Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is this a common thing to happen to gtp heads??!!?!!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry is this a common thing to happen to gtp heads??!!?!!?

stock bottom end,226/591/112 gtp cam, 4.8 gtp heads dual valve springs.

i have probably 2,000 miles on these heads and i was driving the other day and it started missing a little. i did not think it was a big deal, so i was driving along and got on it a bit and all of a sudden it was knocking bad, so i shut it down and got towed. the next day i took the valve cover off and one of the springs were broke to ****. the inner spring looked ok but the valve had to be hitting the piston as loud as it was. ( and here i thought the inner spring was there to keep the valve from hitting the piston! ? ) guess i was wrong. i guess i will be pulling the head soon!!!

has this happened to anybody else and is this something that is common!
Old 11-17-2003, 12:58 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Can't say I've heard of many dual springs breaking. Were they the larger diameter 1.4" springs or were they one of the smaller types?

I have duals on my GTP's, but Thunder Racing did them and they used the larger style springs (comp 987 I beleive).
Old 11-17-2003, 01:05 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Has nothing to do with the head. Has everything to do with the spring.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Train Rail
it started missing a little. i did not think it was a big deal, so i was driving along and got on it a bit
The second spring will keep the valve from dropping but it's not going to keep the lifter on the cam while you get on it a bit.....if you shut it down right after it starts missing you have a much better chance of not doing significant damage.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dual valve springs provide several advantages over single springs but they can not guarantee that valves will not contact pistons. They will usually prevent a valve from falling into the cylinder in the event of a broken spring. Nevertheless, neither one of the dual springs alone is equivalent to a healthy single spring and one of two springs broken is a serious problem. I can understand your “getting on it a bit” if the problem seemed like a misfire but it is also easy to see how a bad condition was made worse. I am sorry about your misfortune.

-Gary
Old 11-17-2003, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

should i go ahead and take the head off,or is there another way of checking things out so i do not have to go to the trouble? thanks for any help!!!!
Old 11-17-2003, 04:42 PM
TECH Veteran

I suppose you could replace the bad spring with the head on the car and then do a compression test to see if the valve is bent, the piston has a hole in it or both...

...If it was my car I would take the heads off, inspect everything and replace all the springs with a new set...