Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing chain replacement?

Old 07-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing chain replacement?

im putting a new timing chain in my new rebuild.. my rebuild isnt really performance ill be lucky to make 375whp with bolt ons and its not really my plan.. I want reliable and good parts..

I went to autozone and they said there timing set for my ls1 is made by clyoes? its just the standard replacement one.. are these any good at all to say up to 400whp?? im on a budget.. and i dont want to have to replace my timing chain 30K down the line cause its cheap made or junk..

anyone have ideas??
Old 07-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Launching!

ls2 timing chain, its bout $40 from most sponsors on here, and its stronger than stock
Old 07-09-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to take anything away from the sponsors, but ordering one relatively cheap item like that you might be better off to just go to your local dealer and get one. Should be ~$42 when all is said and done for an LS2 timing chain.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

My understanding is the LS2 timing chain is cheap and everyone says stronger than stock LS1. How much stronger? enough for a daily driven head cam and all the boltons.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cloyes makes the OEM timing set for GM. Cloyes uses the so called LS2 timing chain. This chain is made by Renold in the UK. Guess what I am trying to say is if Autozone has Cloyes in a Cloyes box (the real deal) of the correct part number, all of the above discussed parts are one in the same.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jimbo98z
Not trying to take anything away from the sponsors, but ordering one relatively cheap item like that you might be better off to just go to your local dealer and get one. Should be ~$42 when all is said and done for an LS2 timing chain.
but if you really want to get technical, i'm betting its cheaper to pay for the shiping from a sponsor than to pay for the gas money it would take to drive to the nearest dealer, not to mention that i like the convenience of just ordering it online
Old 07-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

actually the timing chain came in today and its darn thick.. its thicker than the stock one i took off.. and well i have to agree that it must be a ls1 chain from the gitgo cause its a cloyes.. and like was said above.

ls2 chains replaced the ls1 chains in oem stuff.. why not do the same in aftermarket?? ill prob just stick with the cloyes i bought cause its visually thicker and stronger looking than the oem one i took off.. and like i said im not going to have a hardcore race machine.. just a stock rebuild with a few small performance parts just for extra gitgo!..

im still looking for a complete ls1 and 6 speed setup if anyone has one!! i need it from an f body!!
Old 07-10-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If it is a true Cloyes, it is the same chain as the LS2 as they provide them to GM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: timing chain replacement?