Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Melling oil pumps dont fit behind stock front cover??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Melling oil pumps dont fit behind stock front cover??

I just tried a Melling M295 oil pump and it hit the timing chain, I couldnt even bar the engine over....then I got a Melling M-select oil pump that a vette shop puts on all their motors so I figured must work right? I put it on and there's a hair gap between the chain and the boss where the pickup tube goes in (where the first pump was hitting) so I took it off and filed off a tiny bit of material to make me happy of any clearance issues...It was all good then I go and put the front cover on and the pump is hitting the inside of the cover..WTF..so I put the other melling pump on for ***** and giggles and did the same, I put on the stock gm pump on without the gasket and it hit, used the gasket and it fit but barely...It does have a double roller and am using the pump shims but I'm sure people are running melling pumps with a double roller set no?
Old 07-26-2009, 06:59 PM
9 Second Club

I know with a GM pump and the shims for the DR there was a hairline of clearance exactly where you stated your having an issue. I took a Dremel to the inside of the cover to provide a li more breathing room. The Melling pumps I have no idea. I used a Melling for my LS2 but am running the C5R single row chain so clearance was not an issue.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JFM-jr
I know with a GM pump and the shims for the DR there was a hairline of clearance exactly where you stated your having an issue. I took a Dremel to the inside of the cover to provide a li more breathing room.

So you clearance the area on the pump thats close to the chain (like me) or ground away on the front cover?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Im running the melling and a double roller chain and had no issues at all. Is the crank sprocket all the way pushed back?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Yup I had thought of that too, I gave it a few whacks to make sure it was fully seated which it was...
Old 07-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Notmyvette
So you clearance the area on the pump thats close to the chain (like me) or ground away on the front cover?
clearance the front cover not the pump
Old 07-27-2009, 10:08 PM
9 Second Club

^^^ correct
Old 07-28-2009, 01:08 AM
Launching!

My issue is solved with using the gm pump which is a thinner weaker looking casting but what if the case was where the clearance between the chain and pump was too small, then you would have to clearance it at the pump

Quick Reply: Melling oil pumps dont fit behind stock front cover??