Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pump suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default oil pump suggestions

ok so i lost oil pressure this morning, completely. i didnt take any chances so i shut it down imediately and its getting towed to g-force in the morning. they told me a couple different reasons why it might have happened. one is clogged pick up or some other section of the pump, another is the o-ring might have unseated. but anyways i will find out tomorrow. the real question is what oil pump is best for me. we all know the stock ls1 unit has much room for improvement, so i think i will just go ahead and replace it. the car is a 2000 ss m6, 50k on the clock, nothing but high grade synthetic since day 1, mods now are TSP 3" o/r x-pipe, LT's, lid/filter, bellow, hurst. but i was planning on having a custom ground comp 232/236 cam put in untill this happened. also was going to eventually do the fast 90/90. now i know TSP has a ported and shimmed ls6 pump, but is that over kill for me? would a stock ls6 pump be good enough? also i've heard the SLP heavy duty pump was good too.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm happy with my ported ls6 pump from TSP, 35-40 hot psi at idle and 80 psi at wide open throttle.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Melling great I use it, many have used it with no issues. I am running their HO +18% pressure weather it wants it or not. I have no issues.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

ok so after i talked to the guys at g-force i decided to go with the melling. it just sounds too bullet proof and efficient not to use it. but anyways since the motor is apart i decided to go ahead and do the cam. but after this whole ordeal i just didnt feel comfortable putting a high lift cam in. so i played it safe and went with TSP's 224r(224/224, .581/.581). its also getting pushrods, springs, and maybe a timing set.

so that brings the list to:
lid/filter/bellow
hurst billet pro
224r
comp springs
comp pushrods
SLP double roller timing set?maybe?
pacesetter LT's
3" TD's w/ dynomax bullets

and of course video will come post installation.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We can set you up with a package for everything if you'd like! We carry the Rollmaster and In Motion single-roller and double-roller timing sets, and we keep all of them in stock. The double-rollers are adjustable, but this is worthless for most since they will never mess with adjusting the position of the camshaft in the engine. Your other option would be to run a GM LS2 timing chain with your factory upper and lower sprockets. This is the most popular route for our customers, and it will work great. Feel free to give us a call, and we'll get you setup!

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
ok so after i talked to the guys at g-force i decided to go with the melling. it just sounds too bullet proof and efficient not to use it. but anyways since the motor is apart i decided to go ahead and do the cam. but after this whole ordeal i just didnt feel comfortable putting a high lift cam in. so i played it safe and went with TSP's 224r(224/224, .581/.581). its also getting pushrods, springs, and maybe a timing set.

so that brings the list to:
lid/filter/bellow
hurst billet pro
224r
comp springs
comp pushrods
SLP double roller timing set?maybe?
pacesetter LT's
3" TD's w/ dynomax bullets

and of course video will come post installation.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

hey trevor, thanks for the advice. i'm really lookin forward to puttin that 224r on the dyno. and then of course on the street
Old 07-17-2009, 11:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a fantastic cam on the street. You're going to have fun.

Keep us posted on the results!

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 07-17-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

will do, hopefully i will have some free time when it gets put on the rollers, and get some good vid of it making a couple runs. if not ill still post the numbers, and ill def make a good vid of it on the street.

oh and btw i was going to ask, what would be a good streetable clutch to match the increase in power?
Old 07-17-2009, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I have heard mixed reviews from Mieling Oil Pumps. I have always had Ported LS6 Oil Pumps and never have had a problem, but I know of two people that have done engine builds and had mieling oil pumps fail. Thats my 2 cents!
Old 07-17-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

how mild/wild was there set up though? just curious. cuz i plan on maxing out my set up at @ 400rwhp. my car is just a daily driven toy. not a serious race car or anything.

p.s. its M-E-L-L-I-N-G
Old 07-17-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever
I have heard mixed reviews from Mieling Oil Pumps. I have always had Ported LS6 Oil Pumps and never have had a problem, but I know of two people that have done engine builds and had mieling oil pumps fail. Thats my 2 cents!
Everything fails at one time or another nothing is for sure. I am running a 400+ rwhp H/C set up. and every one I know that runs 400+ to about 600 they are happy with their Melling product. They are bullet proof as stated before. If you go with the 18%+ flow there are 3 ways u don't get oil pressure, the pic up tube is plugged, you didn't put oil in the your engine or the car is off and even with the car off I think the pump is still trying to make sure you have pressure.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

^ +1

i am leaning towards money well spent

lol if it fails ill let u kno
Old 07-19-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

melling 296 here