Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low oil pressure Barbell Plug?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Low oil pressure Barbell Plug?

I know all the possibilities of low oil pressure what I'm concerned about is where to find the barbell plug and can I get to it with the motor in the car. The motor was rebuilt recently and I have low oil pressure now (12psi @idle). I have checked the o ring at the pump and even replaced the pump. After talking to the builder he said he had no idea if it was in or not. Please help!
Old 07-30-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the barbell plug. The barbell plug is under the rear cover on the drivers side. You can do it with the motor in the car but you have to pull the trans/rear cover. Easy way to tell if it's there before you drop the trans is to look through the hole just above the oil filter. There is an allen plug there, remove it and use a flashlight to look up into the hole. If you see a small circular plastic rod up there the barbell plug is installed, if you don't, it's not and you'll need to install it.

Good luck man.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

I pulled the plug off above the oil filter and i didn't see anything in there. But when i pulled the plug out a little oil along with some coolant came out. Is that normal. Why would there be water in there?
Old 07-31-2009, 02:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KOOSWS6
I pulled the plug off above the oil filter and i didn't see anything in there. But when i pulled the plug out a little oil along with some coolant came out. Is that normal. Why would there be water in there?
Shouldn't be water in there. Condensation maybe? There will be oil in there though if that plug is not there though. That plug directs the oil down through the oil filter and then up the oil pressure sender. Looks like you'll be pulling the trans though. Good luck man. Next time you fire it you should have great oil pressure! Just a positive thought.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:54 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks But it was definitly coolant where it came from i don't know. Unless the builder messed something else up. This was his first LS1.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KOOSWS6
Thanks But it was definitly coolant where it came from i don't know. Unless the builder messed something else up. This was his first LS1.
I dunno man, keep and eye on it I guess. Don't know what else to tell you really, other than you should not have had coolant coming out of that port...
Old 10-03-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
.....Easy way to tell if it's there before you drop the trans is to look through the hole just above the oil filter. There is an allen plug there, remove it and use a flashlight to look up into the hole. If you see a small circular plastic rod up there the barbell plug is installed, if you don't, it's not and you'll need to install it.....
What allen plug are you refering to? I've got a new motor sitting in the car with nothing hooked up (tranny is out, no front drive accessories or anything) and I'm just now finding out about this barbell plug and want to make sure it's in there.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

NVM, I found it. 8mm allen plug? Since the tranny is out and the exhaust manifolds aren't connected the cat on that side was in my way. I had to jack up the exhaust and then I found it! I can't get the sucker off though, the shop I took it to for the shortblock rebuild put on some locktight and I don't want to strip it. I guess I'll fire it up and see if it's got oil pressure.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TechCam97
NVM, I found it. 8mm allen plug? Since the tranny is out and the exhaust manifolds aren't connected the cat on that side was in my way. I had to jack up the exhaust and then I found it! I can't get the sucker off though, the shop I took it to for the shortblock rebuild put on some locktight and I don't want to strip it. I guess I'll fire it up and see if it's got oil pressure.
Yeah, that's it. If the tranny is out you could just pull the rear cover if you're concerned about it... I would rather check than fire it up on low oil pressure and find out that way. That's just me though...
Old 10-03-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
Yeah, that's it. If the tranny is out you could just pull the rear cover if you're concerned about it... I would rather check than fire it up on low oil pressure and find out that way. That's just me though...
Wouldn't I have to drop the oil pan as well? I'm going to try and find an 8MM allen bit that will work with my 3/8 inch drive ratchet to check it out.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Wouldn't I have to drop the oil pan as well? I'm going to try and find an 8MM allen bit that will work with my 3/8 inch drive ratchet to check it out.
Yeah, you'll have to slightly drop the oil pan. Just so you don't damage the gasket when removing/installing the rear cover. Either way, I would just check to make sure it's in there if you feel you have reason to doubt...

Only reason I suggested removing the rear cover was because you made it sound like you couldn't get the plug to pop loose and if it's missing you'll be removing the rear cover anyways to install one.

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure Barbell Plug?