Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C combo.... need opinions for ls6 heads stg 2 and torquer v3

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default H/C combo.... need opinions for ls6 heads stg 2 and torquer v3

I am definitely going with the torquer v3 111 lsa and I'm pretty sure the ls6 stage 2.5 ported heads from tsp. Is this a good setup?

I have

ls6 intake
ls7 clutch
stock 3.42s
10mm taylors
lid
td xpipe 3" w/ sweet thunders

I plan to upgrade differential later, add sfc, adj. phb, ud pulley, and if I can get a good deal on a fast 90/90, full tune once h/c done

I want a street car not track. Street drive ability is very important. Looking to get over 430rwhp and over 400 tq

Again, is this possible with this set-up?
Old 07-12-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

ive got the torquer 3, stage 1 ls6 heads... not bad on a dd.. its untuned and has barelyt any surge... gets tuned wed. ill let you know how it pulls.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^cool I look forward to your no.'s

anybody else?
Old 07-13-2009, 12:48 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkhorSe_SS
I am definitely going with the torquer v3 111 lsa and I'm pretty sure the ls6 stage 2.5 ported heads from tsp. Is this a good setup?

I have

ls6 intake
ls7 clutch
stock 3.42s
10mm taylors
lid
td xpipe 3" w/ sweet thunders

I plan to upgrade differential later, add sfc, adj. phb, ud pulley, and if I can get a good deal on a fast 90/90, full tune once h/c done

I want a street car not track. Street drive ability is very important. Looking to get over 430rwhp and over 400 tq

Again, is this possible with this set-up?
Looks like you already have your setup picked out. I think you could save a bunch of money on a set of stock 243's and achieve your goals no problem. Check out my signature dyno link. I made good powe for stockish 243's and a custom 224 cam. If I threw an underdrive pulley and a fast on I would be over 430wrhp with great torque and street manners. I daily drive my street car and it runs great and I lost no power down low at all. I shift at 1500rpm in town and knock down 28mpg highway / 18 city with romping on it.

Oh I also have $180 ebay headers and a home built non mandrel bent y pipe. My setup was definitely budget.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I guess those ebay headers are pretty good after all!!
Old 07-14-2009, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

How much ponies and torque would I get on these ls6 stg 2 ported heads over porting stock 243s??
Old 07-14-2009, 07:52 AM
TECH Junkie

while you have the engine apart....swap the pulley...no sense doing it 2x.

your planned setup should make killer power, and should easily make your hp goals. hard to say what the torque will be. some cams break 400 easy...others don't.

the FAST should REALLY wake the car up. a ported FAST on my Torquer V1 with stock heads did 408rwhp.

oh...and you may want to rethink that ls7 clutch setup. with your setup, and planned upgrades later, you're gonna be closing in on the max capacity of that clutch.
why not put a setup in the first time that will DEFINATLY hold the power?

besides the ls7 is HEAVY!!! which will cost some power.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Junkie

the stage 2.5 heads are milled down to 59cc so you will gain in compression and also fro mthe porting and polishing they have to offer. I would guess anywhere from 20-30 hp difference.

You will be about 11.1-11.3 compression with those heads.

I have a very similar set up thru a 12 bolt and made over 430rwhp. I am now putting on a ported fast/fast, and a bigger plate. So we will see.

This is a great street setup BTW, just make sure you check your valve springs at least once a year.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
the stage 2.5 heads are milled down to 59cc so you will gain in compression and also fro mthe porting and polishing they have to offer. I would guess anywhere from 20-30 hp difference.
^^^ agreed. the extra compression should help with torque to.

Black01 WS6.. Im looking at getting ur exact h/c setup, wanting to know if u made those numbers with the heads milled and if u made those numbers w/o the fast intake/tb? and if so, you had to flycut the pistons right?

If u made these numbers without a fast intake, i have to say, very impressive.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KillaCamZ28
^^^ agreed. the extra compression should help with torque to.

Black01 WS6.. Im looking at getting ur exact h/c setup, wanting to know if u made those numbers with the heads milled and if u made those numbers w/o the fast intake/tb? and if so, you had to flycut the pistons right?

If u made these numbers without a fast intake, i have to say, very impressive.
I made those #'s with out a FASt setup, and didn't have to flycut the pistons. My heads are 59cc as well, with more than you normal port work. blended bowls etc..

I love my combo for the street, but now want a more strip. Hence going FAST setup as well going to a Th-400. over winter I am building a new motor for a lot of juice.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
I made those #'s with out a FASt setup, and didn't have to flycut the pistons. My heads are 59cc as well, with more than you normal port work. blended bowls etc..

I love my combo for the street, but now want a more strip. Hence going FAST setup as well going to a Th-400. over winter I am building a new motor for a lot of juice.
If you don't mind me asking, would your route be cheaper than getting forged pistons so that i could have the 59cc?
Old 07-15-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KillaCamZ28
If you don't mind me asking, would your route be cheaper than getting forged pistons so that i could have the 59cc?
Alot of that depends on what you do to the heads. If you can get forged pistons get them, it will payoff later. I am on the verge of the limits of the stock short block with the 150 shot on top, and am kinda waiting to see how much it can take with a safe tune.

You can get even smaller than 59cc, but then it will limit your cam choice. My combo works for my as I clayed the PTV to make sure there were no problems, but others have had issues. Either way it will be close.

You could also go with the 64cc head and go with the cometic head gasket to get around 11.1 compression, with more room for cam choice.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:35 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We can mill the PRC heads for you free of charge so maximizing the compression for your camshaft will be no problem. We are going to be doing dyno comparisons of the stock LS6 head next to a stage 1 & stage 2.5 late this week. If you'd like to come down for these engine dyno tests let me know! We've always got room for a few independent eyes to checkout what we're doing during development work!

If you run a search in the dyno section there was recently a guy that installed stage 2.5 LS6 heads & gained 35rwhp over his stock LS6/LS2 heads!!!
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 07-16-2009, 12:45 AM
Teching In

Yeah I've talked to some people down at Texas Speed.. and it sounds that if I mill the stg 2.5 ls6 heads to 59cc.. i wont be able to get a torquer v2 cam.. so i was trying to see if i had options other than pistons/rods, obviously thats the smartest move but i wanna know the cost of having the heads ported in a way that allows for my cam, or the gasket route
Old 07-16-2009, 02:14 AM
11 Second Club

Yes awesome setup from what I hear. Well paired. I have the torquer v3 and with a good tune it ran soo smooth and made some sick power!

My only complaint is that it is very hard on valvesprings so keep thàt in mind. I broke 3 prc duals, so I recommend looking at some high end comp beehives or some pac springs, a few I heard were good. But damn I bet it'll run good.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
Yes awesome setup from what I hear. Well paired. I have the torquer v3 and with a good tune it ran soo smooth and made some sick power!

My only complaint is that it is very hard on valvesprings so keep thàt in mind. I broke 3 prc duals, so I recommend looking at some high end comp beehives or some pac springs, a few I heard were good. But damn I bet it'll run good.

So how often have u changed the valve springs?

How is the ride in the lower rpms? Will it stall under 2k?

Last edited by DarkhorSe_SS; 07-16-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive got that same cam on PRC 5.2 2.5 heads and mine is an A4. With an OK tune, my driveabliity isnt that bad at all. Its needs to warm up a little before it wants to idle, but im certain that if i got a retune that it would be great.

and im also anxious to see about the valve springs, Ive had mine for about a year so this is something i wanna see...
Old 07-16-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
We can mill the PRC heads for you free of charge so maximizing the compression for your camshaft will be no problem. We are going to be doing dyno comparisons of the stock LS6 head next to a stage 1 & stage 2.5 late this week. If you'd like to come down for these engine dyno tests let me know! We've always got room for a few independent eyes to checkout what we're doing during development work!

If you run a search in the dyno section there was recently a guy that installed stage 2.5 LS6 heads & gained 35rwhp over his stock LS6/LS2 heads!!!

Looking forward to this test! Will defintly be the deciding route on whether or not to port my heads. Keep us updated Jason
Old 07-16-2009, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I saw a guy up here in a Colorado with that excact setup at our dyno shop put down 460 to the wheels on a M6 with a 12 bolt with 4.10's. Your dyno numbers could be high with this setup . He did have bigger injectors though.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

In 10k miles i broke 3 valvesprings. It couldve been defective springs or something as i havent had troubles since. I would highly recommend you stay away from prc duals with this cam as it is very aggressive on the valvetrain. Get ones that are rated for a bit higher lift. Id say the springs should be fine for at least 30k-50k miles if

It drives like a charm, if it is stalling under 2000 rpms, you have a tune issue. Mine runs perfect.

Injectors are a must! I maxed out mine with just the cam. Get some ford svo greentops, they are fairly cheap and will leave you much headroom.