Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me pick my heads for 6.0. AFR or TFS

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Help me pick my heads for 6.0. AFR or TFS

I just cant decide on which head I need and want. I think I have it narrowed down to the TFS 225 or the AFR 225. I started out looking at the TFS 215 thinking it would help out the lower RPM velocity. I am currently running a 6.0 LQ4. So I have the 4" bore, that made me start looking into the 225cc. This engine combo will probably last 2 years or so until the funds for a 408+ CI comes. So I am really trying to get heads that will compliment both setups, if thats possible. I worried the 225 will lose power down low with a little 364CI. Thoughts?

Anyone think I should still be looking at 215's even though I have a 4" bore? The TFS heads turn me away just based on the fact I have to run new rockers. Anyone with info on the new AFR 215? What should I be looking into here?
Old 07-26-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

With either head I would believe aftermarket roller rockers are advised. With either heads the stockers may give less than desireable valvetrain geometry.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ The AFR was designed as a drop in replacement. No aftermarker rockers are needed with them.

Sounds like you kind of answered your own question by way of the rocker situation. If you don't want to have to by new rockers then the AFR is the answer. You also have the PRC to look at as well for slightly less money than the AFR.

I've got AFR's on sale and will cut you a sweet deal on a set of them when you make your decision. I am not carrying the PRC as of yet but hope to do so shortly. I do carry the TFS as well though so I can help you with either of them right now
Old 07-26-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, if I stay with stock rockers and AFR, does valve guide wear come into play running stockers? If I 'had' to buy new rockers, the it would be TFS all the way.

Any thoughts on the 215 or 225. Its a stock 364 LQ4. Dished piston. Thats just another problem I see trying to make work now, and in the future. The dished LQ4 piston is not going to like a big chambered head. 215 or 225? With a 4" bore how much low RPM TQ would I be losing?
Old 07-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it all depends on the cam. Consider this: most cnc'ed oem heads have a larger intake runner than 225cc. TM might suggest a set of 205's with his additional porting done to them to pick up some flow and maintain the velocity. But thats a lot more money. AFR now has the 215 which was designed for the LS2 and up as well so thats a good thought for your situation.

IF you go 225:
Hard to say how much the 225's will soften the bottom end up, it will effect it some AFR comes right out and tells you that. I'd be inclined to keep the cam on the smaller side and use the 225's if your planning for the future. OR you can always go with 205's and then sell them later and pick up the 225's. Used 205's for $1800 sell quick. Yes you would take a small loss on them but its not really a loss if you use them for 2 years before selling them.

I'd be looking at the 215 if I were you.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hi-Po
Alright, if I stay with stock rockers and AFR, does valve guide wear come into play running stockers? If I 'had' to buy new rockers, the it would be TFS all the way.

Any thoughts on the 215 or 225. Its a stock 364 LQ4. Dished piston. Thats just another problem I see trying to make work now, and in the future. The dished LQ4 piston is not going to like a big chambered head. 215 or 225? With a 4" bore how much low RPM TQ would I be losing?
the tfs heads don't need rockers just because they are "tfs heads." it’s because the bronze is a softer metal than oem guides....the roller tip rockers are meant to reduce deflection of the valves against the guides.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Well it all depends on the cam. Consider this: most cnc'ed oem heads have a larger intake runner than 225cc. TM might suggest a set of 205's with his additional porting done to them to pick up some flow and maintain the velocity. But thats a lot more money. AFR now has the 215 which was designed for the LS2 and up as well so thats a good thought for your situation.

IF you go 225:
Hard to say how much the 225's will soften the bottom end up, it will effect it some AFR comes right out and tells you that. I'd be inclined to keep the cam on the smaller side and use the 225's if your planning for the future. OR you can always go with 205's and then sell them later and pick up the 225's. Used 205's for $1800 sell quick. Yes you would take a small loss on them but its not really a loss if you use them for 2 years before selling them.

I'd be looking at the 215 if I were you.
Thanks. So the AFR 215 is also meant for the 4" bore? If I remember correctly the TFS 215 was not. I want to hear more about these AFR 215's. They are a pretty recent idea are they not?
Originally Posted by A_Cool_Name
the tfs heads don't need rockers just because they are "tfs heads." it’s because the bronze is a softer metal than oem guides....the roller tip rockers are meant to reduce deflection of the valves against the guides.
Yes, Yes I know. Bronze guides are an option in the AFR line. I saw a nice set of AFR for sale here, but they had the bronze guides and that turned me away.

AFR 215cc sound like a good meal ticket so far. I think they would perform great on both motors.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

One thing you get with AFR is access to Tony Mamo who designed the heads. Why not shoot him a PM, ask him your questions based on you current plans and future plans (you can even call him). He can offer some advice and then buy them 99blancoSS. Kind of the best of both worlds.

Everyone seems to talk about TFS like they make a zillion more HP, but they don't and I would even question if they make any more than AFR. I like the fact AFR is readily accessible if you have questions and they stand behind their product (proven).
Old 07-26-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just PM'd Tony. In my mind, AFR 215 would be perfect with my 4" bore. My last head scratcher is what CC to mill them to with my dished piston. And be able to run the heads on a 408 build also.

Quick Reply: Help me pick my heads for 6.0. AFR or TFS