Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining noise after H/C install

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whining noise after H/C install

I have had a whine noise since I install my heads, cam, YT rocker and pulley. It sounds like a very quiet geardrive, happens through out rpm range. It sound pretty cool realy. But it has me concerned.

Could it be normal, I have not heard any other LS1s with a cam or YT rockers?

These are my ideas, waterpump bearing, Alt. bearing, Idler pulley or maybe just normal noise for the yella terra rockers. any thoughts.

ENGINE: Absolute Speed Stage II, TR224/114, YT 1.7 Rockers, Katech oil pump & Jwiss chain, Shaner S2 TB, ASP pulley, Lid, FTRA, 160' Stat.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:44 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how long has it been since the install? you'll definately have more vavletrain noise with new springs, its normal. YT rockers usually run softer but there should still be a normal valvetrain noise that sounds kinda like a sewing machine.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

The install was a few weeks and around 100 miles ago, I don't drive the car much, I can not tell if it is coming from the front of the motor or under the valvecovers. it is hard to hear at idle I need to rev the motor a little to hear it above all the other noises(sewing machine, ticks, knocks ect.)

It is inbetween a whine and a whistle sound. Anyone else have any thoughts????

Also I was thinking of taking the drivebelt off and starting it to see if it is internal or a belt driven accesory such as the waterpump. Is there anyway I could hurt the motor running it with out the belt for 10-20 seconds??
Old 11-13-2003, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Is there anyway I could hurt the motor running it with out the belt for 10-20 seconds??
Make sure the engine temp is right around if not a little below 200 degrees, well just don't let it get to hot. Keep a battery charger handy and good luck
Old 12-12-2003, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Did you ever fiqure the noise out? I have a H& C with YT's and am having the same issues..
Old 12-13-2003, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bambamz
Did you ever fiqure the noise out? I have a H& C with YT's and am having the same issues..

No I hav'nt, I did pull the belt and the noise is still there so it is internal. Some day I will pull the YTs and put the stockers back in just to see if it goes away.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01TA
No I hav'nt, I did pull the belt and the noise is still there so it is internal. Some day I will pull the YTs and put the stockers back in just to see if it goes away.

Well so far here is what I have done:

Pulled the belts, and checked all pulleys and pumps....No Luck!

Pulled the intake (since I have the Holley) and regasketed, and re RTV'd...No Luck!

Pulley the valve covers and reshimmed all YT's...No Luck!

Funny thing is at cold start..I dont hear it for about 3 mins...Then it starts and goes with the RPM's????

I have no clue but its driving me nutz...

99Z A4 with PP Stg 2, Big Cam, YT's, Holley Intake, ASP UDP, 80mm TB, all suspension bolt ons. 3500 Yank, 3.73, And afew others....
Old 12-14-2003, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

My car did that too right after heads and cam were installed. However, when my wife got out of the car all the whinning stopped.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:45 AM
Teching In

Lol! Lol!
Old 12-15-2003, 06:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

By chance do you have a ported TB? I originally had the stock unit on when I did my installed my heads. To get a little more air into the engine to compliment the heads - I add a ported TB and right away noticed the whistle. It would eventually go away as the motor warmed up but it was very present at first.

Just an idea.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Actually I have the 80mm BBK...Mine doesnt whistle from a cold start but begins to once temp get to around 140ish. I think it might be my IAC. I have heard from a few sources that if they go bad they whistle
Old 12-30-2003, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bambamz
Well so far here is what I have done:

Pulled the belts, and checked all pulleys and pumps....No Luck!

Pulled the intake (since I have the Holley) and regasketed, and re RTV'd...No Luck!

Pulley the valve covers and reshimmed all YT's...No Luck!

Funny thing is at cold start..I dont hear it for about 3 mins...Then it starts and goes with the RPM's????

I have no clue but its driving me nutz...

99Z A4 with PP Stg 2, Big Cam, YT's, Holley Intake, ASP UDP, 80mm TB, all suspension bolt ons. 3500 Yank, 3.73, And afew others....

Any update, Have you figured out what that noise is?
Old 12-30-2003, 04:21 PM
Teching In

i SURE DID! Part of the noise was the IAC which I replaced. 60 bucks.

The other part was my Polished Holley Intake. When I reinstalled everything I re-RTV sealed the Intake to header area but forgot to seal the Intake access panell underneth with RTV. Once it warmed up A leak would begin( due to the expansion of metal. Problem for me now solved. Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Whining noise after H/C install