Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TR224 Owners Come Inside!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TR224 Owners Come Inside!

I've been having some problems with my MAF recently getting code PO101 meaning MAF Performance Problem. Upon acclerating in 6th and only 6th gear I get a slight stumble for a half sec but just now recently it happended in 5th and stumbled for 2 secs and threw the SES light. For the PCM to throw the SES light for this code it has to stumble for 2 seconds. Other than this problem it seems my idle quality of my car has gone down considerably. It still starts right up and drives fine but it seems the engine, tranny and exhaust tips shake alot more violently than before I had this MAF code thrown.

Can some of you guys with the TR224 describe how your engine, shifter and exhaust tips shake while idling? It seems that mine will idle smooth for a few secs then shake considerably more. The shifter will actually shake your arm while holding it in neutral. The exhaust tips also shake the same way. Is this common or am I just crazy!!!

BTW My idle speed was raised from 850 rpms to 950 rpms to smooth out the idle.

TFTH
Old 11-13-2003, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

My motor will be smooth and then shake and back and forth. I have seen alot of guys though with different cams that have their motor shake alot at idle too. I don't think it would be caused by the cam but I could be wrong. It sounds like your maf may be going out.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

My car used to do that alot right after my cam install. It would shake my hand when holding the shifter, the whole car would shake actually, mirrors and all. I would throw a MAF code, not sure which one though, I don't remember anymore. It all went away after I got it tuned via LS1 edit. The idle was a lot smoother, no more vibrating mirrors, shifter doesn't shake like before (just normal now) and no more code. Get it tuned, it will solve your problems.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Guys, My car has been tuned by Mikey from Rapid Motorsports and he did a great job and I don't think the problem is associated with his tuning. Although he is offering his help to remedy this problem. Last night I installed a set of AC Delco Copper Plugs gapped at .50" and it really smoothed the idle out over the factory Delco Platinums also gapped at .50". The idle felt like it did before I had this MAF problem. Upon recommendation from my tuner I am gonna get a new Pace LS6 MAF calibrated for the LS1 and see if that helps. Thanks guys!
Old 11-14-2003, 10:32 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will always have some idle shake with a performance cam; that's one reason GM doesn't give you one from the factory (the other reason is higher emissions.) The longer the cam duration and the smaller the LSA, the more shake you will get. With a really big cam, it can look like the engine is trying to shake right off it's mounts! I have a TR224 114, which probably has a little less shake than your TR224 112. If you bump the idle speed up to 950 rpm, and add 4 degrees more idle ignition timing, it will greatly reduce this idle shake.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
Upon recommendation from my tuner I am gonna get a new Pace LS6 MAF calibrated for the LS1 and see if that helps. Thanks guys!
Anybody have a URL for this part? I could not find it on PACE's site. I found the conversion harness, but not the MAF itself.

Anybody have any positive or negative experiences to share about the PACE LS6 MAF on an early LS1 with the early style MAF? I am considering doing this change shortly to use a new Halltech intake on my '97 C5.

Cheers,

-Jake
Old 11-17-2003, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

I have the same cam on my car. Just finished putting it in on Sunday. The shakes real bad at idle. Sometimes it wont be as bad but most of the time it is shakeing the car real bad. It threw a code of misfire on all cyl`s but only at idle, it doesn't mis at high rpm under a load. If is realy a great fu*king cam I love it I plan on getting LS1 edit to fix my problem.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

JakeL... Here is the link where you can find it.....http://www.paceparts.com/subcatmfgpr...8&1=317&2=1094

Anywho my Pace descreened LS6 MAF arrived today and I installed it. Immediately upon startup my car idled exactly smooth at 950 rpms like it did before my MAF code was thrown. Mikey told me that if the MAF was malfuctioning it would throw his tune way off and boy it really did. My car felt sooo much smoother and responsive. The stumble was repeatable in 6th while accelerating in 6th gear at 1800-2000 rpms up a slight grade. Well now with the new MAF it runs great and I could not get it to stumble and I tried for over 50 miles. I'm more than happy that this trouble is now gone.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

awesome, thanks for the URL, and congrats for getting your car running right again

-J