Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle oil pressure was 50-52, now 39-41 after hitting a chunk of concrete... ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle oil pressure was 50-52, now 39-41 after hitting a chunk of concrete... ideas?

Hit a wonderful 6" x 6" chunk of concrete on the shoulder of the highway when I pulled off to put my top back in due to a sudden rain shower.

Monitored oil pressure and all looked good... got off the highway to go to my buddy's and it drops to 35psi... so I pull over immediately and expect to see a cracked oil pan or filter... nothing. Drive to my buddy's where we jack it up and only damage is a nick in the front crossmember where it hit and a small nick on the oil pan. Oil filter etc. is all fine.

My car has 84,000 miles on it. I'm running a LS4 high volume pump, Amsoil 5w40 and a K&N oil filter. Ever since I took my oil cooler out I was seeing 49-53 psi at hot idle and 60ish hot cruise.

Now I'm still seeing the same at crusise and WOT, but my hot idle is 39-41... scratching my head here to see what if anything could have changed causing my idle oil pressure to drop like that.

Even when I had the oil cooler in place my idle oil pressure was always in the 47-49 psi range.

Started it up and backed it out to go to work today and the garage floor is total clean... I'm not loosing any oil anywhere and oil pressures look exactly the same everywhere but hot idle.

-Brian
Old 07-02-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How old is your oil? I've noticed now that it's gotten hotter around here. If I'm going down the interstate in my V6 bird for a long period of time. When I get off the exit it is a lil low on oil pressure. I know the problem is bc I'm coming up on time to change the oil to something thicker now that it's summer and not cold anymore.

Does it have normal pressure when you first start it up?
Old 07-02-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes... normal oil pressure at startup... everything is the same other than hot idle pressure.

The oil has about 3000 miles on it... it's Amsoil 5w40 synthetic.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Ya sounds like you need to change the oil as it's already breaking down. You must have been a little tough on it.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bjamick
Ya sounds like you need to change the oil as it's already breaking down. You must have been a little tough on it.
Oil breaking down makes the effective viscosity go up... which would make pressure go up.

Amsoil 5w40 is hardly "broken down" at 3000 miles... plus... the change literally happened last night after hitting the concrete.

I'll most likely change the oil filter first and see what happens.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What oil filter do you run?
Old 07-02-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Trust me if it put a hole in your pan you would be asking what that knocking sound was. I'm just telling you from my experience with my car. If you dont see any serious damage then the concrete should have done nothing to change your oil pressure.

From what you just said, completely describes what my car is doing. Oh well what do I know ..
Old 07-02-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

K&N one.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bjamick
Trust me if it put a hole in your pan you would be asking what that knocking sound was. I'm just telling you from my experience with my car. If you dont see any serious damage then the concrete should have done nothing to change your oil pressure.

From what you just said, completely describes what my car is doing. Oh well what do I know ..
I agree w/ you... which is why it's confusing. The weather has been very hot here, but that has no effect on my oil temp. I'm always at 210-212 at cruise.

I'm going to change the oil and filter and see what happens... after that I'll just drive it and forget about it.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Oil breaking down makes the effective viscosity go up... which would make pressure go up.

Amsoil 5w40 is hardly "broken down" at 3000 miles... plus... the change literally happened last night after hitting the concrete.

I'll most likely change the oil filter first and see what happens.
ive never experienced an oil breaking down and making viscosity go up unless you have some SERIOUS sludge buildup that the oil is cleaning out.. Oil pressure is always higher when oil is newer for me... i can also start to hear piston slap when ive reached the life of my oil, which also tells me its thinner when old. But thats beside the point.

I wouldnt worry to much about it. You still have plenty of oil pressure and its the same when driving.. Maybe your sending unit was slightly sticking and reading high idle and the hit from the block freed it a bit... lol who knows.. Do the easy things. Change the oil and filter and see if the pressure goes back into your comfort zone.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Funny thing is that my comfort zone is actually lower... if I change cams this winter I'll go back to a ported LS6 pump. Don't need all the pressure of the LS4 w/o the oil cooler and track use.

We'll see what happens w/ some fresh oil and a new filter.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Completely WAG. Well, slightly WAG.

I just replaced my stock oil pump with a ported/polished LS3 unit, with a different spring. My oil pressure is significantly higher now.

Perhaps when the concrete jarred the engine, it slightly moved the spring inside your oil pump and caused it to regulate at a slightly different pressure???

BTW, I wouldn't worry too much about it. When we removed my engine, there were several gouges in the pan where I'd run over curbing at the track at over 100mph. Looked scary, but there were no problems. It's a pretty stout pan.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

Now I'm still seeing the same at crusise and WOT, but my hot idle is 39-41... scratching my head here to see what if anything could have changed causing my idle oil pressure to drop like that.

-Brian
Im pretty sure mine is 35psi hot idle. but i only have a TSP ported LS6 oil pump
Old 07-02-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
Completely WAG. Well, slightly WAG.

I just replaced my stock oil pump with a ported/polished LS3 unit, with a different spring. My oil pressure is significantly higher now.

Perhaps when the concrete jarred the engine, it slightly moved the spring inside your oil pump and caused it to regulate at a slightly different pressure???

BTW, I wouldn't worry too much about it. When we removed my engine, there were several gouges in the pan where I'd run over curbing at the track at over 100mph. Looked scary, but there were no problems. It's a pretty stout pan.
Could be it... or it could be that I haven't paid close attention to my oil pressure in this continued high heat we're having until now. Maybe the oil does thin out as it ages... the oil is 11 months in the car and 2500ish miles.

As far as jarring... I've jarred the car way worse during off course exursions at VIR
Originally Posted by eamador11
Im pretty sure mine is 35psi hot idle. but i only have a TSP ported LS6 oil pump
Yeah the LS4 pump has a different internal mechanism that moves more oil with each revolution.

Drove it to get lunch today... was 50ish at idle when semi-warm. When fully warmed up w/ oil temp at 213 degrees I was steady 40 psi.

Like I said... I'm going to change the oil and not worry about it.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Thicker is Better (that's what your mom said)

Run a thicker oil, dude. 10W-40 or 10W-50. I had the same problem with Royal Purple 5W-30 then switched back to regular 10W-40. Oil pressure went back to normal right away. Also, I saw less oil consumption over 3000 miles. Thin oil and hard driving don't seem to mix, but that's just my experience.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

Could be it... or it could be that I haven't paid close attention to my oil pressure in this continued high heat we're having until now. Maybe the oil does thin out as it ages... the oil is 11 months in the car and 2500ish miles.

As far as jarring... I've jarred the car way worse during off course exursions at VIR

Yeah the LS4 pump has a different internal mechanism that moves more oil with each revolution.

Drove it to get lunch today... was 50ish at idle when semi-warm. When fully warmed up w/ oil temp at 213 degrees I was steady 40 psi.

Like I said... I'm going to change the oil and not worry about it.
I was wrong, I just checked today and my oil pressure is between 30-31psi hot idle. Its 40 when its cold start.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eamador11
I was wrong, I just checked today and my oil pressure is between 30-31psi hot idle. Its 40 when its cold start.
That's what mine's at too after my H/C swap (don't really remember what it was before the swap). I just ported the outlet hole on the pump and left the stock pressure spring in there.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well after swapping the Mobil 1 5w30 and the Mobil 1 filter I'm seeing a lowest of 35 psi hot idle after ******* the car in 90 degree weather. Normal hot idle seems to be 38ish. Hot cruise is 57-60 and WOT is around 80-84 at redline.

I'd think if something was jarred loose I'd not be able to hold oil pressure at all. I'm going to just monitor it for a bit unless anyone has a better idea.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Launching!

could of banged up the oil filter maybe ?
Old 07-06-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mightybird
could of banged up the oil filter maybe ?
I replaced the 11 month old Amsoil 5w40 and K&N filter w/ Mobil 1 5w30 and M1 filter this weekend.... as expected, the pressure went down a few PSI w/ the 5w30 oil vs. 5w40.

I don't track the car anymore and no longer have an oil cooler installed so I actually want lower pressure... just not for no apparent reason.

I'm just going to watch it closely and see what happens... if it changes again then I know something is up... as it stands right now this could all be from the hot weather and return to a stock non-vented hood.

When I first pulled my oil cooler it was in February and since watching the oil pressures closely then I haven't paid much attention. So... the lower presssure I'm seeing could be from the hot weather and a hotter engine bay, but I can't be certain.