Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a couple of H/C install questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a couple of H/C install questions

I read most of the walkthrough on JIMX website. There are a few things I am unclear on. When you buy H/C you still need to upgrade the pushrods right?(they don't come with the heads, correct) Also on his list of things to get he says you need to get a set of head bolts, why can't you just re-use the stock head bolts you pull out? And why is it so necessary to clean all the coolant out of the head bolt holes? Is it because the coolant gets in there when you remove the heads?

Sorry for all the questions.
Brian
Old 11-15-2003, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Pushrods are always a good idea, and no they aren't included. Head bolts are replaced just for peace of mind, in theory you could reuse them but replacing them with a stronger bolt just makes sense while the heads are already off. Cleaning coolent out of the head bolt holes is to prevent any sort of force working against the bolt's hold in the block. Could make it easier for the bolt to work its way out of the hole. Just my .02
Old 11-15-2003, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

1) You do not want to use stock pushrode with an a high lift cam and high spring rates.
2) The stock headbolts are "stretched" when they are installed, only meant to be used once.
3) If you do not get the coolant out of the bolt holes,you can/will crack the block.
Old 11-15-2003, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some cam packages come with new chrome moly pushrods. Just depends on the package and the cost.

Stock head bolts are torque to yield bolts and once stretched, any torque to yield bolts should not be reused. If you use an aftermarket bolt or stud kit such as ARP, you can reuse those.

Coolant will spill into some of the bolt holes when you pull the heads. If you thread a head bolt into a blind hole that has any liquid in it. the liquid cannot compress and can crack the block when you tighten the bolt.
Old 11-15-2003, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sorry, I know that you need to upgrade the pushrods. What I was getting at is, when you order H/C the upgraded pushrods are not included.

Are the ARP bolts worth it? What is the difference in cost between the ARP bolts and new stock head bolts.

Thanks alot for all your answers guys, you have been very helpful, unlike some people on that "other" forum.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:35 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

definately clean the coolant out of the holes. a dealer did this guys headswap and they didnt clean out the holes, cracked the block in 3 places :o, he's now getting a new block . it dont take but a minute to clean them out with shop towels.

i spent about 100 bucks on new gm bolts from paceparts. dont forget the new gaskets as well.

the "other" forum aint that bad, but if you really need tech info this is the place
Old 11-15-2003, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrp

the "other" forum aint that bad, but if you really need tech info this is the place

Agreed, I visit there as much as I do here. But they are usually not as willing to give information.

And absolutely agreed as far as the technical expertise is here.