Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What cam will make the most power on my stock LS6 motor in my 03 Z06 no flycutting.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What cam will make the most power on my stock LS6 motor in my 03 Z06 no flycutting.

I do not want to have to fly cut the pistons and i am looking to get as close to 425 rwhp horsepower as possible with my stock Ls6 heads and considering i already have aggressive bolt on mods i already have (intake, stainless werks headers, x-pipe, borla stinger, 4.10 gears, etc.).

The car will be driven primarily on the streets and highways as my regular dry weather driver so i need something reliable with the most heavy duty valve springs as i don't want to be breakin any springs, etc. and crapping out when i take a weekend get away with the wife, etc.

What would be the best overall cam for me and also kindly consider i am running 4.10s when giving me your selection. If you saw my other thread that asks for stealthness, forget the stealthness issue for purposes of this thread.

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2003, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The cam that produces the most power is not going to be the same cam you want to take your wife out for a weekend getaway.

For the weekend getaway I would suggest an MTI stealth cam, or the new LS6 replacement cam from Comp.

For the power I think the G5X2 is probably the biggest out there with no flycutting required???-Back me up on this.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by niphilli
The cam that produces the most power is not going to be the same cam you want to take your wife out for a weekend getaway.

For the weekend getaway I would suggest an MTI stealth cam, or the new LS6 replacement cam from Comp.

For the power I think the G5X2 is probably the biggest out there with no flycutting required???-Back me up on this.

Thanks Nephilli,

By the way, what are the specs. on the LS6 replacement cam and does one have to change out the valve springs and retainers, etc. with this cam or not.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think I read on here someone was using the G5X-3 with stock heads. Not sure of the size on this one but I'm sure it's quite massive, although I haven't seen it put out all that much better numbers yet than the X2 so far.

The 4.10's would definately help the car get into the power band quicker because most of these cams are pretty peaky high RPM wise.

Whatever you pick, since you won't be upgrading your lifters leaving your stock heads on - go with the new Crane dual springs or you can look at those new Combination motorsports single springs. People are running monster cams with the CM springs and they seem to be doing pretty well.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

MTI 427 C5 Roadster, with your set up you should be real close or over 425rwhp IMO. As far as a taking your wife out around the town it wont be anything like stock! It's all a matter of what you want. When it comes down to it it's really hard to get the best of both worlds IMO. I think you will always be giving something up to get something in return. Just my 2 cents.
Good luck!
Old 11-16-2003, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

425RWHP shouldnt be a problem with stock LS6 heads. I say you could doit with a hammer cam, or for sure with a TR224.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

big cam and stock streetability dont go well together. i would go with a std 222-224 cam or try a low lift "stealth" cam. on ls6 heads, that motor WILL make great power.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Forget the stealth issue as i like a little bit of a lope at idle but just can't go so radical where i have to fly cut pistons or stall at traffic lights. The TR 224 cam and or hammer cam might be great middle of the road choices but i will be really disappointed if i don't hit 425rwhp so i may have to step up to something more radical like the LGM G5x2 cam or something similar.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

I see it like this...for this type of goal...you should be planning on adding a new LSX intake as well. The LSX will most likely elimate a lot of the LS6 restrictions and is claimed to be worth ~10+ hp on a Z06. This should help you get to your goal by being a little less radical on the cam. Also if you dont have one a ported TB might help a little too...but with the LSX coming the matching 78mm TB might be just the ticket. This will allow you to maximize what what your stock LS6 heads can do.

Likewise, and underdrive pulley like the ASP will help you get closer to your power goals.

Before deciding on a high lift cam and single springs be sure and take a look at what happened to Vince's forged 347 LS1 when on the blue stripe 918's let go.

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/sh...hreadid=118295

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/114237-link-pic-what-blue-striped-918-s-did-my-motor.html
Old 11-16-2003, 06:50 PM
12 Second Club

Why not the TR 230 or TSP 231/237? They are streetable and you will definetley hit your 425 RWHP goal with some other boltons.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Zo6Cam on ls1.com has all the boltons with a tr227/224 cam and I think on stock heads he put out 427 rwhp.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:00 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Hey MTI427, Haven't talked to you in a while. You have to give Tom or Larry a call from SPEED INC. Tom has tried a bunch of cams in his ZO6. Those guys have installed more cams than you can imagine. They are awsome at accomplishing your specific goals. You have seen my car. They are the only shop that I let touch my car!! I am VERY picky!! Jim is the best. Good luck, give them a call you will be happy. When your done give me a call. Andy 630-531-5666.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:03 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

BTW hows that other MONSTER doing???
Old 11-16-2003, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO, if you want to consider a weekend trip with the wifey do not go bigger than 224/224 .581/581 on 114. Even then take precautions with double springs or that new "keeper" that will hold the valve up (to be released early next year).

-Nick
Old 11-16-2003, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
BTW hows that other MONSTER doing???
Hey neighbor, how's it going man? I already have an email into TOM and Larry. I am not 100% convinced that i am ready yet to open the heart of my new z06 but if i decide to do so a good aggressive cam will give me that extra 40 to 50 HP i am looking for.

The other beast is doing good with its new c5r 427 but without its glitches concerning spanking the rev limiter on the 2/3 WOT shift with its finicky A4 tranny. Going to FLP for new tranny upgrade in 1.5 weeks so i can get it fixed up and dialed in for the spring so i can get me my 10 sec. something time slip!

See ya round dude!
Old 11-16-2003, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MTI 427 C5 Roadster
I do not want to have to fly cut the pistons and i am looking to get as close to 425 rwhp horsepower as possible with my stock Ls6 heads and considering i already have aggressive bolt on mods i already have (intake, stainless werks headers, x-pipe, borla stinger, 4.10 gears, etc.).

The car will be driven primarily on the streets and highways as my regular dry weather driver so i need something reliable with the most heavy duty valve springs as i don't want to be breakin any springs, etc. and crapping out when i take a weekend get away with the wife, etc.

What would be the best overall cam for me and also kindly consider i am running 4.10s when giving me your selection. If you saw my other thread that asks for stealthness, forget the stealthness issue for purposes of this thread.

Thanks!
I very seriously doubt you will see 425rwhp with 4.10 gears.

The highest cam only Z06 I have seen was 431rwhp and that car had the Corsa titanium exhaust which is basically straight pipes w/o mufflers.

With the gears you have, I would aim for 410rwhp.

Even then, your car wont hook up at all on the street. Personally, I would add some rockers instead of a bigger cam. You already have another fast car.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by niphilli

I had to flycut them because of PtV clearance. As it was the MTI X1 Cam was a little to much.

Quick Reply: What cam will make the most power on my stock LS6 motor in my 03 Z06 no flycutting.