Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think my motor is F**KED!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think my motor is F**KED!?!

Well today after i changed my oil I went from mobile1 10/30 synthetic to napa 15/50 synthetic I went out and took the car for a drive.

I did a few WOT run and on the 3rd WOT it just started blowing smoke! I pull over and the dipstick is blown out and oil is everywhere!!!!!!! oil psi went almost maxed out...

Well i pull over and it goes puff-puff-puff-puff smoke out of the oil cap and dipstick tube. My boost guage still shows 10 vaccum just like befor at idle.

I am running 6 psi.... mods in sig.

What do you think it is? Piston or valve or something else?

Bad thing is im so broke its not funny and im out of a job in a month and a half! I just wanna

thanks,

Blaine
Old 07-20-2009, 10:02 PM
12 Second Club

i think you fried some rings...no joke last week i changed my oil to and than white smoke every where pulled the oil cap same thing pulled my plugs found #7 just as black as can be did a leakage test and #7 failed and air was rushing out the oil cap so your story sounds the same as mine...minus the boost part im not that cool...yetlol hope it help sry to hear tho
Old 07-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by SHibbY01WS6
i think you fried some rings...no joke last week i changed my oil to and than white smoke every where pulled the oil cap same thing pulled my plugs found #7 just as black as can be did a leakage test and #7 failed and air was rushing out the oil cap so your story sounds the same as mine...minus the boost part im not that cool...yetlol hope it help sry to hear tho
Damn this sucks! Gonna go pull number 7 plug quick......

will post what i pfind in a minute....
Old 07-20-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

So why did you change oil Mobil 1 to Napa 15/50?
Old 07-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Restricted User

when the motor oil gets hot oil pressure would drop to 30 at idle wanted it a little higher....

I only pulled 1,3,5,7.... none of them are black though 7 is the darkest but not black.... gonna have to do a compression test on all the cylinders tommarow.

plugs are in this order 1 3 5 7

same order as above 1 3 5 7

Old 07-20-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why on earth did you put 15-50 in there? 30 at idle is more than enough.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Restricted User

so do you think thats what did it? to much oil pressure? I didn't know there was such a thing......
Old 07-20-2009, 11:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad lifter guide maybe..... Who knows, could be a lot of things.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:46 PM
Restricted User

ok well got to looking at my boost guage and i thought i had the same amount of vaccume (8) as befor but actually i have (10) vaccum now!

How is this possible wouldnt i have lost vaccum???????
Old 07-20-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BAD_LS1
so do you think thats what did it? to much oil pressure? I didn't know there was such a thing......
Oil weights are set to flow through the different tolerances in oil journals/bearings at different engine temperatures. If you go out of these oil specs is because you either have done an engine build or a high millage engine, with time these tolerances are no longer as tight(old engines low oil pressure). That flow of oil creates the pressure needed to to make sure that all the bearings have the right separation between surfaces and the ease of flow through journals to reach the bearings and such.

When you raise that pressure all the pressure is on the journals and bearings specifically and it has no where to go. That's why some H/C packages have a catch can because even though the right oil is being used when you go to either a ported LS6 oil pump or a lets say a Melling they both are either a High output (LS6) or a High Pressure High Output more along the lines of Melling and a lot of pressure builds in the heads. The catch can helps relive that pressure.

When you don't have that device then the pressure goes out the path of least resistance hence your dip stick/seals and any weak area that is found in your block. Where ever that fault lies is where the oil will travel.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1BLWNUP_LS1
ok well got to looking at my boost guage and i thought i had the same amount of vaccume (8) as befor but actually i have (10) vaccum now!

How is this possible wouldnt i have lost vaccum???????
sorry to hear man...
Old 07-21-2009, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well sory to say this but possibly a combo of oil change and W.O.T.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:22 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 02*C5
Oil weights are set to flow through the different tolerances in oil journals/bearings at different engine temperatures. If you go out of these oil specs is because you either have done an engine build or a high millage engine, with time these tolerances are no longer as tight(old engines low oil pressure). That flow of oil creates the pressure needed to to make sure that all the bearings have the right separation between surfaces and the ease of flow through journals to reach the bearings and such.

When you raise that pressure all the pressure is on the journals and bearings specifically and it has no where to go. That's why some H/C packages have a catch can because even though the right oil is being used when you go to either a ported LS6 oil pump or a lets say a Melling they both are either a High output (LS6) or a High Pressure High Output more along the lines of Melling and a lot of pressure builds in the heads. The catch can helps relive that pressure.

When you don't have that device then the pressure goes out the path of least resistance hence your dip stick/seals and any weak area that is found in your block. Where ever that fault lies is where the oil will travel.
so your saying im a dumbass for putting to heavy of weight oil in my motor and i fucked it up!

just dont understand why i have horrible blowbye now but better idle vaccum? lol

If i put 10-30 back in do you think it would help out the smoking/blowbye issue? or am i just fu*ked?
Old 07-21-2009, 12:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think you'rethinking about the oil weights all wrong. 15-50 is much thicker so therefore it's harder for it to flow through oil passages. This will cause a higher oil pressure but can still mean that you're actually flowing less oil. It's possible that you actually starved your engine of oil even though it's showing higher oil pressure.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1BAD_LS1
so your saying im a dumbass for putting to heavy of weight oil in my motor and i fucked it up!

just dont understand why i have horrible blowbye now but better idle vaccum? lol

If i put 10-30 back in do you think it would help out the smoking/blowbye issue? or am i just fu*ked?
Ok I would not say dumb *** just ignorant to the fact and that is not bad its a learning curve. I put 50 weight racing oil in my mustang as a 16 year old kid because I thought that it would help because I had an "HO" engine LOL. I lived in Chicago at the time and it was winter hahahahaha.

If you have blowbye that means your rings are fucked, remember they are made to expand as the engine gets hotter riding on a thin cover film oil on the cylinder wall creating that vacume and keeping the piston off the cylinder wall. What has happened probably is that as the ring is getting hotter its expanding remember the tolerances of the rings are about the tightest of all. If there where issues with the rings it was either going to take time, or something going horribly wrong. You just speeded the process.

If you keep trying to make it work your piston is going want to weld itself to the cylinder wall, this I know about remebert that mustang i told u about...well yeah.

Last edited by 02*C5; 07-21-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Benner
I think you'rethinking about the oil weights all wrong. 15-50 is much thicker so therefore it's harder for it to flow through oil passages. This will cause a higher oil pressure but can still mean that you're actually flowing less oil. It's possible that you actually starved your engine of oil even though it's showing higher oil pressure.
If your engine is made for 5W30 and you put 15W50 whats going to happen is that you are either going to starve your engine of oil or your going to blow something or both. The oil backs up because it is too thick to travel through the journal fast enough, then it pushes back into the bearing, Now what you are creating is pressure in one side of the journal and starving the engine on the other. Why you say this because the closer the bearing lets say the crank bearing is closer to the oil pump, that pump is going to push that oil regardless the weight. The engine relies on the oil pressure, vacuum pressure and to include gravity to flow successfully around the engine. The further the oil gets from the pump it relies on the other two more and more to make sure to get that oil back to the pan and pump.

Once that cycle is broken then guess what you have issues. On one side the pressure is building to the point it will explode and on the other there is no oil. The pressure is going to release one way or the other and when you have a catastrophic failure that pressure cant release fast enough. It will blow out one way or another.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:43 AM
Launching!

how many miles are on this motor?? because yes i think it has alot to do with the thick oil you ran but also your running some boost... how much and for how long?
Old 07-21-2009, 03:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blades11b
how many miles are on this motor?? because yes i think it has alot to do with the thick oil you ran but also your running some boost... how much and for how long?
Okay not really familiar with boost setups that aren't OEM so correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't you want to run a thinner oil to help suffice the need from the turbo's?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I would put a quality 10w30 oil in there and check your pcv system out and that probly would solve this problem.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:54 AM
11 Second Club

You have a broken piston or ring.