Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pushing coolant help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pushing coolant help!

well i just bought a 99 camaro SS has a small cam with new valves springs retainers nothing big..

well i picked it up drove it around was fine didnt push any coolant and seemed healthy. Since picked up had the coolant light thing (red light looks like radiator)

drove it home with 0 issues 400 miles. stopped at gas stations ever 200 no leaks no nothing never over heated.

well at the moment i get back home and shut off the car i get out and hear like bubbling (coolant) pop the hood to see what it was and then the overflow just starts spewing out.... about a good liter. car at least on the water temp gauge never showed it even going past 200 or even touching the 210 marker.

well i changed the radiator cap filled it back up and took it for a drive and at the moment i stop and turn the car off it over flows out....

any ideas im stumped.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Teching In

and the heater core is bypassed i dont know if that makes a difference beacause the old owner said it was leaking for one of the heater core hoses.... everything is still connected just a loop beteween both points
Old 07-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Default Head gasket

I had water pushing in my car and I replaced the rad cap, fan relays, thermostat, and had the computer retuned for the lower stat. NONE of these were the problem, it was one of the head gaskets. I replaced both. No one wants to believe it, me included. it fixed the problem and everything is fine since.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DSM4u2nv
well i just bought a 99 camaro SS has a small cam with new valves springs retainers nothing big..

well i picked it up drove it around was fine didnt push any coolant and seemed healthy. Since picked up had the coolant light thing (red light looks like radiator)

drove it home with 0 issues 400 miles. stopped at gas stations ever 200 no leaks no nothing never over heated.

well at the moment i get back home and shut off the car i get out and hear like bubbling (coolant) pop the hood to see what it was and then the overflow just starts spewing out.... about a good liter. car at least on the water temp gauge never showed it even going past 200 or even touching the 210 marker.

well i changed the radiator cap filled it back up and took it for a drive and at the moment i stop and turn the car off it over flows out....

any ideas im stumped.
You just baught the car? Sounds like the engine may have blown head gasket(s).

Short of doing a leakdown check....I would remove the t-stat, start the engine while cold and top off the coolant, go for a drive. If it still boils over when you come back from a 30 minute drive....gaskets are most likely what it is.

It could also be something caught up in front of the condensor, making it run hot as *****, then the coolant sprays out the over-flow, then the air in the system later on boils over. But you did say your temp guage always looked good. You could have a bad temp sensor too.

Last edited by LS6427; 07-15-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:42 PM
Teching In

yea... my low coolant light is on.... on my DSM ( i know different car) pushed coolant and it was a head gasket.... i didnt floor the car at all babied it the whole way till i got home and made one small pass....

it could be a head gasket.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Teching In

what about the heater core being by passed? any problems with that at all?
Old 07-16-2009, 12:16 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be low on coolant because of a air in the system or other trouble like a blocked rad or dirt blocking the outdside fins. Alot of reasons for cooking over when you shut off. My 99 did that when the water pump gaskets were leaking, it would leak a little at start up then stop. This caused the coolant level to be just low enough to cause the boiling over you describe. It doesn't take much.

Does the system look clean? rad clean? Carefully try this, with the engine cool pull the cap off and run the engine watching the coolant level until it starts to flow in the rad that you can see it moving. Then top it off put the cap on and take it for a drive. Be sure you are using good rad cap too.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:21 AM
Banned

I can't see the heater being bypassed a problem as long as the coolant can flow properly back through the hoses to the water pump.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:24 AM
Banned

The only way i can see head gaskets being a problem is if the coolant is nasty dirty and craped up blocking the coolant holes in the gaskets.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:13 AM
Teching In

yea......... and i should tech be burning some kind of coolant 2 right? :-/
Old 07-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Teching In

You dont have to be burning coolant for it to be a head gasket. There are three ways for it to be a head gasket, one is white smoke out the exhaust, two being milky oil, and three is coolant overflow filling without lose of coolant. If its in the overflow, remove it and put it back in the system. If its the amount thats missing from the rad, then there is pressure being put into the system. Take the rad cap off and will its cold and start the engine, look for little air bubbles to come up. It can idle to do this, dont rev it. If you see bubbles its the head gaskets.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

I'm having the same exact problem..My mechanic at work is going to look at it in a little bit. I will post what it is in a little bit. No smoke out the tail pipe,coolant was a little low . I took the cap off yesterday and started the car,the coolant dropped when it started moving and I added. Light went off for a while then came back on. This morning I watched the heat gauge. It rose really fast and stopped around 190 or 200.That's when the fan kicks in. Its only 60 degrees outside also. Mine hasn't overflowed tho.If its and intake or head gasket,would that be a good time to do a cam?
Old 07-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Teching In

sigh.... all shops around my area are busy for a little while.... **** stickels.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Teching In

It wouldn't be a intake gasket, lsx engines do not run coolant through the intake manifold. You also dont have to remove the heads to do a cam in these engines, but if you have them off and you want a cam go ahead and do it.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Banned

I seriously doubt its a head gasket, bethcha its a water pump gasket...classic issue with your symptoms.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Teching In

today im gonna put a new thermostat in it and see if there is any kind of leak around the water pump...
Old 08-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Teching In

just ended up being the thermostat thanks guys
Old 08-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Banned

Sorry but i seriously doubt it...if the tstat was bad it would be overheating while you were driving. I'm betting bad cap or a leak someplace.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99RTA
Could be low on coolant because of a air in the system or other trouble like a blocked rad or dirt blocking the outdside fins. Alot of reasons for cooking over when you shut off. My 99 did that when the water pump gaskets were leaking, it would leak a little at start up then stop. This caused the coolant level to be just low enough to cause the boiling over you describe. It doesn't take much.

Does the system look clean? rad clean? Carefully try this, with the engine cool pull the cap off and run the engine watching the coolant level until it starts to flow in the rad that you can see it moving. Then top it off put the cap on and take it for a drive. Be sure you are using good rad cap too.
mine would make gurgling sounds after driving and coming home and shutting it off.i ended up have a leak coming from the water pump gaskets with the same symptoms where the leak would come and go. i replaced the gaskets and it has been good since.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99RTA
Sorry but i seriously doubt it...if the tstat was bad it would be overheating while you were driving. I'm betting bad cap or a leak someplace.
cap was replaced with it didnt even think that could have fixed it 2.