Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever used a Bypass oil filter system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever used a Bypass oil filter system?

I have been hearing from a few people and reading up on a Bypass oil filter system that Amsoil makes. It basically puts an adapter on your stock oil filter location, and routes the oil to a unit that has a normal flowing filter as well as a bypass filter thats connected with a small valve to regulate oil flow. Supposedly with this setup the normal filter will do the regular old job, but the bypass filter which by itself would take a long time to filter all of the oil is supposed to filter out particles "up to one micron" in size so they say, practically returning perfectly fresh oil to the system. They also say with their synthetic that it only needs to be changed every 35k or 1 year!!!

Are they just blowing smoke up the *** or would a bypass system be worth it?? Ive never seen these before so im just curious what is known about them, i am neither for nor against them!
Old 08-02-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

It begs the question.. if it is so good and would be cheap as heck, why wouldn't it just come that way from the factory?
Old 08-02-2009, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

its nowhere near cheap as heck... i know a family friend who has a few used ones around i could pick up. But the actual kit brand spankin new with the special mount for the two filters run upwards of the mid 200's. plus the two filters total about 35. Not to mention their oil is $10/qt lol