Sponsored by:

Mech oil gauge and pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 08:46 AM
L79
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mech oil gauge and pressure

Hi, new to site, have a 66 Chevy II and a bought a used 5.3L to put into it, the motor has been sitting so i thought i would prime the oil pump just to get oil moving around, so i bought the fitting that goes in the galley plug above the filter and using a drill type pump, pushed in 4 qts and the other 2 went into fill tube. The rockers were getting oil so i put a mechanical oil pressure where the oil pressure sending unit was, i have notice everyone else drill and taps the piece above filter to place gauge. will i get accurate reading where i put the gauge at? after that i i figured i could then hook a battery up and turn starter with no sparkplugs to get it primed better but what i noticed was that the oil was not making it to the gauge but still showed ~35 psi while cranking and no oil at the rockers, by the time the oil started dripping out at the rockers the starter was getting alittle warm. i know this is a stupid question and i tried searching the posts, but is thier something not letting the oil flow or is it just a matter of not having enough rpm on the oil pump to get it moving faster? thanks for your time sorry for such a long post , just trying to learn the quirks on the gen III.

Thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

the gauge has air in the line . it will still read right even if you don't see oil in the line.

35psi sounds like plenty off the starter. fire it up and see what you have then
Old 07-12-2009, 03:33 PM
L79
Teching In

i read something on the oil diverter and thought that might be causing the problem, i wasn't sure so i asked, i appreciate you taking the time.