Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

startup

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default startup

i have a 99 ta and a 79 ta. the question is about the 79. how do i do an oil pressure start up on it. I can unplug the distributer so i dont get spark, but its a mechanical fuel pump. how do i not get fuel to the engine?
Old 11-18-2003, 06:00 PM
TECH Junkie

If you dont know how to do this, then chances are you wont get the distributor back on right, but here goes. Mark the distributor at the block so you can put it back where it originaly was. Pull the cap off and pull the distributor out (it will twist a bit upon removal so watch which way it goes). The oil pump is run by the distributor so use an extention that will grab onto the oil pump and turn it with an electric drill untill you have oil pressure. Put the distributor back in. You will have to turn it as your going to put it back in right (opposite of the way it came out). Now dont worry about priming the carb, just pour a small amount of gas into the open carb and crank the engine until it kicks, keep pumping the gas pedal as you go. You may have to prime it like that a few times to make her go, but it should work.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

You also COULD un hook the fuel pump from the block and crank it over to build pressure but the proper way of doing this is the way dale stated.