder wall and the piston rings. While rare the 5-30 viscosity modifiers can break down in these older engines and form a film of carbon on the cylinder walls.You can use it but at your own risk. The thud could be something complete different that has nothing to do with the oil.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02*C5
The reason that the manufactures put an oil weight is because of how soon and how easy they want the oil to rung through an orifice and coat a surface. The 2 weight oils are new made by adding polymers to the petroleum. The 10 is how the oil will run when its cold and 30 is the way it will run when its hot. Now in newer cars is not so bad unless its a hp engine ans specifically asks for a specific oil weight only. Also it has to do where u live in colder climates if its ok the 5 weight helps it flow faster when u first turn it on. If your talking about ur 88 then it is critical u use the 10 30 if specified because the older engines need a little more viscosity to keep that protective film between the cylinder wall and the piston rings. While rare the 5-30 viscosity modifiers can break down in these older engines and form a film of carbon on the cylinder walls.You can use it but at your own risk. The thud could be something complete different that has nothing to do with the oil.
Engine is an 02 ls1, its just in an 88.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Engine is an 02 ls1, its just in an 88.
Well I have the same engine and I have never experimented. I am pushing 440 rwhp and I have always used one of the two oils either the Valvoline 10W30 racing the high Zinc content because I don't have cats when I take her to the track, and the RP 10W30 for daily driving. People say not to but when I am not at the track I use the RP 10W30 5.5qt and 1 qt of the Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer. I have been doing that since my head/cam and my mech said it helps with cold engine starts and so on. The car works great and I don't see any shavings in my oil or my plug which is magnetic.

I have never had issues with the metal shavings but I am also running a deep pan with a Melling HO +18% oil pump to make sure there is always pressure and oil and every 6K miles I take the whole pan off and wipe it clean. 80K+ on the clock.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

why cant it just be cleaned and mig welded from the outside? I used JB weld on it for now and it seems to be working good (no drips).
I dont think you can mig aluminum, I think you have to tig it. It needs to be removed to be done correctly, should be welded in and out and if you just weld the outside in could leave small debris in the oil, like I said, its easier to pick up a used pan and swap it out.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you can mig aluminum, ive done it, im going to school for welding right now, im only one quarter in, ill ask my welding instrctor about welding it from the outside, maybe a little bit of preheat would make sure there is no oil trapped in during welding.

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
I dont think you can mig aluminum, I think you have to tig it. It needs to be removed to be done correctly, should be welded in and out and if you just weld the outside in could leave small debris in the oil, like I said, its easier to pick up a used pan and swap it out.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

you can mig aluminum, ive done it, im going to school for welding right now, im only one quarter in, ill ask my welding instrctor about welding it from the outside, maybe a little bit of preheat would make sure there is no oil trapped in during welding.
Yep. They do make wire feed welders for aluminum. Ive used them

I wouldnt risk welding it personally from the outside. If you had to I would do it with a tig and do it one puddle at a time, letting it cool down.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always have a tiny amount of the graphite looking stuff when I change my oil, has been the same through 3 different LS engines.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
I always have a tiny amount of the graphite looking stuff when I change my oil, has been the same through 3 different LS engines.
When welding with aluminum on mig you just need to change a few things on the mig machine, wire, rollers, etc. If you want to keep the heat down on mig you could use a pulse mode.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never seen it on my LT or LS motors...... But both times I saw it in my rearend I was fucked so.......if you keep seeing it start saving......

Quick Reply: metal shavings in oil.