Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to go about changing piston rings

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 08:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to go about changing piston rings

If I need to replace my piston rings, whats the best route to go?

I live in an apartment complex, so tearing down the motor myself right now really isn't that great of an option. It would be possible, but then I wouldn't have anywhere to bring the motor, and being on the 3rd floor doesn't make it any easier

If I were to take it to a reputable shop here in Virginia, how much do you think I would end up spending? I've seen people get rings for <$100, so I'm more worried about the labor obviously. What should I expect to pay, and do you think the stealership would even be an option? I've NEVER wanted to take it there for anything, and never have, just trying to figure out my best options. Thanks!

EDIT: Ok, so It seems that I'm going to need to do a rebuild or get a new engine to get this taken care of. In the meantime, how bad is it to keep driving the car, as long as I keep adding oil and keep it at a good level?

Last edited by matrik; 07-03-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have any friends with a garage you can use? I would not take it to the dealership.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by matrik
If I need to replace my piston rings, whats the best route to go?
Engine replacement.

There are a few reputable sponsors in your area. VA speed? Contact them.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah, I don't plan on taking it to the dealership, was just throwing it out there hehe. Not in my area, I have a garage about an hour and a half away I can use, just not sure how long its gonna take for me to get it done. Have never torn down a complete motor before either.

I called up a local performance shop, Virginia Speed, and he said that if I were to do it, his engine builder really recommends putting forged pistons in. If I'm gonna tear it down I would want to build it up as strong as possible, but obviously money is the big issue.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:51 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If money is a big issue, then you need to leave it alone until you can afford to do it right. Never tear down an engine and try to put it back together half ***. And another "never" = Don't go into an engine build with no money, because it's guaranteed you're going to spend more money than you thought.

When you have the funds, let VA Speed do it. They're a very reputable shop and a paying sponsor. They also have great tuning capabilities.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buying a used longblock and swapping over a cam would be a much cheaper alternative to going with a built engine. It could be done for under $2000 parts and labor.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Damian
If money is a big issue, then you need to leave it alone until you can afford to do it right. Never tear down an engine and try to put it back together half ***. And another "never" = Don't go into an engine build with no money, because it's guaranteed you're going to spend more money than you thought.

When you have the funds, let VA Speed do it. They're a very reputable shop and a paying sponsor. They also have great tuning capabilities.
Yeah, I am well aware of the "never go into a build without money" montra, and I was planning on following it . Now the amount of money I would need to get it done right is my main question right now then? Are we talking about 1k, 2k+? How much do you think I'll need to get it done right. Also, my car is a high milage car, with 127k on the clock. Would I just be better off trying to find a used motor with low milage and swapping my cam in and such. Because I have a feeling if I try to rebuild the motor, once opening it up, I'm going to need to do much more than just pistons and rings, which seems to be the case. It seems you can find plenty of things that could use replacing or freshening up.

And my final question, how bad is it to continue driving it? I have a constant light smoke coming out of the pipes even at idle. If I keep adding oil and keep it at a good level, am I going to damage the motor even worse? This is not my DD, so parking it until I have the cash wouldn't be impossible.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:19 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

New rings are going to require a fresh hone on the cylinders anyways, so forged pistons wouldn't be a bad idea.

This wouldn't be a one weekend ordeal, so I hope you have a dd in the meantime. If not, you may want to find another motor in a junkyard (maybe something bigger?) and have that rebuilt, that way there is minimal downtime and you can sell the old engine to recoup some of the expenses.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just make sure and get a complete gasket set for your car. Some of them can be re-used though. Like the intake for example.

Just get a fresh hone job, and have the machine shop install and file your rings to fit.

Make sure and have the entire bottom end balanced.

Replace all bearings.

new oil pump O-ring.

That should be good right there. I may have forgot something but that's the basics for a rebuild. Not to expensive, less than a $1000 if you do all the R&R.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 442 Likes on 353 Posts

I spun a bearing in my 153K LS1 and I'm just doing new bearings and rings. Technically, I'm installing a 100% new stock rotating assembly that I got dirt cheap from Katech along with a set of their rod bolts, but since it's all the same basic parts, if yours check out good, I would reuse them. If you can find a place to do the labor yourself, it's not that bad price wise. I bought a new crank, rods, Katech rod bolts, pistons, rings, bearings, cam bearings, gaskets, head bolts, oil pump O-ring, crank bolt, lifters, LS6 valley cover, and knock sensors & harness for $1100 including shipping. You could probably knock half that off for just doing rings and bearings.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:04 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

To simplify the situation you can just find a take out motor in your area and swap them. Then part out your engine and make some of your money back. If you can swap the engine yourself, you could possibly have a good running motor in the car for less than $1000 once your damaged engine is parted out. Take outs go for $1000-1500 around here.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

Thats a good possibility, I just want to know if I'm going to damage the engine any by driving it with blowby?
Old 07-03-2009, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 442 Likes on 353 Posts

Won't damage it in the short term. It might consume some oil, have some excessive crankcase pressure, but I doubt it will cause it to destroy itself.

Quick Reply: How to go about changing piston rings