Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 gto bent valve help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 gto bent valve help please

Bought a motor from a wrecker and when i got motor home i noticed the driver side valve cover was not straight on motor. then i noticed something had to have hit it and caused it to slide over .. bending the valve cover bolts. i took valve cover off to find the last rocker arm looking fine but i was able to move it up and down.. I turned motor over by hand a couple of time and noticed that it still operated and pushed the valve spring down but on its way back up the valve spring still sits lower then the rest. I think when the car had got into a accident the valve cover was pushed over and kept the rocker arm from returning back up and bend the valve.

I plan on taking the head off of course. I need some peoples opinions on what i should do. I was thinking of sourcing a brand new valve and having the machine shop put it in and regrind it and the seat.. hoping the valve guide did not get cracked or the piston sustained to much damage. the rest of the motor looks nice.

thanks for anyones input.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A machine shop will need to install a new bronze valve guide and a new valve.

As long as the piston isnt hurt, should be all that needs replaced.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:04 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The VERY first thing you need to do, is pull both heads, and have them inspected/checked/pressure checked by a machine shop. A competent machine shop will be able to give you all the answers you need in what needs to be done to the heads. They'll also be able to find any cracks with the pressure test.

I would do that first, then go from there. Don't start throwing parts at it based off of assumptions.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys i got a new valve coming this week and i will bring it and the heads down to the machine shop to have them check it out. i couldn't source the valve guide.. im sure they can.

thanks.

Quick Reply: 04 gto bent valve help please