Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First LS1 Engine build... need parts help

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First LS1 Engine build... need parts help

Im working with a ls1 short block and Ms3 cam.

My camaro is a 98 six speed with 4.10 rear. I am having some troubles trying to figure out exactly what parts i should go with. I have a set 853 heads with matching springs ready for the cam specs. I also have a set of ls2 6.0 heads with rockers and rods. Which brings me to my first question... Should i use the 853's or swap all the parts onto the 6.0 heads? I know ill be sacrifcing compression for more flow with the ls2 heads but is it worth it?

I know im sure ill need bigger injectors but what size???? Im going with a bigger intake manifold (FAST or LS6, maybe a BBK SSi) and a throttle body to match. I am also using Hooker LT's and an X-pipe.

Any helpful advice will be great, this is my second camaro. Iv had a 93 Lt1 that i built nicely and now my Ls1, im by no means an expert but i believe its better to learn the hard way than pay someone to do it for you.

I live in the St. Louis area and plan on takin the car to be tuned by PBJ (performance by joe), Redline or PUR performance. If you have any feedback please feel free!
Old 07-25-2009, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the LS2 heads, they'll be slightly more compression, and will make more power than the 853 heads. Don't swap out the injectors at first, wait until you are sure you need them, I go 10.60's on the stock LS1 injectors.