Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve components required or not, for Torquer v.2 Camshaft ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve components required or not, for Torquer v.2 Camshaft ?

hi all,, my cousin recently bought the Texas Speed Torquer v.2 Camshaft (232/234_112 LSA) for his '04 LS6, we know nothing about the LS6 valve train. Do u guys think we also need to upgrade the valve train components for this cam (VS, Rtainers, RRs, PRs, guide plates, etc...) ???

any input would be appreciated
Old 08-02-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am sure you could just call or email texas speed who makes that cam and they can set you up with all the parts you will need. DO NOT install the cam without knowing for sure that you have all the correct matched parts. Otherwise engine failure is definitely in the near future.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You def must upgrade valvetrain. Stock springs aren't good that high, plus you will need hardened pushrods. Do a little search research on the LS motors and you'lls ee everything you need. They are not like old school motors!
Old 08-02-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

alright then we might get the Precision Spring & Pushrod Kit Item#:199 from TSP as well. shall we also get NSA RRs or will the stock RRs do? whats the stock RRs ratio?

wer on a tight buget
Old 08-02-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The stock RR's should be just fine, I am not real sure what the stock ratio is. Maybe someone could chime in and let you know for sure.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by monster81
hi all,, my cousin recently bought the Texas Speed Torquer v.2 Camshaft (232/234_112 LSA) for his '04 LS6, we know nothing about the LS6 valve train. Do u guys think we also need to upgrade the valve train components for this cam (VS, Rtainers, RRs, PRs, guide plates, etc...) ???

any input would be appreciated
You and your cousing should not install anything until YOU do A LOT of research. There's a lot to be searched on this site, use that knowledge, do it right.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why didn't he get the entire Torquer 2 cam kit from TSP, comes with PRC .660 springs, and hardened chromoly pushrods. Both of those are what you need to get as far as valvetrain components go. Stock RR ratio is 1.7, and they will work fine, no need to upgrade. You'll also want to get the cam install gasket kit and a crank bolt. Also, now would be a good time to get a ported LS6 oil pump and an LS2 timing chain/gears, and a U/D pulley. That should set you up with all of what you'll need to do the cam swap.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

Just installed this cam and love it. Sounds great. Prc spring kit with harden push rods is what
I got.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:14 AM
TECH Regular

thanx for all the info guys ,,guess we will leave the stock RRs on as they are.
i did a search looking for a good LS6 cam swap wright-up but couldnt find any! if anyone knows a link PM me please,,

Originally Posted by '02 WS6
Why didn't he get the entire Torquer 2 cam kit from TSP, comes with PRC .660 springs, and hardened chromoly pushrods. Both of those are what you need to get as far as valvetrain components go. Stock RR ratio is 1.7, and they will work fine, no need to upgrade. You'll also want to get the cam install gasket kit and a crank bolt. Also, now would be a good time to get a ported LS6 oil pump and an LS2 timing chain/gears, and a U/D pulley. That should set you up with all of what you'll need to do the cam swap.
he bought the cam used from a freind and he thought this could be a direct swap, but when i saw the intake/exhaust lift numbers i was like this is almost as big as my LT1s GM847 cam and valve train upgrade is probably required...i know that LS engines have better and higher quality internal engine and valve train components, but just wanted to make sure what we exactly need.
i think he will save the timing chain gears and UD pully for later but we will get the installation gasket kit for sure, imo we will be fine with the old crank bolts with some thread locking..
whats the advantage of a ported LS6 OP, higher volume or higher persure?
Old 08-03-2009, 03:02 AM
11 Second Club

U have to replace the crank bolt.