Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear seal Help?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear seal Help?????

So I just replaced my rear seal..... Drove the car for maybe twenty miles and got under it today... About a mothh after the drive and there is oil drops on the floor and coming from the clutch hole... What would cause this? Its a new seal with a new clutch? and with these drops im scared of ruining my new $800 clutch... what can I do... Im so lost.....
Old 07-04-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This really has to suck, stop driving it immediately and there's a good chance the clutch disc is salvageable.

Let's see if we can figure out the cause:

1.) Did you install it w/ the proper J-tool, or pound it in?

2.) Did you completely clean the crank surface to remove all oil and contaminants? Lightly oil the new seal's *EXTERIOR* and leave the interior sealing surface completely dry?

3.) Are you absolutely, positively, 100% certain that you installed it facing the right direction and didn't reverse it?

Let us know on each item above and we can move from there.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002RamAir
So I just replaced my rear seal..... Drove the car for maybe twenty miles and got under it today... About a mothh after the drive and there is oil drops on the floor and coming from the clutch hole... What would cause this? Its a new seal with a new clutch? and with these drops im scared of ruining my new $800 clutch... what can I do... Im so lost.....
Don't know if this will apply to your situation, but I replaced mine last month and I don't think it was even the problem. I'm running a 200R4 (with open bottom bellhousing) and saw oil literally slinging off the rear main seal. After changing the seal, it dawned on me that I had made no provision for any kind of breather system and the oil was likely being pushed past the seal by crankcase pressure. Now I have a pair of valve cover breathers and a new seal...

Russ
Old 07-04-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crainholio
1.) Did you install it w/ the proper J-tool, or pound it in?
I agree with this. But also, did you put thread sealant on the flywheel bolts? The crankshaft bolt holes go all the way through, and will push oil out through the threads unless you use sealant.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Regular

I took the rear cover off and cleaned everything.. tapped the new seal in using the old seal with a block of wood over top to make sure of even pressure... put the cover on with new gasket and red rtv along bottom of cover where it meets the oil pan... I used locktite on all bolts when installing flywheel and pressure plate... I also triple checked to make sure the seal was the right way... The car is a turbo car with proper crank vent.. have a catch can with some one way check valves and breather per the way revextreme explained to me to set it up.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

I took the rear cover off and cleaned everything.. tapped the new seal in using the old seal with a block of wood over top to make sure of even pressure... put the cover on with new gasket and red rtv along bottom of cover where it meets the oil pan... I used locktite on all bolts when installing flywheel and pressure plate... I also triple checked to make sure the seal was the right way... The car is a turbo car with proper crank vent.. have a catch can with some one way check valves and breather per the way revextreme explained to me to set it up.
How certain are you that the rear cover was aligned properly when it was reinstalled?

There's a J-tool just for cover alignment, and while some can eyeball it and get it right I'm not one of them.

If the cover is off very much at all, the seal won't form properly around the crank.

And what about the crank surface as I asked earlier...was it completely cleaned and degreased before the new seal went over it?
Old 07-05-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

The crank surface was clean... took a rag sprayed brake cleaner on it and cleaned end of crank and every mating surface...

My guess is that the cover is not aligned right esp if it is that tempermental...

Where can I find this j tool?
Old 07-05-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you replace the pilot bearing when you swapped the clutch? There is a plug behind the pilot bearing that can leak oil also. If you disassemble it again you might want to make sure the plug loooks good.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

The crank surface was clean... took a rag sprayed brake cleaner on it and cleaned end of crank and every mating surface...

My guess is that the cover is not aligned right esp if it is that tempermental...

Where can I find this j tool?
Kent-Moore SPX, and sometimes eBay.

When you get the trans and clutch off, you'll be able to see the source of the leak and then decide if you need the J-tool or it's something else.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by massls1guy
Did you replace the pilot bearing when you swapped the clutch? There is a plug behind the pilot bearing that can leak oil also. If you disassemble it again you might want to make sure the plug loooks good.
car only has 30k miles so did not see the need for the pilot bearing...
Old 07-05-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

hopefully everything will work out... im just praying my clutch is not shot!!!!!