Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to ID a GM LS1 Hot Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mail it to me in Cincinnati , I have a surface plate /V-blocks and a heigth gauge ...if it is what it's supposed to be I'll PayPal you the asking price.

What's the lobe lift from base circle dia.suposed to be on these cams?
Old 07-17-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry - I can't resist it any longer. My response to the title:

"How to ID a GM LS1 Hot Cam?"

- It's running in 2nd place.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram

The GMPP Hot Cam a street cam designed to run in an LS1 and boost performance with few or no other mods. It was never designed to run like an MS4 or Polluter. And they do exactly what they are advertised to do. That statement of yours was funny, but not even remotely fair. lol
Old 07-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 3+3Crawler
Mail it to me in Cincinnati , I have a surface plate /V-blocks and a heigth gauge ...if it is what it's supposed to be I'll PayPal you the asking price.

What's the lobe lift from base circle dia.suposed to be on these cams?
When I put it back up for sale I'll post a link if you're still interested.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Because I want to sell this again, here's the email I received from the guy I bought it from, email received last night. I found his original email from March 2009 when I bought the cam and he mentioned Patriot Springs which seemed a bit odd with a Hot Cam so I asked about that too:

"Hi David, That cam is a GM LS1 HOTCAM not a knockoff. I personally installed the cam and Speed Inc installed the 918 springs. When I swapped out heads later on, thats when the Patriot dual springs and such were installed but both setups barely had any miles really on them considering I didnt drive in winter and the car wasnt driven much within the last 2 years. I dont know if they have an invoice for the work dating back to 2001/2002 and I dont remember where or when(at the time probably Thunder Racing, Speed Inc or Texas Speed) I bought the cam as I stock piled my parts prior to installing them.

I am confused as to what "push back" you would have gotten from based on the markings you verified though. Sorry I dont have much more info for your resell, I was the original owner and thats the same cam that went into my car."

Knowing this guy, how quickly he responded and the consistency of his story and seeing his car (I bought it from his home out of his garage), knowing that others have installed GM Hot Cams with the same markings, I am completely confident that what I sold was exactly what I represented; a GMPP Hot Cam.

As soon as I receive it back I will put it up for sale if anyone is interested ahead of time send me a PM.

Thanks for those that posted here to help us figure this out.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:19 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Glad gTo Be Back
Interesting, thanks. The cam is being sent back to me whether its a Hot Cam or not. I do have one question, if the Hot Cam can work in Gen 3 and Gen 4 is there something that needs to change with the cam sensor, I was under the impression that Gen 3 were in the rear of the engine, Gen 4 was in the front?

If it works in both, this might be a nice upgrade for LS3 Vette, G8 and Camaro owners as well, especially some Vette owners that don't like to do non-GM mods. Also why include the lifters, are they required? Just curious.

Thanks
All of the aftermarket/gmpp cams have the ring on the back for Gen3 engines. They will ALL work on Gen4 because they pick up the signal from the cam gear, so the cam core doesn't matter at that point. It will work in any of them

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 07-19-2009, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram

When I had the old grind hotcam way back in 02 (218/224 .525/.525 112LSA) I got it to 11.80's on a 3700# car. Now a days it isn't as impressive but for it's time it ran pretty good and the kit cost hundred less then most other kits. Got 30MPG with a 6 speed on the interstate too. In fact it is still going strong in my friends car witha pair of stock LS6 heads is turning around 400RWH/400RWTQ on an A4 car. Now I know it is no T-Rex but you can actually drive the car on the road. Anyway, if you still have it in a couple weeks I might be interested for a 6.0 engine I'm doing. I'll let you know
Old 07-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Batman WS-6
When I had the old grind hotcam way back in 02 (218/224 .525/.525 112LSA) I got it to 11.80's on a 3700# car. Now a days it isn't as impressive but for it's time it ran pretty good and the kit cost hundred less then most other kits. Got 30MPG with a 6 speed on the interstate too. In fact it is still going strong in my friends car witha pair of stock LS6 heads is turning around 400RWH/400RWTQ on an A4 car. Now I know it is no T-Rex but you can actually drive the car on the road. Anyway, if you still have it in a couple weeks I might be interested for a 6.0 engine I'm doing. I'll let you know
It's a great cam, they tested it in the book "DYNO-PROVEN GM LS1 thru LS7 Performance Parts".

On an LS6 crate engine with and LS1 cam, headers, mufflers, etc; the GMPP Hot Cam swap netted 30hp and 35 ft-lbs of torque. The most impressive thing about this cam is the torque curve on this swap, the 35 ft-lbs is down at 3300 rpms. For sure out of the 8 cam tests/dyno runs this one increased the torque the most.

I'm almost talking myself into keeping it for my 408 build But I have to build it first so I have to raise some capitol.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Teching In

Unfortunately the saga continues.

I logged onto my computer this morning and Ford_Assassin has filed a paypal claim for $160. I was planning to pay him $150 as agreed in emails and in this thread. I'm really struggling to understand. Here's the facts:

1. You bought an GM Hot Cam from me.
2. You complained about the markings after you received it, even though they were clearly identified in the auction pictures
3. You claimed it was not an GM Hot Cam and asked for refund w/o shipping $150 (I have the email, so does ebay)
4. Although I did not have to, I agreed to refund your purchase price.
5. You lied (in this thread) about what a vendor told you to help support your case.
6. In the mean time we've pretty much proven it is exactly what you wanted a GM LS1 Hot Cam
- Your insistenance that GM stamps all cams was debunked by the vendor you called (in this thread above)
- Another member installed a Hot Cam with the same markings
- The guy I bought it from (is an administrator for brewcitymuscle.com) bought it new and is available

An now you want to split the shipping with me? What happend to our agreement we had, which again I did not have to make with you. You should not be buying on ebay or anywhere. Buyers/Sellers - look out for this guy!

Bottom line, I'm still a man of my word, I will refund your $150 you will and should eat all of the shipping costs for 1) buying something you wern't sure about and 2) Sending it back even though we have we finished the research you should have done before the purchase to prove it is a GM LS1 Hot Cam. I hope to never see or deal with you again.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Talking

Unfortunately the saga continues.

I logged onto my computer this morning and Ford_Assassin has filed a paypal claim for $160. I was planning to pay him $150 as agreed in emails and in this thread. I'm really struggling to understand. Here's the facts:

1. You bought an GM Hot Cam from me.
2. You complained about the markings after you received it, even though they were clearly identified in the auction pictures
3. You claimed it was not an GM Hot Cam and asked for refund w/o shipping $150 (I have the email, so does ebay)
4. Although I did not have to, I agreed to refund your purchase price.
5. You lied (in this thread) about what a vendor told you to help support your case.
6. In the mean time we've pretty much proven it is exactly what you wanted a GM LS1 Hot Cam
- Your insistenance that GM stamps all cams was debunked by the vendor you called (in this thread above)
- Another member installed a Hot Cam with the same markings
- The guy I bought it from (is an administrator for brewcitymuscle.com) bought it new and is available

An now you want to split the shipping with me? What happend to our agreement we had, which again I did not have to make with you. You should not be buying on ebay or anywhere. Buyers/Sellers - look out for this guy!

Bottom line, I'm still a man of my word, I will refund your $150 you will and should eat all of the shipping costs for 1) buying something you wern't sure about and 2) Sending it back even though we have we finished the research you should have done before the purchase to prove it is a GM LS1 Hot Cam. I hope to never see or deal with you again.

The saga? Wow, this is an epic moment for you, isn't it?

Your really struggling to understand? I bet you really struggle to understand lots of things, no surprise there.

You are one of those people that really like the sound of your own voice, aren't you?

One of those that has to make your business, everyone's business?

Starved for attention as a child?

I'll reply to your points one at a time.

1. Really? No ****??
2. A foggy/dark pic and a Comp Cams box? Yup, I saw those!!
3. Yes, but then you replied, "...I will refund everything." (I too have the email and so does eBay)
4. No you didn't have to refund my money willingly, but the end result would of been the same. PayPal would of taken the money and refunded it to me after I won the dispute. If you were a "man of your word" it would of been $164.70 like you you said.
5. I didn't lie, I was repeating EXACTLY what Victor told me from SDparts.com but its my word against his and I wasn't going to get into a pissing match with Jesse over a bunch of "he said, she said" bullshit.
6. Pretty much proven? To whom, yourself? Are you ******* serious? Is that like "I pretty much won the lottery, except I lost my ticket, but others saw that I had the winning numbers"? What a ******* joke.

I don't care who you bought it from or all the nice things you have to say about him, but what the **** does being an admin on another site have to do with anything? All that tells us is he put his dick in your *** and now your swinging by his *****.

"Buyer/sellers - look out for this guy!"? Checkout my feedback dipshit, 197 to your 23? Yup, I think your on to something smart guy!!

Bottom line, you are not a man of your word. I will accept your refund of $150 just to be done with your stupid ***. Oh, I did eat all the shipping costs, both ways. If you had done the HONORABLE thing instead of airing your dirty laundry here in a lame attempt to make yourself feel better it would of resulted in positive feedback and we would of gone our separate ways.

1) I bought something based on your word, lesson learned. 2) I sent it back because you didn't proof dick-****. No worries, I'll never deal with you again and if I ever saw you in person I'd be the one who would point and laugh at you.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to the buyer: go to sears and get a caliper and spec the cam out. dont say its not a hotcam if you cant prove it
Old 07-24-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wink

Originally Posted by slayerized6
to the buyer: go to sears and get a caliper and spec the cam out. dont say its not a hotcam if you cant prove it
A little late to the punch are we? The cam has already been returned and received by Dave.

Anyway....

Caliper would hardly tell anyone anything but maybe lobe lift and a rough measurement at that. It wouldn't read duration, ramp rates, LSA, intake centerline, or anything else to read cam specs.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ford_Assassin

3. Yes, but then you replied, "...I will refund everything." (I too have the email and so does eBay)
If you are going to quote me don't take it out of context to support your lies. Here's my email quote "If indeed it is NOT a Hot Cam I will refund everything. If it is the Hot Cam you wanted you should honor your commitment to buy."

Your post and your honesty speak volumes about you.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wink

If you are going to quote me don't take it out of context to support your lies. Here's my email quote "If indeed it is NOT a Hot Cam I will refund everything. If it is the Hot Cam you wanted you should honor your commitment to buy."

Your post and your honesty speak volumes about you.
What? That's it? Pfff.... That's pretty weak Smalls.

I've got some bad news for you Davey. You didn't prove dick ****. The burden of proof is/was yours fuckstick, and you didn't proof anything other than your a moron.

Have you ever noticed that people around you speak to you a slow, calm, constant tone of voice? There is a reason for that.

Let me break it down for you again in case you are really struggling to understand again. Just because the previous owner wrote you a love letter, a few others said it might be, and another guy said he had a cam with 033 on the back isn't proof, now if your previous lover/owner had a receipt, or else someone had produced pics of another suppose Hot Cam with similar markings, that might of been another story.

Stick to play dough you tard, its more to your level, and for **** sake stop eating it!!

Have a nice day.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Seriously, Are you still in High School? Wow, it's actually somewhat entertaining to see your rants. Good luck with your build.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

yeah, wow, hope you lose your paypal claim with an attitude like that. Having been on Ebay for years selling stuff I can tell you there is a 95% chance paypal is gonna give you nothing. I would accept the $150.00 if he is willing to give it to you still. Your claim won't meet the criteria for "item is not as described" unless you can prove it ISN'T the LS1 hotcam, which will be very hard since all appearances are that it is. If you get the cam back Glad, LMK, I am 99% sure I'll take it from you if you want to sell. I'd prefer the old grind or an ASA cam, but looks like you are offering up a pretty good deal.
-Nick
Old 07-25-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wink

Seriously, Are you still in High School? Wow, it's actually somewhat entertaining to see your rants. Good luck with your build.
God I wish I was still that young to be in High School. I am glad you have a sense of humor. Thank you for the build comment, same to you, seriously.

Originally Posted by Batman WS-6
yeah, wow, hope you lose your paypal claim with an attitude like that. Having been on Ebay for years selling stuff I can tell you there is a 95% chance paypal is gonna give you nothing. I would accept the $150.00 if he is willing to give it to you still. Your claim won't meet the criteria for "item is not as described" unless you can prove it ISN'T the LS1 hotcam, which will be very hard since all appearances are that it is. If you get the cam back Glad, LMK, I am 99% sure I'll take it from you if you want to sell.
-Nick
Hey Nick, have you even read anything? Its done. As I already posted, Dave received the cam on Thursday 7/23/2009 and I accepted the $150 yesterday.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

So, does the "033" marking on the cam have anything to do with the Hot Cam part number of 12480033? Or is that just coincidence?
Old 08-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Teching In

So, does the "033" marking on the cam have anything to do with the Hot Cam part number of 12480033? Or is that just coincidence
?
Old 08-15-2009, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

So is that "Hot Cam" for sale? I had the same cam markings and all in my Camaro. Loved it to death. I blew the motor and cam wasn't salvagable.

Quick Reply: How to ID a GM LS1 Hot Cam?